One day excursions in Rio?

CACruzrs

Can anybody out there recommend a person or agency that provides reasonably priced and safe transportation to/from the airport and a hotel and to/from a hotel to some of the Rio highlights like Sugarloaf, Christ the Redeemer statue, etc.?

Any recommendations from somebody who has done Rio on their own using public transportation?

Can anybody out there recommend a person or agency that provides reasonably priced and safe transportation to/from the airport and a hotel and to/from a hotel to some of the Rio highlights like Sugarloaf, Christ the Redeemer statue, etc.?

Any recommendations from somebody who has done Rio on their own using public transportation?

This is what we're using for an airport (GIG)-hotel transfer: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/16754042-post37.html

Are you just looking for transportation or for a guided tour of various sites? I can highly recommend Rio Plus, a small company owned by 2 women (Embratur Official Guides) with a long history in the travel industry in Brazil. We used them in '09 for airport/hotel/cruise transfers, as well as full-day sightseeing. I know I've posted about them recently, but they are really good and worth mentioning again. ;);)

We anchored our day in Rio around the iconic biggies of Christ Redeemer and Sugarloaf and were fortunate to have good weather to see both. We also went to Tijuca Forest, Copa/Ipanema Beaches, Flamenco Park and Sao Bento Monastery. Our guide suggested a stop at Colombo Tea House which we enjoyed immensely. Then we did a walking tour of historic downtown, visited Metropolitan Cathedral, Candelaria Church and Selaron Stairway. We added a few things that weren't initially on our must-see list which our guide thought we may enjoy: Sambodromo to see the Carnival costumes and Sao Conrado Beach to watch the hang-gliders land. My only regret is that we didn't explore the funky district of Santa Teresa a bit more.

We spent a total of 10 non-stop hours (8:30am-6:30pm) with our Rio Plus guide. It was a long, fulfilling and exhausting day. I can highly recommend their service.

http://www.rioplustours.com/english/

Taxis in Rio are one of the few remaining bargains. They are metered and licensed. It is safe and easy to use a metered cab to go from the airport to your hotel and from your hotel to Sugarloaf and Corcovado. There isn't much a guide can add to these sights. When using cabs, insist on using the meters. Don't agree on a fixed rate - it will invariably be to your detriment.

This is what we're using for an airport (GIG)-hotel transfer: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/16754042-post37.html

Shuttle Rio isn't bad if you are at one of the hotels it services and are a single traveler (R$15 pp) with one suitcase. But for a couple with 2 suitcases each it would be about the same cost as a taxi ( 2x 15 + 5 for each of 2 extra suitcases = R$40) without the scheduling wait and additional delay for stops not at your hotel.

We spent 5 days in Rio and used public buses, metro & taxis to get around. We rented an apartment between Copacabana & Ipanema thru VRBO. Used Shuttle Rio to and from the airport as we detest airport taxis and Rio's seem to have a pretty bad reputation. For Sugarloaf we took a taxi to arrive first thing in the morning and only had a few workers and maybe 5 tourists on the first tram up, very nice & peaceful. As we had time to figure things out after we came back down, we took a public bus back to Ipanema. For Corcovado we took a taxi to the train station, again arriving for the first train in the morning, bought the tickets from the booth and boarded. From there we took a cab over to Santa Theresa wandered around there for a bit and then walked down to the metro and took that back to Ipanema. Botanical gardens is also very nice and easy to get to on public bus. We found the people in Rio very helpful when we were trying to figure out the buses and we don't speak any Portuguese. Another day we rented bicycles and rode up and down the beaches of Ipanema and Copacabana as well as Lagoa Rodrigo. At no time did we feel threatened in Rio, we stuck to the main tourist areas, wore zero jewellery and didn't wander around at night or try and go into any favellas!! Both hubby and I have travelled a lot and we both found Rio to be the most beautiful city we've ever been to. You can see our pics at www dot gtbow dot smugmug dot com. Feel free to send me an email daskew24 at gmail dot com if you want further info.

