The Devil's Advocate thread

C'mon, lets be honest, cruising is a very expensive series of day trips isn't it? with a large meal and lots of booze at the end of the day. You only get the slightest touristy sight seeing of a country's famous bits, you dont get a real feel for a place at all, I'm right aren't I?;)

C'mon, lets be honest, cruising is a very expensive series of day trips isn't it? with a large meal and lots of booze at the end of the day. You only get the slightest touristy sight seeing of a country's famous bits, you dont get a real feel for a place at all, I'm right aren't I?;)

Hmmmmmmmmm.....I guess to an extent you're right Keith but call me shallow but it really is the best holiday style for us.

There are a number of possibilities when we get to a new destination;

- we love it and wish we could spend longer there (but then we ask the question - do we want to spend a whole week there on a 'stay' holiday?)

- we have a great day, see lots, get a 'feel' for a place (granted a very touristy feel - not getting under the surface and getting to know the area/people/customs/life in any depth) but have had a very enjoyable day

- we feel rather 'iffy' about the place - ok for one visit and not bothered about going back - glad we're not there for a week

- or we really don't like it and never want to go back in which case - thank goodness we've not come for a week!!

In some cases a day's visit has persuaded us to go back for a longer holiday (Lanzarote had so many great excursions we felt spoilt for choice and wanted to go back to see more). A week satisfied our curiousity - we had a great holiday but a second week visit left us a bit bored! St Petersburg was also somewhat frustrating - too much to see in one trip but it gave us an excuse to go back again! ;)

Of course all of this depends on what you are looking for in a holiday - we like to see places - being retired we don't feel the need to crash and take a leisurely break to recover physically and mentally from the world of work - although that's exactly what we wanted/needed in our working days and did for decades giving us the opportunity to get to know the area we visited.

Cruising is a taster of places and no more - but at least there is a wide variety of itineraries and types of destinations from the laid-back scenic Fjords and beach-based Caribbean to a largely city orientated Med cruise which is pretty hectic (ports like Calvi offer a very relaxing and welcome respite!) and therefore offer some contrast in the type of cruise passengers prefer.

Given the way you've phrased the question, you're prompting some debate (from some contributers that will be very amusing and witty I'm sure - I look forward to reading them! :D ) but I can see both sides - cruising would not be some people's idea of travelling to other countries and cultures - too short, too superficial, too rushed.

But it suits us - and I look forward to seeing new places, researching new ports, getting a flavour of the destination and being thoroughly spoiled on board (unpack once, good food, service, great atmosphere, company, superb entertainment and all the travelling done whilst I'm in bed). It's fine by me! ;)

Those day trips would be a LOT more expensive if you had to commute back and forward to the med daily!

so your last stetement is wrong

simple:)

ps - nothing wrong with a large meal, lots of booze, and dare i add gambling, at the end of the day. After all you are on holiday and i get the distinct impression that the idea is to enjoy oneself ;)

Hmmmmmmmmm.....I guess to an extent you're right Keith but call me shallow but it really is the best holiday style for us.

There are a number of possibilities when we get to a new destination;

- we love it and wish we could spend longer there (but then we ask the question - do we want to spend a whole week there on a 'stay' holiday?)

- we have a great day, see lots, get a 'feel' for a place (granted a very touristy feel - not getting under the surface and getting to know the area/people/customs/life in any depth) but have had a very enjoyable day

- we feel rather 'iffy' about the place - ok for one visit and not bothered about going back - glad we're not there for a week

- or we really don't like it and never want to go back in which case - thank goodness we've not come for a week!!

In some cases a day's visit has persuaded us to go back for a longer holiday (Lanzarote had so many great excursions we felt spoilt for choice and wanted to go back to see more). A week satisfied our curiousity - we had a great holiday but a second week visit left us a bit bored! St Petersburg was also somewhat frustrating - too much to see in one trip but it gave us an excuse to go back again! ;)

Of course all of this depends on what you are looking for in a holiday - we like to see places - being retired we don't feel the need to crash and take a leisurely break to recover physically and mentally from the world of work - although that's exactly what we wanted/needed in our working days and did for decades giving us the opportunity to get to know the area we visited.

Cruising is a taster of places and no more - but at least there is a wide variety of itineraries and types of destinations from the laid-back scenic Fjords and beach-based Caribbean to a largely city orientated Med cruise which is pretty hectic (ports like Calvi offer a very relaxing and welcome respite!) and therefore offer some contrast in the type of cruise passengers prefer.

