Question: Cruising Hubbard Glacier (Alaska) - Radiance

Hi All,

This question really doesn't need its own thread, but I have tried asking in a few different Alaska threads and I am just not getting any answers :o

I am just trying to plan my time for the stop at the glacier. Originally my plan was to order room service and stay in my Aft (1104) to view Hubbard and get some great pics. Many reviews later I see the need to change plans.

I want to go eat breakfast and then find a spot on the helipad ... what time should I go outside? The Cruise Compass that I looked at said they leave the area around 11:30. If I go out about 10am would that be good or should I go earlier?

I hate obsessing over it ... it is just really important to me. This is a dream trip and I want to make the most of it. :)

We were there last Aug, we went up around 10am, lots of people there, but everyone was moving around, and the glacier is so huge, there was no bad problem seeing it, it was probably the most awesome sight I have ever seen.

The Captain will turn the ship so that both sides get optimum viewing time. Also, any other ships in the area could cause a delay or a rush in the timing of this "stop". Just saying.

Layer up and go outside when you are ready.

There will be plenty of time and opportunity to see Hubbard. If you are like us and the other passengers we sailed with, all of you will be moving around anyway. Anywhere outside will be fabulous, doesn't have to be the helipad. Just don't do what we saw other pax do and stay inside in the Windjammer. All the windows fogged up and no one saw much of anything. Outside on any deck is where you want to be.

We get out there early to grab a "good" railing spot on the helipad. However it won't last all that long so don't get too caught up in that. The ship will be turned so both sides of the ship can see the glacier. If they turn it towards your room, do use that vantage point if it has a balcony. As it begins to turn away... you may want to go up on the main deck (deck 5?) and just ignore the crush up on the helipad.

It will be cool, so bundle up. You should get VERY close that time of the year. Listen to all the noises. The ice sizzles, cracks, rifle shots and thunders. It is just beyond belief. The quieter the area you are, the more you will be able to hear all of these things. The people droning along on the intercom will really drive you crazy in this.

Look for Sea Otters on the way to the glacier in the first part of the bay, then watch for seals on the ice as you get near as well as Black legged Kittywakes and perhaps Red legged Kittywakes. (A type of sea gull) If you should get the odd chance at a clear day, take a good set of binocs and scan the high meadows for black bears.

Such a wonderful site to behold. I have been lucky to go several times over the years.

I agree that this is the most amazing experience!! We actually saw a chunk come up from under the water rocking the ship and causing our room steward to run out and start taking video with his phone as it was something he had never seen. We had an advantage of the fact I booked us on one side and my parents on the other so when the ship turned we just changed balconies. I would enjoy your breakfast in your cabin on the balcony early on. If you feel your not getting a good view eat and move on. If your lovin it then wait until the ship begins to turn then head up so your on the same side as the second pass just to get another perspective. You will get so much more out of it in a quiet place and your balcony might just be the place.

BonVoyage

Dawna

You will get so much more out of it in a quiet place and your balcony might just be the place.

BonVoyage

Dawna

The problem with that is I have an Aft cabin ... everyone loves those cabins and you are supposed to get a great panoramic view :) I was very excited about viewing the glacier from my balcony

BUT

If the captain goes into the area nose first and I am in the very back - how will I be able to see?

I have been advised to go out on deck and then maybe go back to my balcony once the ship turns...

I don't know. I have never had an Aft Balcony ... I am so confused and really don't know what to expect. :confused:

We got off the Radiance two weeks ago. Yes, the captain went in nose first, sat there for quite some time, and then started turning around to exit. We had a starboard cabin (which offered the better views on the way in as we were toward the left side looking at the glacier, at least on our cruise) but spent most of the time up on the helipad getting shots and watching from there. You'll have a nice view from your balcony when they start to turn around and head back out of the cove.

The problem with that is I have an Aft cabin ... everyone loves those cabins and you are supposed to get a great panoramic view :) I was very excited about viewing the glacier from my balcony

BUT

If the captain goes into the area nose first and I am in the very back - how will I be able to see?

I have been advised to go out on deck and then maybe go back to my balcony once the ship turns...

I don't know. I have never had an Aft Balcony ... I am so confused and really don't know what to expect. :confused:

I've been to Hubbard Glacier several times, in a cabin on the side. I can't remember the ship ever turning the aft toward the glacier until it left the area.

I've been to Glacier Bay in an aft cabin. Never, again, will I go to Alaska in an aft cabin.

The ship will be rotated 360 degrees so anybody with an OV bal. will get to see. If you want to view the full time then you will have to move aroud as the ship moves.

Some areas of the ship will have a longer time to view.

This is what we did in June.

We had a hump cabin so were on the side of the ship. We were up at the helipad early to see the approach to the glacier. It was very cold and windy!!! We went to breakfast after about an hour and then headed to our cabin as the ship was starting to turn. The view from our cabin was fabulous.

Not sure what kind of view you will get from the aft, but the approach to the glacier was great from the helipad.

We went on the Serenade two years ago and had an aft balcony. We went to a different glacier but once we got there, the Captain did 360's about three times. Don't know if they are not doing this anymore, but we didn't leave our aft balcony and didn't feel like we miss a thing!

