Formals on Panama Canal

Ryancoke

My son and I are considering going through the Panama Canal on Coral Nov 22. It will be two weeks. I have a tux, he doesn't. How many formal nights should we expect? Some cruises are more formal than others and we want to fit in. Would the expected demographic tend to be older for this time and duration thus more be wearing tuxes? Does blue blazer and matching dress slacks qualify as a dark suit? What can we expect most people will be wearing? Thanks.

Hi,

We had the pleasure of doing the Panama Canal, full transit, on Island Princess last Nov/Dec and from memory, had two formal nights. We travelled from Australia, and "dragged" the formal gear - black dress for me, and tux for DH. We were doing a few cruises, so we didn't mind and enjoyed getting dressed. I am 52, DH is a young 64, and I was one of the "younger" cruisers. Whilst a lot of people did dress up, many men did not opt for tuxedos, and what you are planning to wear will be suitable.

Enjoy your trip and as caribill said "don't sweat the lack of tux".

My son and I are considering going through the Panama Canal on Coral Nov 22. It will be two weeks. I have a tux, he doesn't. How many formal nights should we expect? Some cruises are more formal than others and we want to fit in. Would the expected demographic tend to be older for this time and duration thus more be wearing tuxes? Does blue blazer and matching dress slacks qualify as a dark suit? What can we expect most people will be wearing? Thanks.

When you do book the cruise, you can sign on your Cruise Personalizer on the Princess Website and click on Itinerary; at the bottom of the itinerary page it will tell you the number of formal nights for your cruise. We are going on the PC cruise on the Coral in October, and it says 3 formal nights.

I haven't bothered bringing a tux in years. I bring a suit, but many wear a blazer and dress slacks. In fact, I haven't been on a cruise where I have not seen some who just wear slacks and shirt on a formal night. I certainly don't recommend it and I have heard of some who have been turned away on formal night.

On a two week cruise in November you also will find a much older crowd, mostly retirees. There are always some young people and even families, but most in this age group cannot take two weeks off, especially at this time of year. You will always find people to hang around with and most everyone will be friendly. And you will enjoy all the activities and the PC. Have a good time.

PS. You could also look at the Roll Call for the Nov 22nd cruise of the Coral to get an idea about who is going and what activities may be planned already.

Archived