Past Guest Programs: Carnival, Celebrity, NCL, and RC

Tom-n-Cheryl

That would be the difference between us then. I have never EVER felt like I wasted time on any cruise ship.

Boy - we sure did... ONE time! :eek: The Imperial Majesty "Regal Empress"! For kicks, take a look at my review! LINK

This snippet from Wikipedia on the Regal Empress (LINK) was music to my ears:

The Regal Empress departed Freeport in early April to sail to her final destination in Alang. Her voyage took over 3 months to complete. During her voyage, she was renamed the Regal Tmpress. She was beached on 24 July 2009.[6] In October, scrapping began starting from the bow of the ship. The demolition of the ship was completed in early 2010.

I was almost singing "Ding-Dong! The Witch Is Dead" :D Sorry to gloat, do you get the feeling that we had a horrible time on that ship? As was pointed out, the ship was something in its day!!

Tom

Works for me!

Just put me on a boat :D ...which reminds me that I had something unusual happen to me over 4th of July weekend...went on a whale watch and got sea sick. :eek:

That hasn't happened to me in years. I thought I 'outgrew it' :rolleyes:

Who knew???

It was not fun :(

Edited by halos

Boy - we sure did... ONE time! :eek: The Imperial Majesty "Regal Empress"! For kicks, take a look at my review! LINK

Tom

I'll have to read that... :eek: I can't imagine how horrid it must have been for you to have a bad time.

This snippet from Wikipedia on the Regal Empress (LINK) was music to my ears:

The Regal Empress departed Freeport in early April to sail to her final destination in Alang. Her voyage took over 3 months to complete. During her voyage, she was renamed the Regal Tmpress. She was beached on 24 July 2009.[6] In October, scrapping began starting from the bow of the ship. The demolition of the ship was completed in early 2010.

I was almost singing "Ding-Dong! The Witch Is Dead" :D Sorry to gloat, do you get the feeling that we had a horrible time on that ship? As was pointed out, the ship was something in its day!!

Tom

I remember reading your review when I was obsessing over that ship going to the breakers. Lord only knows why I'd have any attachment to anything I've had no experience with but I remember watching her come into port on the Port Everglades webcams and although old, her lines were beautiful. It made me look her up in her heyday ...

I will admit to thinking who the heck do these Tom and Cheryl people think they are;):p ... I got over it when I realized that the ship really was well past her prime ... and even more so, I am glad that I finally figured out who the heck that Tom and Cheryl are:D

That would be the difference between us :)

I didnt mean it that literally. Of course I enjoyed my cruises, or I wouldnt still be cruising. Well, except for one cruise, I enjoyed the rest. That one not as much.

Consider it more of a poorly phrased "I wish I were diamond to go into the diamond lounge with my friend on Oasis this fall" ok? thats what I was really thinking. Of course I liked my Princess cruises too.

Sometimes people take you too literally when Im talking figuratively or just talking general.

A belated THANKS to Tom for, yet again, posting an informative comparison to help others with their research. :)

And hopefully they will get around to doing this. Amazing how long this is taking.

At some point earlier in the thread, several probably thought, "OK it's just a matter of time until Don pops in to do that annoying calendar thing on this subject.

Well, wait no longer - - here it is . . . :D

984 Days

2 years, 8 months, 12 days

per the Rip Van Berra iPhone app

At some point earlier in the thread, several probably thought, "OK it's just a matter of time until Don pops in to do that annoying calendar thing on this subject.

Well, wait no longer - - here it is . . . :D

984 Days

2 years, 8 months, 12 days

per the Rip Van Berra iPhone app

That is funny stuff there Don. But don't you think you're being a bit too harsh. Just give him a little more time... patience after all, is a virtue! ;)

Wait - since he was to evaluate the past guest program, I have seen some changes. I have some KEWL notepads and 6-pk coolers! Perhaps you are interested in some of my surplus?? :D

So to say he has done nothing is just plain wrong... wrong I tell you! :D

Perhaps he has plenty of good ideas (being optimistic here), but is hamstrung by the bean counters who would rather not invest any $ in such foolishness. I would rather blame a "big and faceless" corporation than an individual... but who knows!