One thing nice about an aft balcony especially in Alaska is that when the ship is moving, you don't get the wind that you normally do on a side balcony. We were able to use our balcony much more than I thought we would.

Have a wonderful time and enjoy your aft!:D

The ship will be rotated 360 degrees so anybody with an OV bal. will get to see. If you want to view the full time then you will have to move aroud as the ship moves.

Some areas of the ship will have a longer time to view.

I have been to Hubbard when there was no rotation at all. A smaller ship was there, too.

I have been to Hubbard when there was no rotation at all. A smaller ship was there, too.

Thats true, another ship there or large chunks of ice in the water would alter the normal plan, normally its 360 so everybody gets a good view. Of course to leave some rotation is necessary.

Thanks for all the replies ... I had already made my mind up to go to the helipad so I really didn't need all the convincing though :)

I am sure my Aft will be useful for other things ...

One month from now I will be in Vancouver getting ready to board in a few days!!! :D I am so excited!!

Be careful with getting too caught up over it.

Nobody knows what will happen once you get there. You will depend on nature and weather and ice conditions can mix things up.The other unknown is other ships around.

Your best bet IMO is to not overplan this and be prepared to move around. There is no best spot to be. The best option to me has always been to move around and get a view from Helipad, top deck, my own balcony .... All views are slightly different and to me moving around is the way to do it.

Be careful with getting too caught up over it.

Nobody knows what will happen once you get there. You will depend on nature and weather and ice conditions can mix things up.The other unknown is other ships around.

Your best bet IMO is to not overplan this and be prepared to move around. There is no best spot to be. The best option to me has always been to move around and get a view from Helipad, top deck, my own balcony .... All views are slightly different and to me moving around is the way to do it.

I agree and if I was healthy and able to move around quickly (without pain and the use of a cane) that is exactly how I would do it! To make a plan of action - even if it isn't followed 100% - always seems to work best for me. :o

And remember if the Captain says there are seals on an ice floe at 9:00 he doesn't mean AM. :)

We were on the port side watching the glacier when he made that announcement and the lady sitting near us looked at her watch and said that it was 10ish so that didn't do them a lot of good. I didn't want to embarrass her but since I figured she and her daughter probably wanted to see the seals I pointed out that what he meant was that the bow of the ship was 12, starboard 3, aft 6 and port 9:00 so they were right out to the left of us. We all got a laugh out of it and they saw the seals.

And remember if the Captain says there are seals on an ice floe at 9:00 he doesn't mean AM. :)

We were on the port side watching the glacier when he made that announcement and the lady sitting near us looked at her watch and said that it was 10ish so that didn't do them a lot of good. I didn't want to embarrass her but since I figured she and her daughter probably wanted to see the seals I pointed out that what he meant was that the bow of the ship was 12, starboard 3, aft 6 and port 9:00 so they were right out to the left of us. We all got a laugh out of it and they saw the seals.

I might have told them the Captain was a bit early and they had another 11 hours to get their camera out.:p

BUT

We had aft 1100 on the Radiance (northbound). We stayed in our cabin because our son was still asleep. I had the tv on so I could see us approaching. The captain made an announcement about 7:00 am that we were approaching. Then we kept going in and out of our balcony to see the scenery. Once there, the ship did turn and we got fantastic photos! I posted a link to my photos over on the Alaska board. I think the Hubbard pictures are in book #2. (had to split my photos into 2 photo books).

Personally I don't feel we missed a thing by waiting to see it on our balcony in the back. And I think we were shielded from the chilly breeze a bit on the back.

You are going to have a great time!! Enjoy!!

Oops, forgot the link to the photos is also at the bottom of my signature.

When we did this cruise last July...We stayed on our balcony and watched in awe and amazement at this beautiful sight. The captain then turned the ship so the other side passengers could see...At that time we simply walked across the ship to the promenade deck and watched in amazement again. Also, make sure for this part of the trip you have hat, gloves and coat on as it gets pretty cold sailing pass the glacier....enjoy :)

Do not assume that you will still be there after breakfast. On our 2009 Radiance cruise, we were woken up at 7:15 that we were at the glacier. We watched out of our oceanview for a little while, then I got the 3 kids dressed and we went to have breakfast before heading out on deck. The ship left the area at 8:10, just after we had ordered. :eek::mad: This year I'm going with Princess.

As I recall from last week, to get to the helipad, you can just go out to the promenade deck (deck 5) and walk all the way forward, then up 10 or 12 steps. We went up there around the time of the captain's announcement, but it was pretty packed, and he started turning fairly soon after that, so we spent a lot of time outside on deck 5 right at the railing, going from side to side watching the different angles. There were almost no people around, so it was great viewing! We had a balcony but only ducked down there when we knew it would be the perfect view, and snapped a picture. I thought it was better to be able to move around outside and always see stuff.

Caveat: We had relatively nice weather, and I was wearing long sleeves, a long-sleeved fleece, a windblock fleece vest, a windbreaker, and a hat. I'm sure I looked ridiculous, but I was perfectly comfortable out there for hours!

Archived