Driving to Long Beach

nick_091909

So we will be driving down to the ports instead of flying this time to save some money. Just had a quick question for those who have made the drive from Northern Ca down to Long Beach. It looks pretty straight forward on the map. Any areas I should watch out for with traffic or anything. We can't leave until Sunday, the day of the cruise, due to previous obligations. We are hoping to get on the road between 4 and 5 am. For those that have made this drive south how long did it take you, and from where? We are right outside of Sacramento, figure it will take 7, maybe 8, hours depending on how many stops. Thanks for any info :)

I make that trip frequently. At the speed limit you should make it in seven hours, longer depending on your stops enroute. The hang up will be any traffic problems in LA. Leaving at 4am should still leave you plenty of time should you encounter any problems; however, leaving a little earlier would be better.

When are you sailing? The 9/11/11 cruise in your signature? The Grapevine (Hwy 5)area can be impacted by weather- snow or ice- in the winter, or fires in the summer, fall and even early winter.

Never have seen a problem with ice/snow on the grapevine in September. But I have been delayed by fires near the 5. CHP will usually keep at least 1 lane of the freeway open.

Go to this site for up to date road conditions for the state.

Road condition website

Also, KABC tv has a traffic condition for the LA area and a free APP from Waze that has up to minute traffic alerts.

Live Los Angeles Area Traffic from the ABC7 Traffic Center

Never have seen a problem with ice/snow on the grapevine in September.

I didn't say the OP would have problems with snow/ice in September. I said in winter. The OP didn't specify when they would be driving. Notice I asked if this was for the September cruise in their signature.

It could be for some other cruise this winter that is not listed in their signature. And, as many people turn off the setting that allows them to see signatures, many would not even have a hint the OP might be driving in September.

So I asked a sort of open questions as to their plans.

Looks like 4am is the winner. And yes it is the Sept cruise in my signature. Now I just need to make sure the misses is on board with a 3:30am wake up. I have to get up for work around that time anyway, so I'm used to it. Hmmm I probably won't even sleep...will be too excited to get the vacation rolling :D Thanks all for the input!

I would think leaving that early, you would have no problem getting to Long Beach in 7 to 8 hours--I would just listen to the traffic to decide whether to take the 5 to 405 to 710 or 5 to 710. 5 to 405 to 710 is shorter, but traffic through West LA can be bad--no matter what day or time.

We're also from sac area and will be driving down for the Sept 18th cruise. Where is everyone parking?

We've done this drive many times and have never had a problem leaving at 4 am.

If you're going on the Splendor, the only place to park is at the pier for $15/day, unless you plan on staying at a hotel beforehand.

We live south of San Jose and it takes about 5-6 hours with 1-2 stops. We have tried 5 to 405 to 710 and will probably never do that again. We always do 5 to 710 and unless there is an accident (which is common in the LA area) you should have no problems. In May there was some construction on 5 around Buttonwillow, not sure if that's done or not, but there isn't a whole lot of traffic on 5 early on Sunday morning.

We're also from sac area and will be driving down for the Sept 18th cruise. Where is everyone parking?

We've done this drive many times and have never had a problem leaving at 4 am.

I park in my garage and my next door neighbor drives us to the port.

Archived