Tom

. . . I have some KEWL notepads and 6-pk coolers! Perhaps you are interested in some of my surplus?? :D

Kinda like when you and sweet Cheryl decided that my own eleven picture frames would be better off as a baker's dozen?? :D

I also rescind my earlier 'nothing' observation.

There are the new Platinum Passenger ship pins.

The free drinks at night is the most popular benefit. You can keep your laundry if you give me a couple hours of free drinks per night.

10 cruises on Celebrity gets you both. Why limit yourself! :D

I have never seen the big deal of a sack of laundry on a 7 day cruise anyway. It has come in handy on some of the 11 day or longer ones however.

As you noted however free drinks for a couple of hours crushes a sack of laundry.

10 cruises on Celebrity gets you both. Why limit yourself! :D

I have never seen the big deal of a sack of laundry on a 7 day cruise anyway. It has come in handy on some of the 11 day or longer ones however.

As you noted however free drinks for a couple of hours crushes a sack of laundry.

Oh Im trying to get up all the loyalty ladders, lol. One at a time. Still mooning over cruising with a diamond on Nov Oasis, when I will be 4 days short.

Ill be honest, I have never tried the laundry myself. Just not my thing to send out my underwear to someone else and dont trust them even with my tee shirts. If I ever do another B2B Ill give it a try.

I too would like a system where we can pool ALL our cruises, on every cruiseline... and get up to the top tier of every cruiseline at once

Edited by firefly333

Oh Im trying to get up all the loyalty ladders, lol. One at a time. Still mooning over cruising with a diamond on Nov Oasis, when I will be 4 days short.

Ill be honest, I have never tried the laundry myself. Just not my thing to send out my underwear to someone else and dont trust them even with my tee shirts. If I ever do another B2B Ill give it a try.

I too would like a system where we can pool ALL our cruises, on every cruiseline... and get up to the top tier of every cruiseline at once

I have NEVER sent out laundry on a 7 day cruise. As you noted it is very handy for back to backs. I did B2B cruises on X last year that were both over 7 days so it was very handy for that. Just not enough room in one suit case for 20 something days worth of clean clothes.

Edited by dasmonkey

Kinda like when you and sweet Cheryl decided that my own eleven picture frames would be better off as a baker's dozen?? :D

I also rescind my earlier 'nothing' observation.

There are the new Platinum Passenger ship pins.

The new pins are fugly !

Free laundry is outstanding. Two suitcases have now become one.

If they set up special platinum lunch with officers for platinums would be nice benefit and would not cost them anything as they are feeding us anyway.

:D That is funny, but I get her.

I think the point is that people who once sailed soleley on CCL no longer do.

I didn't think I'd be booking another CCL cruise after the Hawaii one, then friends that we sail with chose CCL (because the dates and schedule fit best for them) I had a choice....say no because I'd rather sail another line, or sail with my friends.

Friends win every time. :)

It's not that I hate CCL...I just like it less than I used to because the way I see it, it isn't the same as it used to be. So, I no longer look to them first like I used to.

Thank you !

Just to clarify (not that it matters) I didnt canx the Dream cause we got an early saver rate so we are screwed if we canx, I LIKE the ports and havent been on the Dream before and have a cove balcony so that will be "new" to me.

Didnt canx the group cruise for Dec cause it's a great bunch of people and we will have a great time no matter what ship we are on - so THAT one is cause of the people, NOT the ship.

The European trip didnt canx cause we are going with friends as well. (not a group) Maybe I can do some research on other lines for a med. sailing next summer as an alternate.

I DID canx the Ecstasy, no problem with getting deposit back and now am booked on the Star instead out of Tampa.

So that's it - I dont need to justify to people why I'm fed up with CCl lack of loyality perks, or becoming bored with their ships. It's just time to try new lines and experience what they offer. Would also like to try Celebrity and probably will.

On our last cruise, the Fascination, only ONE bartender said "welcome back" when he saw our milestone cards and our room steward did as well. Nobody else said anything.