Given the way you've phrased the question, you're prompting some debate (from some contributers that will be very amusing and witty I'm sure - I look forward to reading them! :D ) but I can see both sides - cruising would not be some people's idea of travelling to other countries and cultures - too short, too superficial, too rushed.

But it suits us - and I look forward to seeing new places, researching new ports, getting a flavour of the destination and being thoroughly spoiled on board (unpack once, good food, service, great atmosphere, company, superb entertainment and all the travelling done whilst I'm in bed). It's fine by me! ;)

What a brilliant and measured response ! I should, as a Devil's Advocate , come up with a counter argument, but you've made it awfully difficult :)

I'll think of something

Those day trips would be a LOT more expensive if you had to commute back and forward to the med daily!

so your last stetement is wrong

simple:)

ps - nothing wrong with a large meal, lots of booze, and dare i add gambling, at the end of the day. After all you are on holiday and i get the distinct impression that the idea is to enjoy oneself ;)

But they are just day trips, what else can you see except where they dock? You need a good meal and a drink to take your mind off the whole anti-climax of the thing...you know, that feeling ..."er...was that it? 2 hours in a coach and a glass of lemonade?"

What a brilliant and measured response ! I should, as a Devil's Advocate , come up with a counter argument, but you've made it awfully difficult :)

I'll think of something

I don't doubt it! :D But thanks for your kind words - much appreciated! :)

I know that some passengers never leave the ship after talking to them over the years. They just like the fact its very safe walking from the pub to the Restaurants then on to the theatres without feeling uncomfortable of unruly youths and trouble makers. Plus not far to stagger home :D

We've been to some fabulous places and seen some amazing sights - In one week alone we could have seen, Sorrento and Pompei or Herculaneum, The Coliseum, Trevi fountain, St Peters, Spanish Steps in Rome, The Gothic Quarter in Barcelona, The Ramblas, Parc Guell, The Cathedral, Napoleon's birthplace in Corsica, beautiful views in Sicily ++++ No, we didn't get round to them all, but the opportunity was there. We were looked after so well on board with great entertainment and were able to round the evening off with a stroll around the deck, a night cap and get back to the cabin to find that chocolate on the pillow and the cruise news, telling us what we could look forward to on the next day. And all with no hassle! Bliss. :):):)

Have you actually ever been cruising? Don't knock it until you've tried it.

Must admit I don't really fancy the really big ships. My TA tried to persuade me onto one with the words 'It's so big you wouldn't know you were on a ship.' No answer to that one.

Rosie:)

We've been to some fabulous places and seen some amazing sights - In one week alone we could have seen, Sorrento and Pompei or Herculaneum, The Coliseum, Trevi fountain, St Peters, Spanish Steps in Rome, The Gothic Quarter in Barcelona, The Ramblas, Parc Guell, The Cathedral, Napoleon's birthplace in Corsica, beautiful views in Sicily ++++ No, we didn't get round to them all, but the opportunity was there. We were looked after so well on board with great entertainment and were able to round the evening off with a stroll around the deck, a night cap and get back to the cabin to find that chocolate on the pillow and the cruise news, telling us what we could look forward to on the next day. And all with no hassle! Bliss. :):):)

Must admit I don't really fancy the really big ships. My TA tried to persuade me onto one with the words 'It's so big you wouldn't know you were on a ship.' No answer to that one.

Well we did try one of the 'big' ones Rosie and we enjoyed the cruise (destinations) and made the most of the experience - but it wasn't my cup of tea at all. I can best describe it as 'souless' and as we value the friendliness, atmosphere and warmth of Thomson ships we came to the conclusion that this aspect was more important to us than glitz and glamour. All show and no substance comes to mind.

OK there may well be other ships I'd like better and have an open mind about trying other cruise lines at some point in the future - but whilst we come home with such positive vibes from Thomson's ships - and a keen desire to go back a.s.a.p. then we're happy to stick with what we enjoy. ;)

I get bored on holiday so a cruise is ideal for me, 3 countries in a week, a chance to say hello in three different languages. we talk about our cruises for months afterwards. Wouldnt probably ever have gone to italy for a holiday but love it, the history, the buildings, the people. just done cruise number 4 and about to book cruise number 5. dont know many people that have cruised and have said never again. so the proof is in the pudding really.

I know that some passengers never leave the ship after talking to them over the years. They just like the fact its very safe walking from the pub to the Restaurants then on to the theatres without feeling uncomfortable of unruly youths and trouble makers. Plus not far to stagger home :D

I know two who fit that description :D

Ahh but you fail to see the real Italy as your herded around, as for people who like to drink without being accosted by youths , does that really happen? is 24 hour drinking by pensioners to be condoned?....and, yes, I've tried it...you have seen the title of the thread I trust?

