are outside cabins worth the money?

hi looking to book outside cabin on destiny for the colourful coasts but does anybody know if the windows on decks 2/3 are all portholes and how much light and how much viewing can you do through these and is it really worth paying the suppliment wanted to add a little extra to this one as hubby is 60 the week before:):confused:

hi looking to book outside cabin on destiny for the colourful coasts but does anybody know if the windows on decks 2/3 are all portholes and how much light and how much viewing can you do through these and is it really worth paying the suppliment wanted to add a little extra to this one as hubby is 60 the week before:):confused:

Hi we got upgraded last year because of a problem with the booking, from deck 3 inside to deck 3 outside. They were port holes.

We always get an inside cabin on any cruise so we are used to inside cabins. I would not pay the extra for an outside but it was good to have some natural light.

I would spend the extra on a Birthday treat on the ship for hubby 60th.

Have a good one.

I suppose the advantage of having a porthole on the colourful coasts is you would be able to see what the weather is like when you get up (can vary in Canaries in the winter - assume that is when you are doing it?) however we have done both inside & outside and I wouldn't bother with outside again; personally I would sooner put the extra money towards a trip or other spending money - or a 60th birthday cake & bottle of bubbly for your husband which can be arranged on board?!!

If it is just a porthole, you can't see an awful lot; the disadvantage too if you are low down is if the sea is rough at night, you might see the waves crashing against the portholes and you will certainly hear it if you are low down; we had 2 rough nights on the Colourful Coast on the way to and from Morocco and I saw & heard the waves - we were on deck 3 of the Celebration !! :)

ooh that sounds creepy its just that I do miss having some sunshine coming in and having the natural light in the morning. we normally go inside as we are very rarely in the cabin only to sleep and change I may look at the price of going higher up although probably cant afford that or maybe do a stay and cruise and then we can look outside for a week before and it wouldnt matter then.It doesnt seem that much dearer to do a stay and cruise food for thought eh?

I suppose the advantage of having a porthole on the colourful coasts is you would be able to see what the weather is like when you get up (can vary in Canaries in the winter - assume that is when you are doing it?) however we have done both inside & outside and I wouldn't bother with outside again; personally I would sooner put the extra money towards a trip or other spending money - or a 60th birthday cake & bottle of bubbly for your husband which can be arranged on board?!!

If it is just a porthole, you can't see an awful lot; the disadvantage too if you are low down is if the sea is rough at night, you might see the waves crashing against the portholes and you will certainly hear it if you are low down; we had 2 rough nights on the Colourful Coast on the way to and from Morocco and I saw & heard the waves - we were on deck 3 of the Celebration !! :)

We were on deck for of the celebration in 2009 on the way to morocco, had a rough night and the waves were up to our windows

On Destiny the Outside cabins on Deck 3 have smallish pciture windows. On Deck they are portholes. We've had outsides on Destiny twice and liked the natural light an Outside cabin provides. Bear in mind that most of the outside cabins have the beds in an 'L' configuration. This is indicated on the deck plans by an 'L' next to the cabin number.

We wouldn't hesitate paying the extra just for the light even if it was a porthole.

I hope that helps.

Eddie

Just about to request a cabin, first timers ! Can someone please tell me if both 4 and 5 decks have windows or should I ask for 5, I am looking for a deck with minimum stairs. Husb. has walking probs. Thanks , mari. Lanzarote.

Check out the attached acrobat file

destiny decks.pdf

well opinion seems very divided its confused.com for me then, anybody else?

Just a thought - we used to leave the TV on at night on the channel that shows the front of the ship & where it's going; that way as it starts getting light, you can see daylight !!!

I saw your post about the cruise & stay - we did this on the Colourful Coasts & while it is personal choice, next time I would certainly do the hotel bit first as it was an anti-climax going to a hotel after such a fantastic week on the ship !!

We had an inside cabin on our last cruise and my wife hated it, no direct daylight, even leaving the TV on did not help.

She has vowed never to book an inside cabin again, she would very happily book an obstructed view, its the lack of light.

At home we have a street light nearly outside our bedroom, and she has to have the curtains fully open.

When we sailed on Spirit we were up on Deck 9, large picture window.

