cruising from fort Laudadale

RJHNorthyorks

WE're thinking about a cruise from Fort Laudadale flying into Miami. I really need advice please on how we can get from Miami to the Cruise Terminal - we want to avoid car hire.

We'd probably arrive the day before sailing. Is it better to stay overnight near cruise terminal??

Thanks

Depending upon traffic it takes about 40 or so minutes to get from the MIA airport to hotels in the FLL area or to Port Everglades.

From MIA to the FLL area a rental car is your cheapest option, but you don 't want that.

A taxi will run close to $100 :eek:, depending upon which hotel, SuperShuttle typically charges about $40 per passenger. Larry's limos has been suggested for MIA service - suspect he will be close to $85+. There is a Tri-rail train thing for commuters - I have no experience with it but suspect that it will be a cheap but very long ride from MIA to FLL and then a taxi to the port. :confused:

If your flight into MIA is arriving late you could stay at a Miami airport area hotel (check out the Blue Lagoon area near MIA ;)), shuttle back to MIA the next day and take the cruise transfers to the port - easy, but not cheap or fast.

If you arrive early enough, I would make my way to the FLL area and stay there -- hotels near FLL tend to be cheaper than those in Miami. Then taxi to Port Everglades for about $15.

Good luck! :)

I don't think you can fly direct to FL from the UK so you need to change somewhere in the US. The flight is likely to be more expensive also so make sure the savings you make on transfers are not offset by increased airfare. If you fly into MIA and stay near the port there are several hotels close by. The Hilton Marina, Renaissance, Holiday Inn Express are all near. You could try SAS for the transfers. There are lots of posts on cruise critic about this company.

Thanks. Looks like we need to try to fly into FLL.

If you can do non-stop into MIA for less than connecting flights into FLL I would stay with the MIA option and then either shuttle/limo to a FLL area hotel or stay in Miami and use the cruiseline transfer bus to get to the port. Connecting flights just add delay and a chance for something to go wrong - keep it as simple as you can.

Good luck! :)

I don't know what cruise you're taking, but you might want to consider booking a precruise hotel room through them, if you want to fly in the day before. We do that with Princess and it includes transfer from your airport to the hotel and transfer from the hotel to the pier. You should be able to purchase a transfer to your airport for your flight home, as well.

I don't think you can fly direct to FL from the UK so you need to change somewhere in the US. The flight is likely to be more expensive also so make sure the savings you make on transfers are not offset by increased airfare. If you fly into MIA and stay near the port there are several hotels close by. The Hilton Marina, Renaissance, Holiday Inn Express are all near. You could try SAS for the transfers. There are lots of posts on cruise critic about this company.
Unfortunately my advice to contact SAS is no longer valid. Just had an email back from Steve saying they can no longer pick up from the airport in Miami.

We'd probably arrive the day before sailing. Is it better to stay overnight near cruise terminal??

Thanks

You really should arrive the day before. Too many things can go wrong the day of.

If you can get a direct flight to FLL it would be easier, if you can only get direct flight to MIA that would be better than making a connection in the US. I'm sure with a bit more research the name of a reliable shuttle will come up.

Archived