petra

shushutu

We are considering the April cruise which includes Petra, Has anyone here visited Petra. We like to walk but I have heard it is very very difficult.

Does anyone know how long the walk is and if it is possible to walk down and hire a horse & buggy back?

Thanks

Shushu

We are considering the April cruise which includes Petra, Has anyone here visited Petra. We like to walk but I have heard it is very very difficult.

Does anyone know how long the walk is and if it is possible to walk down and hire a horse & buggy back?

Thanks

Shushu

Unfortunately, your question is too vague to answer intelligently. The site of Petra is quite large and very hilly. How long the walk is completely depends on what you want to see. Some of the site is accessible by horse and carriage, other parts are not.

The weather plays a part too. If it is cool, many more people walk the site, but if it is hot then the carriages are at a premium.

If you Google "Petra Tourist" you will see a lot of websites set up by guides who want to take you around. Even if you don't wish to engage a guide, reading the sites will give you a good idea of the terrain and getting around Petra.

We were in Petra with a different cruise line some years ago. The walk through the "canyon" into the Valley is not very long and definitely part of the scenery; a bit harder back as it is slightly uphill (but mostly shaded by the rocks).

You can explore the main site in the Valley without much trouble on foot. We are not what people would consider "in great shape' (in fact, quite the opposite) and had no trouble on foot.

In fact, I would steer clear from the horses (much like I would stay away from the camels by the Pyramids) - not worth the trouble; you may get more than you bargained for, if you know what I mean.

We were in Petra in November 2006. I'd had orthoscopic surgery on a knee the previous February and still used a cane on occasion although I did NOT do so on that day.

Yes, it wasn't easy but it wasn't that hard either. We walked all the way down, then from the restaurant where we had lunch (we were with a small group) we took the burros up to where the Treasury is, I think, and from there we took a carriage. We weren't planning on doing so but the guy was there and wanted customers, so he discounted the fee.

Walking back (UP) is more difficult than walking down but the footing is not easy in either direction. You just have to be careful on the cobblestones.

Still, you see so much while walking and you can always stop and pretend that you are stopping to take a photo, not because you are tired.

It's WELL worth the visit!

For what it is worth, we did a private tour to Wadi Rum the next day which was fabulous. If you have the time (on a cruise you usually don't most likely) consider doing this.

We were on a land trip with my husband's cousin who is a licensed Israeli tour guide -- she took us around Israel. But we booked a trip from Eilat to Petra and then to St. Catherine's Monastery. Well worth the time.

On a cruise ... it's harder.

Still, you see so much while walking and you can always stop and pretend that you are stopping to take a photo, not because you are tired....

Mura, I simply had to compliment you on this lovely sentence.:)

Thanks

Shushu

Just got back from our Middle East Cruise and having stopped in Petra, I can tell you the walk through the Siq is a bit downhill and not hard to do at all. Everything else is a walk downhill....you can spend an hour or a week there. We were lucky, the weather was just perfect and at that time there were not a lot of visitors!!! Coming back, it's all uphill. My husband and a friend have knee problems, so they took donkeys from waaaaay down after we had lunch, and then took the buggy ride from the Library back up to the top. It was tiring but a not to miss sight if you are in that area. And, if you have time you should go to Wadi Rum which is an unbelievable place to see. I know you will enjoy it immensely!! Arlene;)

Mura, I simply had to compliment you on this lovely sentence.:)

Thank you! Why do you think I'm the family photographer??!! (Snert)

Just got back from our Middle East Cruise and having stopped in Petra, I can tell you the walk through the Siq is a bit downhill and not hard to do at all. Everything else is a walk downhill....you can spend an hour or a week there. We were lucky, the weather was just perfect and at that time there were not a lot of visitors!!! Coming back, it's all uphill. My husband and a friend have knee problems, so they took donkeys from waaaaay down after we had lunch, and then took the buggy ride from the Library back up to the top. It was tiring but a not to miss sight if you are in that area. And, if you have time you should go to Wadi Rum which is an unbelievable place to see. I know you will enjoy it immensely!! Arlene;)

Arlene, I think we said the same thing ... Wadi Rum is great. Our guide was a retired major in the Jordanian Air Force and had interesting stories to tell ... plus he grilled chicken (and other courses) for our lunch, which was just wonderful.

Mura

Walk in and buggy out!! I use a cane and did just fine! The walk in is so amazing when you slowly come round that bend....and there is the Treasury!!!

Once in you can climb about or not.....I didnt and just walked the level path and saw enough to make me happy. I did not do the ride up the hill on the donkeys.....just too much for me.....and I still felt I saw what I needed to.

I was there!!!!

Archived