Me, I did not mind the inside, but cannot see us cruising in one again:);)

Check out the attached acrobat file

Many thanks (again) for this picture. I think all first timers will appreciate the help. We were totally bewildered by the Thomson ¨Deck Plans¨So its great to see in real terms. Booked & Sorted, Thankyou Dave.,, mari

We've done both and definitely would choose an outside cabin if funds permit. We book late and have to time it right as the upgrades change in price all the time. However, if money is tight any cabin is better than no cabin.:):)

Jan

yes thank you dave I have saved the file at home and on the works computer (Good job the boss doesnt know how to use the computer)

Right I know I am a pain asking all these questions as I want to do a little extra for this one would I be better booking extra legroom on the flight rather than spending the money on the outside cabin? But knowing me I will probably do the lot but as you can see I am an indecisive person at this point of planning. I really do appreciate the help of my cruise critic buddies.

Im a bit late to this but - on Destiny the cabins are so very small (and theres 3 of us and it feels a bit claustrophobic at times) I do think an outside helps with the window and a little natural light - we have booked an outside deck 3 for our cruise in Aug this year. HOWEVER we have done inside destiny twice and as you say you really are rarely in the cabin so if you dont mind - dont bother upgrading for the other ships inside is quite adequate, if you dont mind not having natural light.

Having said that... we have upgraded to outside for next aug round the Aegean - but have inside for Christmas - both times on celebration - so we can get both perspectives LOL - outside plus on Dream deck 7 was just fab - I ended up using the cabin a lot more than I have on previous cruises as there was more space, more comfort and the natural daylight was lovely, unlikely we could afford to do that again, but its nice to have experienced it once!! inside would be fine on Dream but id like to try for a higher deck, 6 or 7 and not 4 or 5, I felt more relaxed and orientated on the higher deck - I realise that probably sounds daft!! LOL - but all those stairs on Destiny disorientate me quite often LOL - it could also be because all the bars, show rooms and kidzone etc were on dec 8 and there was no going between decks on an evening!!

i have heard that the destiny cabins are small and having been on dream the cabin sizes on there spoil you (We were inside on deck 7 room 7097-perfect) also I kept sleeping in till late as the room was pitch black and think I would wake a bit earlier with some natural light coming in. would also be nice to see outside. I think having always gone inside but higher up you need to experience the opposite at least once then make a decision based on the two options.

On the Destiny I would pay for deck 6 or 7 outside. We were in cabin 6002 which faced forward and had two side by side beds rather than L shaped. I would say yes, definitely worth all the extra. Next time we are on Destiny we will book deluxe deck 7.

Right I know I am a pain asking all these questions as I want to do a little extra for this one would I be better booking extra legroom on the flight

We always do, makes the flight so much more comfortable (when doing short haul to Palma or Canaries - Caribbean seats are already quite roomy).

We always book row 12 (the front of the 2 rows of extra legroom seats), we tried row 13 once, but found although we had extra legroom, them behind us didn't and kept feeling their knees knocking the seat - a problem you don't get with row 12.

i know some people moan about having to pay for all these extras, but at the end of the day, thats how they keep costs down for those that don't want to pay for it, as it's our holidays, an extra £50 for decent seats on the plane we find worthwhile, after all, it is our holidays (and i can always miss a night out down the pub in the months before we go to fund it) :D

hi infoqueen .. like you we jumped ship last aug to the spirit. i have been reading your posts about when you were watching the prices for the dream. this weekend just gone there was an offer on free upgrade to outside plus cabins deck 5/6 . we had a really good deal four of us going for less than we are paying for 2 next year on the destiny.we have paid the £39 to pre book cabins mid ship on deck 6. we off on the 1st oct cant wait. next year have outside deck 6 on the destiny too expensive to go to a deluxe . we like the natural light and with the cabins being small , think i would of felt a bit closed in, in a inside ....

Hi cbmagic well you have got yourself a really good deal there but to be honest the cabins are really generous anyway on the dream you will have such a good time they seem to have got their act together really well now.Have been looking all day at the websites trying to decide what to do sort of thinking now 10th feb from bham, extra legroom seats, decks 4/5 outside and the £98 per booking all inclusive not sure whether to go home and book it hubby wont know until his birthday on the 25th jan and hope he wont shout at me (haha) but anyway we go away every february its just that we dont cruise normally. just thought I may push to boat out (Literally) for his 60th but bet he wont book me a holiday for mine in 4 years time unless I tell the kids to drop lots of hints.

shirley

Archived