Chankanaab Snorkling

PDsandman01

How is the snorkling in Chankanaab? Is it worth the money? Should I pay for an excursion on the ship or go to the park for the best snorkling? What would be the better value? Also, are there canoes or kayaks for rent at Chankanaab? :cool:

Hey PD, We were at Chankanaab in January and must say that it is one of our favorite spots. The area is very rocky with the entry into the water a little cumbersome, but once in the water it is a sight to behold. Thousands of fish, all shapes ,sizes and colors. I even have a picture of a 5 ft. barracuda. Miss Ginger got a shot of an octopus. The Beach is nice with lots of lounge chairs and the park and dolphin swim are awesome. This can be had for a $10 or $12 Taxi ride and a $12 Admission fee.

There are other places too. We plan on trying Nachi Cocum or Dzul-Ha next trip, but that is because we are still in search of the perfect spot.:D

Try it. I think that you will like it.

Clackey

Clackey - it's our favorite spot too...read that a recent visitor to Chanakaab said they were disappointed...filthy restrooms, etc. We were there two years ago on the Triumph and found it to be extremely clean. We'll be there in two weeks on the Glory. Did you experience this problem in January?

Should I pay for an excursion on the ship or go to the park for the best snorkling?
Dzul Ha might have better snorkeling for lower cost, but Chankanaab park is over all a nicer destination with more to do/see above water than at Dzul Ha. Do not go there on a ship's excursion. In fact, skip all the ship's excursions on Cozumel. You can do just about all the excursions (or very similar) the ship offers for less on your own

Clackey - it's our favorite spot too...read that a recent visitor to Chanakaab said they were disappointed...filthy restrooms, etc. We were there two years ago on the Triumph and found it to be extremely clean. We'll be there in two weeks on the Glory. Did you experience this problem in January?

Hi mn,

No problems here. CP was clean, not too crowded and gorgeous. You couldn't ask for a better day of snorkeling and loafing on the sand. I chased barracuda and iguanas, geckos and had a visit from a cat. We named him Senor Gato and he acted as if he had known us forever. Crawled right onto my lap as if to say, "You may pet me now". I would go back again if I wasn't the type of person who has to try something new.

Have a great trip and eat a shrimp for me.:D

Clackey

Thanks Clackey for posting right back. We loved Chanakaab and are planning on staying there for most of the day on our cruise in less than 2 weeks! I hate to see the stray cats on the islands...makes me sad but at least I know they aren't out in the cold and that hopefully, tourists take pity and give them some scraps!

Mary

Hola Mary,

You don't have to worry about these cats,( we saw three that looked like triplets.) They were fat and slick. You could tell by their condition and their attitudes, that they were well taken care of. I just hope that iguanas are vegatarians. I saw one that was big enough to eat a cat.:D

Clackey

Chankanaab is a very nice beach/park but I found the snorkelling to be so-so. You will see lots of fish but the reef there is mostly dead. If you want really good snorkelling, you have to do an off-shore excursion. I haven't been to Dzul-Ha so I can't comment on the snorkelling there.

Archived