Edited by iluvdoxies

You actually made me laugh out loud. While I do agree with you, your "I'm taking my business else where except...." line got me going. So your not going to cruise them anymore except when you want to... ;)

My reply is now on the last page of this thread, I really had no choice.

Careful there now.... some Carnival flag bearers will consider this proof that I (and perhaps a select few others) have an agenda to steal away otherwise loyal Carnival guests to other lines. In reality, all that I offer are facts (to the best of my knowledge) - and when I throw in opinions, I try to note them as such. It is up to the cruiser to educate themselves with, not only what I and others post on here, but with research on their own.

** To REALLY be a "Cruise Critic" one has to critically evaluate all aspects of cruising. I am all for sticking with a cruise line if it is offering all that you feel you need. Just keep your mind and eyes open and don't blow off the possibility of change down the road. At one point I was a hard core advocate of "sailing only with Carnival". Perhaps I have mellowed with age! **

Fortunately FREE SPEECH is still relatively alive and well here on CC.

lol Tom. Fortunately, I CAN form my own opinions. Been itching to try other lines for a while now and the Epic just screamed my name after seeing the video and reading all she has to offer......and good reviews from fellow CC'ers are just icing on the cake !

Btw we changed our date to 2/4/12 and were able to get a 2 bedroom garden villa for evan a tinly bit less than our balcony penthouse garden suite, go figure/

Of course with 36 CCL cruises, I will def. keep an eye out for any changes to the past guest program.

Edited by iluvdoxies

I am just saying that being in the upper/middle of the 6 levels of the past guest program with Royal Caribbean earns you the TOP level when you trek over to Celebrity. Though the top level with Celebrity does not carry the same weight on Royal. Like I said, it's definitely better than nothing! Having a 6 level tier program trying to mesh with a 3 level program presents complications. My feeling is that's it easier to get to the "top" with Celebrity than it is with Royal (as a function of actually sailing the individual lines) - so I am not upset at all with the prospect of jumping over there with Diamond status. I am not sure, but my guess is that when we do sail on Royal that we'll start out with 80 points - as a starting point towards Diamond Plus. It would appear that the only real additional perk of Diamond Plus over Diamond is a "personalized gift" and access to the concierge lounge. What does access to the "concierge lounge" entitle one to?

THANKS!

Tom

RCI serves breakfast and lunch in the Concierge Lounge. Also serves drinks and Hors d'œuvre. Think the drinks might be all day, but we only went prior to dinner. The concierge can also book the excursions and specialty restaurants for you. This is for suites and Diamond Plus members.

I am sure there were other things, but don't recall them.

• 1 month later...
I just wanted to add that (if I am understanding it correctly) Princess and Cunard reciprocate perks as well.

(since they did before purchased by Carnival Corporation)....

I don't ever see Carnival reciprocating perks because their cruises are so inexpensive....but it would give me just another reason to try Princess if they did.... (at least for Milestone)....

You got it! I really enjoyed my Princess cruise! Platinum on Carnival, nearing in on milestone.

One of my friends though pointed out on Princess, he got first stock mini bar, free *dry* cleaning, free internet.

The best thing about Carnival Platinum in the boarding/deboarding. Otherwise, canapes, chocolates...uh..."free food on a cruise? Wow, what an incentive!" LOL

The Princess ship wasn't as fun as Carnival's, but if they were to reciprocate status, I would sure shop them more.

What are the current VIP gifts? Are they still the blue coolers or pin/notebook? Is carnival still giving VIP guest the ships pin or VIP pins ? Seems like each ship is using up their supply of what ever they have.

Thanks

leedm:cool:

What are the current VIP gifts? Are they still the blue coolers or pin/notebook? Is carnival still giving VIP guest the ships pin or VIP pins ? Seems like each ship is using up their supply of what ever they have.

Thanks

leedm:cool:

I think that the last time we sailed (Valor - end of May) that we received the pen/notepad.

... all that I know is that we took those, along with umpteen collapsible coolers, thermoses, key chains, (etc.) to Goodwill just yesterday! :eek: I think the only thing we kept was a couple of nice tote bags (the original "gift")! The rest, IMO, is mostly cheap junk - meant to impress, but usually missing the mark!

Tom