Buying liquor in port

re-re

Hi, I would like to purchase liquor in Cayman Island, what is the latest time can you buy so it can be delivered to the ship? What time are the stores open? Maybe i can shop before excursion, and yes i asked this on the port of calls board but nobody is home :)

Hi, I would like to purchase liquor in Cayman Island, what is the latest time can you buy so it can be delivered to the ship? What time are the stores open? Maybe i can shop before excursion, and yes i asked this on the port of calls board but nobody is home :)

My suggestion is to order it before you do an excursion.. I have no idea what the latest time to order is...

Just and FYI

Carnival will price match with any of the duty free stores, so if its something they carry, that might be a better option. You would need a store flyer showing the price, some have been successful just taking a picture of the bottle and price.

Oh i forgot to say port time is 8:00 til 4:00pm, Thanks.

your last tender will probably be about 3pm.

What other ports are you going to Grnd Cayman is expensive compared to other ports.

But if you need to buy it here-- buy it before the excursions- stores will be uber crowded afterwards with everyone seeking to buy the last minute stuff before heading back to the ship

your last tender will probably be about 3pm.

What other ports are you going to Grnd Cayman is expensive compared to other ports.

But if you need to buy it here-- buy it before the excursions- stores will be uber crowded afterwards with everyone seeking to buy the last minute stuff before heading back to the ship

Okay and Thanks, the other port is Jamaica and i really wanted to buy some BBD Rum,i'm not sure if i can buy it in Jamaica, My cruise is a long way off just starting my research early:D

Okay and Thanks, the other port is Jamaica and i really wanted to buy some BBD Rum,i'm not sure if i can buy it in Jamaica, My cruise is a long way off just starting my research early:D

No, BBD is only available in Grand Cayman. At least that has been my experience so far.

The stores stop selling liquor 1 to 1 1/2 hours before the ship sails. There is some silly GC law that says all alcohol MUST be delivered to the ship. You are not allowed to take it with you. This means they must get it on the last tender, and they prefer not to be running down the dock trying to get it on the tender before it leaves .... :D

When we were there in June, I got shut out.... Didn't know about this law and showed up to the stores right after they shut down sales. I didn't get my BBD (yeah, since this is a family board, initials are prolly best.....). Oh well, you live and learn.

Smart of you to ask this question in advance.

Bob

Oh yeah, and not all stores carry BBD. There is a nice liquor store right on the edge of the pier area before you go out the gate that does NOT carry it. However, if you cross the street from that store there is a multi level outdoor shopping center where you can get it. Cross the street to the right and go up the stairs to the second level of the center and there is a store that does have it.

Hope you have better luck than I did.

Bob

Oh yeah, and not all stores carry BBD. There is a nice liquor store right on the edge of the pier area before you go out the gate that does NOT carry it. However, if you cross the street from that store there is a multi level outdoor shopping center where you can get it. Cross the street to the right and go up the stairs to the second level of the center and there is a store that does have it.

Hope you have better luck than I did.

Bob

Thank you so much for that info, sorry you didn't get a chance to get your rum,i will make sure to go early:)

Just and FYI

Carnival will price match with any of the duty free stores, so if its something they carry, that might be a better option. You would need a store flyer showing the price, some have been successful just taking a picture of the bottle and price.

i found that the alcohol that i purchased to bring home was cheaper on the ship than in the port shops.

We didn't get our BBD either, because the shop had closed. We didn't know about this rule/law. Guess that means they'll be another trip to GC in the future.

I like the way you think.;)

Okay i just got this info online,Dick's Liquor in the Landmark Building is open 8:30 til 4:00pm and only sells to cruise passengers, store hours may vary by ship time, Just thought i'd pass this info along for anybody that may be interested in shopping before an excursion.;)

Archived