Where to Stay and What to Do?

mnh

WE plan to do a post cruise tour in Engand following our cruise next May ... plan to spend a week in southern England and want to rent a car to drive to places like Stonehedge, Canterbury, Duxford, Aldershot etc then when we get to London return the car and do London on public transit ...

Any and all advice would be appreciated.

Ann

WE plan to do a post cruise tour in Engand following our cruise next May ... plan to spend a week in southern England and want to rent a car to drive to places like Stonehedge, Canterbury, Duxford, Aldershot etc then when we get to London return the car and do London on public transit ...

Any and all advice would be appreciated.

Ann

Hi Ann

Stonehenge, not Stonehedge - common mistake. Build in with it Salisbury (and Old Sarum?), 15 mins away. And if Stonehenge is your scene, consider Avebury Ring, Silbury Hill & the Long Barrows, all close together & about 40 mins north of Stonehenge.

Duxford. Out on a limb. I'm guessing that's for the aircraft. All very early stuff, quite interesting, but a fair distance for a visit of mebbe a couple of hours tops. They fly quite regularly, try to fix your visit for a flying day if it can be tied-in. Close to the university city of Cambridge. Or combine it with Bletchley Park, about 50 miles west, or RAF Hendon on the northern outskirts of London, about 45 mile south.

Also consider Brooklands (was an early airfield, with banked motor racing circuit, now a fairly ramshackle museum of flying & motor-racing), on the SE outskirts of London.

Aldershot??? :confused:

Army town. Not much for the tourist there, or at adjacent Farnborough altho' it was the birthplace of British aviation. Any specific reason for mentioning Aldershot?

Where does your ship port?

Might be worth starting a new thread.

JB :)

• 2 months later...
I will be in London for 2 nights prior to a cruise. I have never been to London (or Europe) and of course want to see the usual....Changing of The Guards, Big Ben, Tower of London, Trifalgar Square, Westminister Abbey, Harrods etc.

Thoughts on what else I should not miss and the best section of town to stay in that would be central....we will really only have 1.5 days to sight see.

Looking for a moderate priced hotel as well as information on tour companies.

I am 61 and will be bringing my 13 year old granddaughter....I am fairly active but really do not want to walk miles and miles at at time!

Thanks

Hopefully this info isn't too late for you. I just spent a lovely day in London pre-cruise, touring with a wonderful guide, Harry Norman (HarrysTour@aol.com). He was friendly, reasonable, informative and very accommodating! If you write to him, tell him Claire says hi!

Archived