Oceania Cruise Program 2013

kuldalai

Can anyone give an idea when Oceania will release their cruise program for calendar year 2013 ?

In the best of circumstances, Oceania usually releases the sailing schedules at "about" 15 months out.

The "Travel Partners" (a colorful term for Travel Agents) see them first, and the general public about a week or ten days afterward.

Hope that this helped- :o

Can anyone give an idea when Oceania will release their cruise program for calendar year 2013 ?

David,

Welcome to my favorite cruise line boards.

If you plan on cruising with Oceania, I think you will be pleased (I hope).

They will not release the schedule for the entire 2013 calendar year - it will be more like from Nov '12 to April/May '13.

I hope you decide to give them a try - it would be quite a change from Virgo.

Paul

Due to the lack of interest for these cruises in 2011 Oceania does not plan to visit Alaska in 2012 (or ever?).

And yet the August 14th Vancouver-SF itinerary was so oversold that we received a most tempting offer to switch to another cruise. I believe there were wait lists in every category.

And yet the August 14th Vancouver-SF itinerary was so oversold that we received a most tempting offer to switch to another cruise. I believe there were wait lists in every category.

That may be, but for most sailings they were offering all sorts of discounts and incentives (OBC, etc). I think if it had been as successful as they hoped it would be, they would have scheduled it for '12 again.

That may be, but for most sailings they were offering all sorts of discounts and incentives (OBC, etc). I think if it had been as successful as they hoped it would be, they would have scheduled it for '12 again.

FDR said in April that the Alaskan itinerary would not be offered again for financial reasons.

FDR said in April that the Alaskan itinerary would not be offered again for financial reasons.

Hi Suzan,

That was my impression as well, though I did not hear it from FDR (he seldom consults me on anything - I don't know why :D).

Paul

Hi Suzan,

That was my impression as well, though I did not hear it from FDR (he seldom consults me on anything - I don't know why :D).

Paul

LOL....yes, he wasn't consulting us.... :)

We just lucked into a 30 minute conversation with him Easter Sunday night, as we were practically the last ones on the Terrace Cafe deck. He stopped by our table and talked about a variety of subjects and answered any questions our group had. Alaska was one topic, and he was pretty straight forward that it was a financial decision. The market is saturated with cruise lines going to Alaska, and Oceania has a plethora of other places to go.

I'm certainly looking forward to seeing O's new itineraries. We're booked on our next one, but curious to see what's in store.

I am hoping they will do a Scandinavian cruise that does not include Russia, or the Arctic. O did one last year but everything seems to be to the Baltic this year. I loved Oslo and Copenhagen and would like to some fjords as well. But no one consults me either! LOL

I am hoping they will do a Scandinavian cruise that does not include Russia, or the Arctic. O did one last year but everything seems to be to the Baltic this year. I loved Oslo and Copenhagen and would like to some fjords as well. But no one consults me either! LOL

I also would love just such a cruise; with land (hotel and restaurant) prices so high, it would be wonderful to have a Norway/Denmark/Sweden cruise.

I also would love just such a cruise; with land (hotel and restaurant) prices so high, it would be wonderful to have a Norway/Denmark/Sweden cruise.

There may be good news on land and sea on the Scandinavian front, since the recent act of terrorism is sure to effect their tourism.

As grandmother used to say "It is an ill wind..."

JimandStan, I see that you were on the boards at about 3am. I have problems using my toothbrush after 11 pm and y'all are using a keyboard and making sense...wow! Since we are posting our dream trips we'd love to sail from Buenos Aires (or Rio) to Valparaiso,Chile but going thru the Panama Canal. My husband, who will never make admiral, has no desire to sail through the Straits; he feels paying $ to be seasick is not a wise investment.

