Tropics Next Week

cjhbeh

We are leaving on Victory in few days and took a peek at tropics. Not looking good for us. Anyone have experience with how Carnival handles tropical disturbances (assuming we cannot go to the islands as scheduled)? Does Carnival try to find other ports or do they just make everyday a sea day? Still early but pretty high chance of development in next few days. Has anyone been in this situation and if so, what did Carnival do on 7 night cruise?

We were on the Conquest last fall headed for Jamaica when a tropical disturbance grew and became a tropical storm. We were within 60 feet of the dock and had to abandon the port due to 80 mph winds.

We missed Grand Cayman the next day as the port authority had canceled tender operations as the seas were too rough for safety.

We did make our last port of call, Cozumel. So, it was a seven day cruise to Cozumel.

To tell you the truth, I think this kind of scenario is more common than one in which you divert to another port. It's quite seldom that a port, any port, can handle more cruise ships with virtually no notice. The logistics simply don't work. If the conditions are bad PRIOR to sailing, ports closed, etc, Carnival may cancel the cruise, change ports or allow you to cancel without penalty.

If there's a system out there that might be an issue prepare to miss one or more ports of call... plain and simple. Also, you need to be aware that your cruise contract gives Carnival the right to cancel one or all of your calls for pretty much any reason so there is little recourse. Just sayin... Things got pretty ugly on the Conquest as a couple first timers were claiming that if they could get 51% of the passengers to sign a petition that they would get their money back for the cruise... total BS...

:)

We are leaving on Victory in few days and took a peek at tropics. Not looking good for us. Anyone have experience with how Carnival handles tropical disturbances (assuming we cannot go to the islands as scheduled)? Does Carnival try to find other ports or do they just make everyday a sea day? Still early but pretty high chance of development in next few days. Has anyone been in this situation and if so, what did Carnival do on 7 night cruise?
They will do their best to make it the best that they can. This might mean missing a port or sometimes flipping some (based upon port availability). I would leave the worry to them and concentrate on making the best of your cruise vacation.

Well said Jimbo! We are boarding the Freedom tomorrow. We are supposed to go to Panama but the way things are looking right now, I wouldn't be surprised if they changed our itinerary. As my wife said, as long as we board tomorrow, I don't care where we go.

Well said Jimbo! We are boarding the Freedom tomorrow. We are supposed to go to Panama but the way things are looking right now, I wouldn't be surprised if they changed our itinerary. As my wife said, as long as we board tomorrow, I don't care where we go.

With that attitude (it the best to have btw) I am sure you will have a great trip. Mach did have a black cloud following him and the "crazies" around for a while, but they always enjoyed themselves as well. Let us know how it all worked out when you return (regardless of where you went).

With that attitude (it the best to have btw) I am sure you will have a great trip. Mach did have a black cloud following him and the "crazies" around for a while, but they always enjoyed themselves as well. Let us know how it all worked out when you return (regardless of where you went).

How true, Jim. We did have a fantastic time despite the conditions and missing two of three ports. It was on that voyage the John Heald dubbed us 'The SWAT Team of Fun' on his blog!!!

:D

How true, Jim. We did have a fantastic time despite the conditions and missing two of three ports. It was on that voyage the John Heald dubbed us 'The SWAT Team of Fun' on his blog!!!

:D

Ahhh, so that is where that came from. There are worse things to be called, you guys wear the moniker with pride.

Just realize when you go on a cruise there is no guarantee you will get to the ports on the itinerary.

They often switch ports around or sometimes go elsewhere but just make the best of it.

Besides no fun sailing thru hurricane to get to the original itinerary.

Archived