Transportation from NYC to JFK after transatlantic cruise?

seasprite

Help! I am dreading disembarkation after a previous NYC experience and reading all the postings. I will be returning from a transatlantic crossing on May 4th and my car will be at JFK, since we are flying from there to London before the cruise. I want to make the transfer as painless as possible, but don't know which option to choose. There will be 4 of us in a group, one of them my 81 yr. old mother in law. Cunard has sedans, limos and bus transfers. The cheapest of these is $42 per person for a bus transfer up to $170 per person for a limo. Should I try a different limo or car company? One posting I read said it was a madhouse at NYC with limos everywhere and finding the right driver with your name on the sign sounds overwhelming. I'd like to make this as painless as possible, but can't afford Cunard's prices, except for their motorcoach, which with 4 of us is still rather steep in total. Any suggestions? Thanks for helping....you are a great group!!

You know, I just got chills when thinking of debarkation in NYC! I didn't know any better the first time, but I learned, and you can actually make it quite easy on yourself.

When cruising in and out of New York City, I've used Carmel Limo (www.carmellimo.com) for airport transfers. They came highly recommended from my New Yorker friends when I was going through the same thing you are!

I'm not certain of their prices and if they're competitive with what you've already looked at, but I imagine they'll easily beat whatever Cunard's quoting. Right now their website is quoting $60 for a minivan from Manhattan to JFK, couldn't tell you if that's per person or not; I doubt it is, maybe they charge a fee for each additional passenger? You also have the vehicle all to yourself, which helps eliminate confusion and waiting. I definitely wouldn't want to pile onto a bus after a luxurious cruise! Most importantly, I can tell you they are 100% professional and reliable. They have town cars, minivans, and limos... we've used only the town cars at it has only been two of us.

YES, NYC debarkation it is an absolute madhouse and like nothing I'd ever, ever seen before! But, you can solve the problem with a cell phone. As soon as you walk off the ship and into the hustle and bustle of that crazy sidewalk, look for a well marked pillar (they're marked clearly, like A, B, etc.), park yourself by it and call the number the Carmel folks give you when you reserved. Tell them exactly where you are, they tell the driver, who's likely already circling that craziness looking for you, and he'll show up in minutes to whisk you out of there! You actually end up feeling kind of sorry for the folks stuck in the endless taxi line who are probably paying the same amount you are. :(

Last time we cruised out of NYC, we had a long layover before our flight left, and asked Carmel if we could use a driver well acquainted with the city for a three hour tour or so. It worked out perfectly and we had a blast!

Just a suggestion... but no matter which service you choose, make sure they're the kind that you call when you're on the pier so you can tell them how to find you.

GOOD LUCK and HAPPY CRUISING! A transatlantic crossing... WOW!!!

• 4 months later...

Super shuttle charges by the person. If you are travelling with others a car service will be the same money or less than Super Shuttle. If you are travelling alone you will save money using Super Shuttle.

Unfortunately, the NYC cruise port needs some tender loving care before it is no longer a frustrating experience for most travelers. If you can carry all of your luggage with you, then drag yourself a block or two east of the cruise port to hail a yellow cab to your destination and you could save an hour of waiting in a crowd.

Archived