Question: Cruising Hubbard Glacier (Alaska) - Radiance

I think that is what I am going to do too :)

Where exactly is the helipad :confused:

It's on deck 6, but you have to go to deck 5, go out on the Promenade, then head for the bow. You will have to go up some stairs to get to the helipad area, then more steps to get up to the helipad itself.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/ships/ship/decks/deck/home.do?shipCode=RD&shipProfile=1368&sailDate=1110812

It's marked with a big H (both on the deck plan and in real life!)

My Serenade of the Seas album on my Shutterfly share site is my Alaska cruise in 2009. We ended up going down Endicott Arm to Dawes Glacier due to ice conditions in the fjord they usually go down. Glacier-day pictures start at 165. I started out up at the helipad, then after a while moved down to our aft balcony (we had GS1600). We were really lucky, our captain must've done at least six full-360 turns!

We had a hump cabin on deck 9 of the Radiance but had several friends who were in aft cabins and I heard no complaints from any of them when we visited Hubbard Glacier. I think that, unless you intend to spend the entire time on your aft balcony, you should not have any serious problems because of the location of your stateroom.:)

Bill

as the ship pulls in it will turn 360 degrees giving you 1 view, and then do a 180 degrees and pulls out giving the best view. everybody will be at back of ship(you can hear them above you), this is the time we went to breakfast in windjammer

We were on the radiance in June 09, and got up early (dressed very warmly) and went out on the helipad. We got up there at 5:30am as we entered the passage and was lucky to get the "Titanic" position at the point of the bow. Within 30 min all rail space was taken. As mentioned above, each approach and stay varies due to conditions, but we approached nice and slow and as we were at the point of the bow we had a close to 180 degree view of the glacier no matter if ship was turned starboard or port to the glacier. At around 8am after running through 2 60 min video tapes and snapping almost 600 pictures (I like to take a lot), we made our way to our balcony on the port side just as the ship made another pivot. We spent about another 20 min there when the ship started moving parallel to glacier towards the right side when facing the glacier. We had a great view all the way along. 20 min later the ship turned again and started heading back out the channel. Those that awoke late missed the whole thing unless they went aft and looked out to the distance. Our itinerary indicated 6am-10am for glacier; however we were out of the channel by 9:30am.

If you do get up early dress very warmly. Though I had gloves, my hands were still numb on our morning. Also I thought it was funny that at around 7am, we noticed the crew setting up a table on the helipad, and soon enough setting up hot chocolate canteens. My wife went over only to get some only to find out that it was hot chocolate spiked with alcohol and of course it wasn't free.

Hi All' date='

This question really doesn't need its own thread, but I have tried asking in a few different Alaska threads and I am just not getting any answers :o

I am just trying to plan my time for the stop at the glacier. Originally my plan was to order room service and stay in my Aft (1104) to view Hubbard and get some great pics. Many reviews later I see the need to change plans.

I want to go eat breakfast and then find a spot on the helipad ... [b']what time should I go outside?[/b] The Cruise Compass that I looked at said they leave the area around 11:30. If I go out about 10am would that be good or should I go earlier?

I hate obsessing over it ... it is just really important to me. This is a dream trip and I want to make the most of it. :)

Don't sweat it! The captain typically comes in straight and does a full turn so everyone has a great view.

We usually start on the helipad then go down to our balcony then to the rear of the ship.

2006: http://thehollo.com/alaska/index5.htm

2008: http://www.chaseclub.com/cruise/Alaska2008/index12.htm

we had an aft cabin in 2006

DSCF2101.jpg

Archived