What to do in Progreso?

Taking a 5day out of the NOLA Carnival Ecstasy on 10/17/2011, with stops in Progresso and Cozumel. I have Cozumel covered, but need some help with Progreso. Would like to see some Ruins along with beach, beer, food, and something for a 10 and 15 year old boys to do and the Mrs. will lay out. I have looked at the Carnival Excursions and they have mixed reviews mostly not good.

When I was in Progreso 2 years ago, we did the Ruins and Beach Break combo through Carnival. We went to the Dzibilchaltun ruins site (about 30 min away), then got to spend about an hour at the beach, too (drinks were included).:)

I would go with AutoProgreso!

They are the vendors that handle the busing between the ship and the port area. They have pamplets on their tours. They offer great pricing on the Maya ruins in the area.

I would get off the ship early and let them know when getting at the stop you want to take a tour. They are aware of ship times and get you back with plenty time to spare.

I admit that I haven't been on any of the ruins tours that are offered at (not so) Progreso. However, I can say that if you are planning on going into the city for a jaunt, you'd be better off just staying on the ship. This is by far my least favorite port and if I ever take a cruise again that stops in (not so) Progreso, I'll be staying on the ship.

I abhor being negative about any aspect of cruising and don't typically complain, but (not so) Progreso is definitely crossed off my list.

take the bus tour around the town, then spend a day on the beach at Buddys! Great food, drinks and right on the beach!!

How do we find out more info about the tour? I mean is it through the bus co that pic you up and takes you to town or are you speaking of Carnivals excursion?

I have done several cool tours from Progreso.

Chichen Itza is a long drive, but it is Chichen Itza and a world heritage site and all that.

Dzibilchaltun is pretty close and is a neat site.

It would be a good place to go with kids 9 or 10 and up.

They can climb the ruins there.

The Temple of the Seven Dolls is impressive, but not scary high.

UxMal is my favorite so far.

It is set in green hills and the ruins are impressive and extensive.

The Pyramid of the Magician at UxMal has a fun and mysterous name and is really big.

I also have done the Progreso city tour and visited the cathedral.

It is a good tour when you want to do something and see some sites, but it's a tour you can enjoy while being lazy. Look out the bus windows, check out the cathedral and the government building and then get some drinks and nachos. Check out the park across from the cathedral and then back on the bus for a fairly short trip back to the ship.

The last trip we did the $3 bus tour.

It was fun and easy.

We did Dzibilchaulton through Autoprogreso. Find their stand on the pier and pay them there. Don't waste your money paying twice the price for the EXACT same tour through Carnival.

The tour moves along at a good pace and you can spend a fair amount of time climbing the temple of the 7 dolls.

Afterward, you will have an hour or so to swim in the Cenote -- a very unique experience plus it is a great way to cool off.

right when you get to town , there is a double decker bus tour, you cant miss it. Its like 2 or 3 dollars and a lot of fun. Then we went down to the beach and sat at Buddys. This stop and Costa Maya were really our favorites! Beach days were so much fun. I found out about the tour and Buddys from the Caribbean ports of call.

Here is a thread about Buddys http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1360795

Here are the Progreso threads http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=154

I found out about both the tour and Buddys there. Have a wonderful time!!

Uxmal are probably the best ruins to go to. Chichen Itza is bigger, but they don't let you climb on anything. At Uxmal, you can still climb on most of the structures, which really adds alot to the experience. That's been my favorite Mayan ruins excursion. You can see pics of it in my Triumph review (the link is in my signature). We did it through Autoprogreso, and had plenty of time to get to the bus before it left. The bus was only half filled (plenty of room to spread out, especially for napping on the way back), as opposed to Carnival excursions, which typically pack people in like sardines. It was cheaper than doing it through Carnival. But, there wasn't much time after the excursion. The Ecstasy people were leaving an hour before the Triumph, so they had very little time. We took the optional dropoff in town, did some shopping, walked to the beach, then took the shuttle back to the ship. Not enough time to really lay out and relax on the beach, but enough time to check it out. Cozumel (our 2nd stop) was our beach stop on that cruise.

Thanks to all you cool cruisers with help on Progreso. Still undecided but will come up with something. Maybe Buddy's---Maybe Reef Club Beach resort:cool:

I am also undecided on Progreso. I thought after checking out this thread it might help. Leaning towards Buddy's. Is there a website for Buddy's?

I will be cruising w/ you Daddy. We dont know what we are going to do either. I think we plan to wing it. Check out the town maybe stop for a drink on the beach if nothing catches our eye we will head back to the ship. We also are traveling w/ teenage boys.

I tried searching here for info on the Salsa and Salsa excursion that CCL offers. Nothing came up which leads me to figure that it's new to Progreso? Sorry if I missed it.. Anyways, all the reviews are pretty awesome when I search on Google, but I was wondering if there is anything else comparable that we can book through another site or wait to get to Progreso to book with the locals? It's $90 through CCL and I could do without the majority of the "tour" part. It's the salsa making, drinks and salsa dancing lessons part that I like and think my family would like too. They also have a designated time for us to go shopping, but we can do that part on our own.

We wont be there till January 30th next year so I have lots of time to figure it out. Merci! :D

There is one part of the site that is a bit of a hike, almost a mile to the Temple of the Dolls building. But you can just not go there and stay in the main area. I suggest getting a guide there, an older man whose name is Jose Ancona. Speaks English well and knows a ton about the site.

Bring a swimsuit and towel for a dip in the cenote which is actually a chaltun, which means an opening or dip in the rock with water.

Happy planning!

:D

Archived