JimandStan, I see that you were on the boards at about 3am. I have problems using my toothbrush after 11 pm and y'all are using a keyboard and making sense...wow! Since we are posting our dream trips we'd love to sail from Buenos Aires (or Rio) to Valparaiso,Chile but going thru the Panama Canal. My husband, who will never make admiral, has no desire to sail through the Straits; he feels paying $ to be seasick is not a wise investment.

Is your husband a gambler?

We had terrific weather with sunny skies and calm seas going through the Straights. It happens more often than you'd think.

We just did this trip with Oceania in March/April 2010. It was a 20 or 24 day cruise. We left Valparaiso, Chile (a week after their huge earthquake), went to Peru, Equador, the Panama Canal, Colombia, Devil's Island, Granada, Aruba and ended in Rio. It was a fantastic cruise.

Senior Citizen: We had dinner one night with the captain and told him of our desire to take the canal route to Valpo and he agreed saying some of his worse weather as a captain was in the Straits. (At one point in a cruise he said, he turned to the patron saint of sailors because he, the captain, had done everything he could.) To my friend Paul: my husband is a genius computer geek and the word "gambler" is not in his vocabulary. His mind just doesn't work that way. Back in the good old days of Comdex (international computer fair held in Vegas) when the engineers arrived in town, the "girls" went on vacation or to Atlantic City and the gambling places lost money. So no, I won't be going on any current O South America cruises unless I go without him....a non-starter.

Senior Citizen: We had dinner one night with the captain and told him of our desire to take the canal route to Valpo and he agreed saying some of his worse weather as a captain was in the Straits. (At one point in a cruise he said, he turned to the patron saint of sailors because he, the captain, had done everything he could.) To my friend Paul: my husband is a genius computer geek and the word "gambler" is not in his vocabulary. His mind just doesn't work that way. Back in the good old days of Comdex (international computer fair held in Vegas) when the engineers arrived in town, the "girls" went on vacation or to Atlantic City and the gambling places lost money. So no, I won't be going on any current O South America cruises unless I go without him....a non-starter.

In 2009, we did take the cruise from Valparaiso, Chile to Buenos Aires going the southern route. DH gets seasick so we canceled our Oceania reservations and joined friends on a Radiance of the Seas cruise since that ship is a lot bigger than the R ships and much more stable in rough waters. It was smooth as glass when we went around and were we thankful!!! However, the captain announced later that day that two hours after we went through, the waves were 10 feet high. The weather and seas down there can change very quickly.

We just returned from a cruise to Iceland on Marina. Seas were calm. We were expecting rough seas but again we were lucky.

The roughest seas we have dealt with were on the MV of the Marina. We couldn't even make port in Malaga or Gibraltar. Seas were very rough. Then, when we headed out into the open waters of the Atlantic for the crossing, the seas were calm.

I guess it really is a crap shoot.

Radiance of the Seas cruise since that ship is a lot bigger than the R ships and much more stable in rough waters.

It is a common misconception that bigger ships are inherently better in bad weather, and that might have been somewhat true, back before stabilizers allowed deck after deck of veranda cabins to be added on.

rms-mauretania.jpg These old liners were built with a no nonsense profile that is so stark that it is beautiful. Not an ounce of excess, anywhere.

Explorer_of_the_Seas-2.jpg However, there is no way that this top heavy behemoth is stable in ANY kind of seas. As you can see by this photograph, they have trouble ballasting her properly, even on calm days.

I'm certainly glad that you didn't hit rough seas in her. :eek:

JimandStan,

I continue to be amazed by the wealth of pictures and information that you possess and share. I'll bet you are formidable trivia players!

BTW, when the seas were showing their fury during the Maiden Voyage, we did think that the Marina was amazingly stable and we attributed that to the state-of-the-art stabilizers. However, DH and a few others didn't make it to dinner that night...or tea...or lunch...or breakfast...

JimandStan, there you go again with the awesome photos...I especially loved the first one, but then again black and whites are a fave (or is it sepia...hard to tell). Thanks for the great pix.

Archived