Just expanding on posts by No 61 & Carmelita:

The cabs all have the same livery.

Those parked at the port gate will almost certainly want a fixed rate. If you know where you want to go, walk past them to the street & hail a passing metered cab. If you don't have local currency, check with the driver that USD are acceptable - usually they are, & the driver will give a decent rate of exchange using a conversion chart.

The exception might be for Corcovado. There are two ways to get up there:

A cab all the way. For four of you, it's the cheapest option. The driver will wait for you (spend about an hour there), then bring you back down & back to the ship or elsewhere, such as Ipenema or Sugarloaf cable station. There are no cabs available at the top. Our negotiated fixed rate was almost identical to metered fare/waiting time - the guy had left his meter running to see for himself. But beware of taxi touts comparing their rates with the price of the funicular - the funicular fare includes admission, payable at the top if you arrive by car. Admission rates vary according to season.

A cab to the funicular station. Hail a metered cab for this. At the station, you'll join a line to buy a ticket for a timed train. Fine good and early in the morning, fine late in the day. Your ticket time may mean a 0 to 30 minute wait. But mid-morning trains are block-booked by tour groups & you could face a 2 to 3 hour wait for your train. Leaving the station at the end of your train trip, and at other hotspots such as the sugarloaf station, parked-up cabs will want a fixed fare. Again, walk into the street & hail a metered cab.

JB :)

I agree that you don't necessarily need a pre-arranged service to get from the airport to your hotel. Some hotels do contract with private car services, but those could cost considerably more than taxis. If your hotel is right along the main beach road in Copacabana or Ipanema, you can take the Royal bus (makes one stop, at the downtown bus depot; on the return trip it does not stop there), otherwise, a taxi is fine. Just make sure it's a metered cab found right outside the terminal, and not a gypsy cab down the street. When you leave Customs/baggage claim, you'll see kiosks for a couple of "radio taxi" companies. These are flat rate, pre-paid taxis. The cars are basically the same as for metered taxis, but cost more. Only advantages are that you know the fare in advance and you can, I believe, pay by credit card. If you take a taxi, tips not necessarily expected but always appreciated. Do not expect taxi drivers to speak English or be able to make change from a large bill. Be sure you have Reais (local currency) before leaving the airport (at least enough for the cab ride; you can get better rates in town).

For tours, there are lots of companies for group tours and private guides. I'm sure your hotel can help you on that, but posters here will also certainly have recommendations.

You can get to Pao de Açucar easily by taxi. Once there you get in line for the gondola cars, just like everyone else. For Corcovado (Christ the Redeemer statue), you can easily take a taxi to the train at the base of the mountain (your hotel could help you on this).

I agree that you don't necessarily need a pre-arranged service to get from the airport to your hotel. snip.... Just make sure it's a metered cab found right outside the terminal, and not a gypsy cab down the street. When you leave Customs/baggage claim, you'll see kiosks for a couple of "radio taxi" companies. These are flat rate, pre-paid taxis. The cars are basically the same as for metered taxis, but cost more. Only advantages are that you know the fare in advance and you can, I believe, pay by credit card. If you take a taxi, tips not necessarily expected but always appreciated. Do not expect taxi drivers to speak English or be able to make change from a large bill. Be sure you have Reais (local currency) before leaving the airport (at least enough for the cab ride; you can get better rates in town). snip

We arrive in Rio about 8.30pm, too late for the shuttle. Can you give us some idea how much a taxi would be to Sheraton at Leblon please and how long the journey would take

Sandy in Spain

We arrive in Rio about 8.30pm, too late for the shuttle. Can you give us some idea how much a taxi would be to Sheraton at Leblon please and how long the journey would take

Sandy in Spain

About R$ 50 and 35 minutes in nonrush hour traffic.

• 3 months later...

@t60--

GIG airport to Sheraton Leblon (which actually is beyond what most think of a Leblon) is likely to be more like R$70-80 (airport to Copacabana is about R$40, Ipanema is about R$60, both if traffic is not heavy, which at 8:30 pm is likely the case), so the mentioned shuttle seems like a good deal pricewise.

