Flying to Istanbul/Grand Hyatt Istanbul/Grand Bazaar/

kadey

Wripo-Snarky response--I've tried to teach my kids it's not what you say,but how you say it!

I've cruised 12 times. Two times in the Med. Most of the times we do DIY.We have never used cruise transportation to the ports or airports. That being said,I certainly understand if people make that choice because of convenience or for comfort level. Oceania offers a very nice package. Of course I know that I'm paying for everything in the package. I haven't decided yet if we will take the whole package,parts of the package or cruise only.Istanbul and Turkey is really a new area for me. There is so much information that hearing from those who have done it before is fantastic! I love Cruise Critic! I can come here and pick all sorts of people's minds. I REALLY appreciate when someone takes the time to share their experiences with me. In return,I like to help out others when they need help/advice about places that we visited.

We should remember that there will always be people on these boards that have less experience than yourself and others that have more experience than yourself. We all need valuable advice and/or can give the same. That's what we are all here for! If we have an unkind thought about a question...as adults, we know we can keep them in our own heads!

From the day we put our deposit down on this cruise I have asked quite a few questions! I really thank you all for your thoughts. I think that I am starting to make some really educated plans that DH and I will love and be comfortable doing when we arrive to begin this new adventure!!Thanks-Kade

Kadey.

I agree. In rereading my response it was a bit snarky and I apologize. All I meant to convey is that it is so easy to do these things through a travel agent while saving money by getting the $500 credit.

No problem! That was nice of you to apologize.Also,you are right...after doing my research I can do it cheaper by booking on my own. Yet, there is still a little comfort in sticking with the cruise arrangements in an area that is so foreign to me. Luckily, I still have time to decide! Thanks wripo-Kade

I really don't think you can compare the 4 Seasons with Sari Konak, they are in different worlds despite being in the same area. We had no issue with staying at Sari Konak given how little time we spent in the room but don't kid yourself, it's very basic accommodation with a lovely breakfast area and a great roof top bar. If you have very low expectations you'll be fine, otherwise you might be well advised to seek out alternates. The Sultanahmet area is for me the best place to stay in Istanbul for local flavour, proximity to sites and restaurants. Loved spending a hard day touring and then relaxing on an outdoor patio over a long dinner with a couple bottles of wine while people watching.

Another vote for Sari Konak. Stayed there in 2008. We had been on a river cruise/tour from Amsterdam to the Black Sea, then overland to Istanbul where our tour hotel was the Ritz Carlton in Taksim Square area. Very boring location compared to the Sultanahmet area where Sari Konak is. After a few weeks of independent travel in Turkey we finished back in Istanbul at the Sari Konak, which back then was in the top three on Trip Advisor. An excellent choice, very clean rooms and very obliging managment. Caribbeansun paints a fair picture. Yes, it isn't the Four Seasons, or the Ritz, but it was just fine - and the Sultanahmet area is where you want to be. Check the hotel website and the reviews on Trip Advisor. Not all rooms are equal - we booked the room we wanted based on Trip Advisor recommendations and online photos. The hotel arranged for transport to the airport for us so I am sure that they could also get you to the cruise ship.

Hi Emma Chisit! I am looking at booking this hotel for myself and DH. Could you please advise me on the type or specific room you wanted to book? Thanks-Kade

Hi kadey

About choosing a room….When we stayed at Sari Konak in 2008 we read all the reviews on Trip Advisor. Many reviewers at that time recommended Room # 303 (Deluxe Double room), so that is what we requested, and it was available for our dates of stay. There are pictures on the hotel website of all their rooms, some of which have been added since 2008, so you could pick one based on current Trip Advisor reviews. (Thought often it seems that hotel room pictures are like real estate website pictures – they can be very flattering.) Room #303 was very clean, but as caribbeansun said the rooms are simple – it certainly wasn’t the Ritz, where we had stayed earlier on our cruise/tour. The room overlooked the street, but was quiet as the double-glazed windows were efficient – you could not hear street noise or even the beautiful call to prayer from the Blue Mosque. The stairs to the roof terrace are beside this room so there could be some noise from people using these. This did not happen during our stay - the bar was being renovated so the terrace was not much used. The view as caribbeansun's pictures show is beautiful (especially at night); the Blue Mosque is very close. Many important Istanbul sights are within easy walking distance (or easily accessible by tram). Blue Mosque and Hagia Sofia of course, but the Cistern is a “don’t miss”, also the nearby Arasta Bazaar, although you will want to visit the amazing Grand Bazaar also, which is further afield.

You might also consider Sirkeci Konak (mentioned by CintiPam) and a Travellers’ Choice 2011 winner on Trip Advisor. It was also one we considered in 2008 as it was highly rated then as well; but I believe it was fully booked for our dates. It is hard to get a handle on a city when you haven’t been there before – we found this before we went to Istanbul. However, after having stayed in both the Taksim Square area at the Ritz-Carlton and the Sultanahmet area at Sari Konak we preferred the latter location as it was more atmospheric.

I am trying to do it on my own! I think I'm getting a little braver!! After gathering all the great information that you all shared,we decided that we do want to stay in the Old City. With the short time that we have in Istanbul,most of what we want to see is in that area.

Sari Konak is booked with a wedding for the night we will be there.

I've also emailed Sirkeci Konak and Hotel Nena. I'm hoping to arrange transportation with the hotels too.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks- Kade

We stayed at the Sirkeci Konak last year and they were extremely helpful. At the time we stayed, they provided transportation from the airport to the hotel or from the hotel to the airport with a stay of 4 or more nights. We met 2 other couples at the hotel who were sailing with us and the hotel made arrangements for a van and driver to take us to the port the day we embarked. We of course paid for this transportation but unfortunately, I can't remember the cost. The tram is less than a block away and you can get tram tokens from the desk in the hotel. Most places are walkable but we did take the tram to the Grand Bazaar.

I can heartily recommend the Yesil Ev Hotel, located in the heart of Istanbul's Old Town, the area everyone suggests. It's well run by AAA of turkey and was the home of a Pasha. It's in walking distance of Hagia Sophia, Topkapi, the Cisterns, the Grand Bazaar and more. Good breakfast, too.

You should check the reviews on Trip Advisor and will probably be convinced.

Like CAG, we stayed at the Sirkeci Konak, but there also are many new excellent boutique hotels in the Sultanahmet area. I would take a look at the hotel reviews and rankings on sister website tripadvisor and the very active Istanbul forum there.

Archived