The Devil's Advocate thread

Depending on where you go it's not that expensive. For instance when we went to Iceland the whole cruise was cheaper than a weeks stay in Reykjavic without meals!

Also there are a lot of places in the world which we would like to visit. By incorporating them into a cruise we are starting to tick them off. Hopefully we will have enough time (and money), to do them all!

and get back to the cabin to find that chocolate on the pillow and the cruise news, telling us what we could look forward to on the next day. And all with no hassle! Bliss.

Rosie:)

What chocolate on the pillow?:confused: We've been diddled again.:eek::eek: Along with not being able to get into any of the shows as they were always full, no seats in the bars, too many passengers and condemned to prowling the ship all evening looking for a resting place.;) Apart from that the days off ship are great. For example on visiting Corsica we quickly came to the conclusion that for a day it was great but maybe not enough to interest us for a whole week. Unlike Rome, Florence, Istanbul and even Santorini which have plenty to interest us. Saves us a lot of money and holiday time making mistakes on our choices. Last year we would never have visited Gallipolli without a cruise and we would really like to return one day on our own and hire a car to get around the peninsular in our own time.:)

Jan

What?! you dont get bored watching endless hours of the sea go rolling by? wow :)

------------------------------------------------------------------

Keith I love this thread :)

cat among pigeons etc

let battle commence, keep up the good work

Jim are you inputting on this or down at Asda again ? :D

(Mind you will be on the Dream for a third time next yea r:eek:)

better than watching soaps on tv ;)

Stevie

Good! I'm glad you get it. The whole point of this "game" is to concentrate minds as to why we / they like to do what they do...we;ve all heard these arguments

What?! you dont get bored watching endless hours of the sea go rolling by? wow :)

Definately not! After months of work,traffic,noise,hassle and rat race..its great to stand at the rails of the ship..warm sun caressing your face..gentle sea breeze in your hair...mojito in hand...looking across miles of open sea to the distant mountainous shore! ;)

Oggie.

The reason I love cruising is contained in this link

http://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/collections/72157626118276227/

It contains photo's of all the ships I have cruised on, the countries and places I have been able to visit, in the short space of time since I retired in 2008.

They also bring back many happy memories. The visits may be only short, but it gives me the flavour of the place, so if I like, I can come back and enjoy more time later. We never stay on board, always get off and explore the places we visit, either on our own or as part of a ships excursion.

I also love the sea days relaxing on board, knowing that tomorrow I will be in a different country, different town. For those who don't want to relax on sea days, there is always plenty going on to occupy your time. I live by the sea and for me the sea has a special attraction, having owned one or two small boats of my own.

I love the people I have met on board, who I have become friendly with, and who I have spent time with in their homes since.

I love the dressing up in the evenings and enjoying good food in the company of others, I love the entertainment and being pampered by the staff whilst on board, who I have always found to be excellent.

Cruising offers me a little bit of everything, at in my view a value for money price.

The finest way to spend a holiday in my view. My only regret, wish I had started cruising much earlier in life.:);)

Definately not! After months of work,traffic,noise,hassle and rat race..its great to stand at the rails of the ship..warm sun caressing your face..gentle sea breeze in your hair...mojito in hand...looking across miles of open sea to the distant mountainous shore! ;)

Oggie.

is that what they call it these days? "mojito"

The reason I love cruising is contained in this link

http://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/collections/72157626118276227/

It contains photo's of all the ships I have cruised on, the countries and places I have been able to visit, in the short space of time since I retired in 2008.

They also bring back many happy memories. The visits may be only short, but it gives me the flavour of the place, so if I like, I can come back and enjoy more time later. We never stay on board, always get off and explore the places we visit, either on our own or as part of a ships excursion.

I also love the sea days relaxing on board, knowing that tomorrow I will be in a different country, different town. For those who don't want to relax on sea days, there is always plenty going on to occupy your time. I live by the sea and for me the sea has a special attraction, having owned one or two small boats of my own.

I love the people I have met on board, who I have become friendly with, and who I have spent time with in their homes since.

I love the dressing up in the evenings and enjoying good food in the company of others, I love the entertainment and being pampered by the staff whilst on board, who I have always found to be excellent.

Cruising offers me a little bit of everything, at in my view a value for money price.

The finest way to spend a holiday in my view. My only regret, wish I had started cruising much earlier in life.:);)

sums it all up as far as i'm concerned

20 years ago I would have hated it - too laid back, too quiet, the shows would not have appealed, the game shows would have made me run a mile - now its bliss, we see every show and we try all the gameshows/quizzes and have so far managed to win one every cruise - its now our holiday challenge to ourselves LOL - no driving, no cooking, sprog entertained 2 or 3 times a day if he so wishes, my own personal cocktail waiter (sadly they dont fit in the suitcase to bring home), ultimate relaxation one day, busy city sight seeing the next, ancient history the next and wonderful geography the day after that. In Naples we got stunning geography and breathtaking history in the same day as well as a pretty thorough work out hiking up vesuvius and then seeing pompeii. I LOVE cruising as it suits us for where we are at in our lives right now - work and school forgotten for the duration of our time on board. Maybe when son #2 is old enough to stay home me and the hubs might do something else - revisit some of those places we have 'earmarked' from those tasters we had while cruising - but for now - we are sailing :D

Good! I'm glad you get it. The whole point of this "game" is to concentrate minds as to why we / they like to do what they do...we;ve all heard these arguments

Love this Thread Keith after being on on the Dream last January Kruzeeka and Jim were on the same Cruise and we were spoiled and amazed at some of the treasures of the world at what it has to offer. We loved it and was our second one too. We went on our holidays in Ibiza in June we sat on our Hotel Balcony and talked about our holiday and said " It's just not a Cruise is it" We have been here many times, But love having taken to Cruising now and we feel the next 2 will be Cruising too. Nice to read all the different opinions too.;)

OK, I'll bite :)

We went our first cruise 2 years ago (Ocean Village, Western Med).

It was completely different to our usual holidays where we book a local villa hire acar and arrange flights and basically do it all ourselves. (Best holiday ever was a road trip from Seattle to Los Angeles, fully self booked apart from 2 nights in National Parks which need 6 months notice!). So why a cruise? My friends couldn't understand it.

The reason was that there were a lot of places I wanted to see but didn't want to spend a week - Pompeii, Carthage, Pisa, Monte Carlo. And I could see all of them

via a cruise in one week.

What was the outcome? We loved the tour, we were less keen on cruising per se. I found the boat claustrophobic, hated the need to be back on board by a fixed time, found the food and entertainment only average and most of all I missed the interaction with the locals and the sense of exploration and finding that special place with no other Brits present. But it was relaxing, and varied, so now, after two years, I'm trying again, in the Eastern Med. Will I become an habitual cruiser? Probably not. But cruising definitely has a place. I'll maybe try a Nile cruise next time... after the politics in Egypt settle down! And I'd love to do an Alaskan cruise too. So once in a while, when I need a relaxing break and want to see new places without becoming immersed in the local culture.

PS. The other downside of cruising for me is that it is essentially coastal, and I love mountains... The Atlas mountains cruise? Or the Himalaya? tricky...

Archived