@t60--

GIG airport to Sheraton Leblon (which actually is beyond what most think of a Leblon) is likely to be more like R$70-80 (airport to Copacabana is about R$40, Ipanema is about R$60, both if traffic is not heavy, which at 8:30 pm is likely the case), so the mentioned shuttle seems like a good deal pricewise.

Agree, but the shuttle has stopped running by the time we arrive in the airport, and they don´t offer a late pick up...I´ve asked. I must admit it does seem a bit strange not to provide a service for the regular late British Airways flights as there would be a lot of people wanting to get into the city, but hey, it does give the taxis some work ;-))

So if anyone wants to share a cab with us on 15th Feb 2012, BA249 flight from Heathrow we land at 21.50, please get in touch.

Sandy in Spain

...to provide a service for the regular late British Airways flights as there would be a lot of people wanting to get into the city,

"into the city" is one thing. To the Sheraton in so-called Leblon (really Sao Conrado/base of Vidigal) is another. Do you really understand the geography? This hotel is located waaaay past where most tourists stay in Copacabana and Ipanema, and past the very end of the main pedestrian/residential area in Leblon.

This map may help you understand:

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/sheraton/property/area/map.html?propertyID=255

You can pan "up" the coast past Leblon, Ipanema, Copacabana, Sugarloaf, the Flamengo/Gloria/city center neighborhoods and domestic Santos Dumont airport, past the Niteroi bridge to finally see the international airport on Governador island.

"into the city" is one thing. To the Sheraton in so-called Leblon (really Sao Conrado/base of Vidigal) is another. Do you really understand the geography? This hotel is located waaaay past where most tourists stay in Copacabana and Ipanema, and past the very end of the main pedestrian/residential area in Leblon...snip

Yes I understand where the Hotel is. However, I was making the point that the shuttle does not go into the city(or past it) as BA flight from London arrives too late for the service....unless you know different or they´ve changed the schedule since I last checked

Sandy in Spain

@t60--

I took a cab from GIG to my apt in Leblon last week. The meter on the #1 setting (daytime) was R$46.10. The ride took about 1/2 hour. As I sit here typing I can see the Sheraton outside my window. It would have cost another R$ 3 to get there instead of to my apt and maybe another 3 minutes. The evening ( 9pm - 6am), holiday, Sunday # 2 meter setting is about 15% higher than the daytime #1 setting. Cabs are entitled to charge R$ 1.50 for each large suitcase.

Curious to hear back after trip from t60 as to what actually gets paid for taxi on that route. (I often read forum reports of the "savvy"/local traveler getting an airport fare much lower than the first time tourist in Rio. "Official" rate from airport to Copacabana btw is R$38.)

@t60--My point was that volume of passenger traffic to that location might not support shuttle service at that hour.

I agree. I would rethink your hotel booking and cancel

it if you can. I looked into staying there and it has terrible

reviews, and as the poster mentioned, really is far out.

You will be paying for taxis a lot more, to get to the main

sightseeing spots. I booked a great hotel with good reviews

for much less than the Sheraton, on Copacabana beach and it

was $100. cheaper per night. The name is Windsor Martinique.

You might want to look into that.

Marilyn

I am on this cruise on a different date, but wanted to thank you for your info posted here, about getting up to Corvacoda. Middle aged woman travelling alone, so I appreciate the advice as I am worried about long line-ups and waits.

Thank you!

Marilyn

Marilyn--

May I respectfully clarify a detail about the information for Corcovado? If you take a taxi to the top, that taxi would have to wait in the parking lot up there. Everyone has to take the official van from that lot to the top. There is a charge (R$13, I believe) for the van, and a charge for entry (R$43, which does NOT vary by season) to the statue area.

Here is the official page for the sight, in English:

http://www.corcovado.com.br/index_ing.html

In the other option, the atmospheric train, with live samba band and great views, can handle several hundred passengers per hour, and usually has lines only at peak travel times (i.e. near Carnaval) for visitors to Rio.

Do have a lovely time.

Archived