I get bored on holiday so a cruise is ideal for me, 3 countries in a week, a chance to say hello in three different languages. we talk about our cruises for months afterwards. Wouldnt probably ever have gone to italy for a holiday but love it, the history, the buildings, the people. just done cruise number 4 and about to book cruise number 5. dont know many people that have cruised and have said never again. so the proof is in the pudding really.

What?! you dont get bored watching endless hours of the sea go rolling by? wow :)

Never thought I would be replying to this forum again.

The only thing the wife liked was the fantastic staff. she was in bed by 10 every night. We had an outside + cabin on the Dream last year in June,& did a few excursions she was glad to get off the ship.We have debated many times over comments in this forum and concluded you either love it or hate it. So for us it was not our thing.

Yes, we holiday 3 times a year, yes we go to the same place every year which for us is fine, so each to there own.

Steve

Never thought I would be replying to this forum again.

The only thing the wife liked was the fantastic staff. she was in bed by 10 every night. We had an outside + cabin on the Dream last year in June,& did a few excursions she was glad to get off the ship.We have debated many times over comments in this forum and concluded you either love it or hate it. So for us it was not our thing.

Yes, we holiday 3 times a year, yes we go to the same place every year which for us is fine, so each to there own.

Steve

Not San Stefanos by any chance?

We are young(ish) forty something year old cruisers that are still working.Its great relaxation away from the norm whilst indulging our passion for visiting historic sites! The food (including puddings) and the atmosphere all add up to a holiday experience to be remembered and treasured. We consider ourselves fortunate to be able see places our Grandparents could never have dreamed of seeing.:)

Oggie.

We are young(ish) forty something year old cruisers that are still working.Its great relaxation away from the norm whilst indulging our passion for visiting historic sites! The food (including puddings) and the atmosphere all add up to a holiday experience to be remembered and treasured. We consider ourselves fortunate to be able see places our Grandparents could never have dreamed of seeing.:)

Oggie.

How I agree with you Oggie - we've been to places we could never have imagined we would visit (and didn't even know where they were! :eek: ) and feel truly grateful that we are able to do it. I appreciate that for ordinary folks like me the world of opportunity is far different than that of my parents and grandparents - and I never take it for granted. :)

What?! you dont get bored watching endless hours of the sea go rolling by? wow :)

------------------------------------------------------------------

Keith I love this thread :)

cat among pigeons etc

let battle commence, keep up the good work

Jim are you inputting on this or down at Asda again ? :D

(Mind you will be on the Dream for a third time next yea r:eek:)

better than watching soaps on tv ;)

Stevie

I know two who fit that description :D

I wonder who he is on about :D

Nothing wrong on going on repeat cruises..80% destinations and 20% people make for one good mix.

Hang on I will redo my sums:

80% AI Drinks package 15% Destinations 5% peoples :D

Love Cruising , hate big ships with too many people and too many tiny ones(tikes).but we like brand new ships , Thomson use old tubs however , somehow there is a very good feel ? :)

Hate days at sea and miss a big warm swimming pool have to wait for next port of call with a beach :mad:

Hotels (ashore) anywhere, entertainment usually rubbish, Thomson cruise brill shows and too much to do.;)

this year was on Dream , next hol Turkey AI on beach, and after that if still any money next year.... another cruise ?

All a matter of balance (the bank one :D )

Stevie

last time I was watching the sea rolling by there were dolphins following the ship, and yes I am fascinated by the sea I find it very relaxing. Whats wrong with that? I also holiday 3 times a year but I do get bored with the same routine of hotel, evening meal at 7 over to the same bar etc unless its benidorm where it changes all the time and we love the vibrance of the resort. so this year on holiday we've been to riviera maya in mexico, the dream in the med and going to spain to sister in laws house for a week but brother in law also gets bored easily so you never know how the nights going to turn out with him. We love cruising its so different we both work really hard all year and we dont go to bed at 10 either the ship takes on a different life after 11pm ask jim the scot he knows. anyway if you dont like cruising what are you doing on here? unless its a wind up (oh shock horror!!)

We loved visiting different places every day, places we would never have thought of visiting. We were on a Greek island cruise last year and fell in love with Santorini. We booked a week in Oia a few months later and had a fabulous holiday. If we hadn't went on the cruise we might never have chanced upon it. We also love the night life onboard. You book a holiday nowadays and have to put up with wall to wall drunk teenagers so the company onboard the ship is a welcome relief.

Archived