Travel insurance for metastatic breast cancer

Miss Jolly

DH and I hope to take our then to be 19 DD on some extensive cruising next year. Unfortunately I was diagnosed last year with metastatic breast cancer. Despite being free from chemo for 6 months, travel insurance companies are not fond of me. Has anyone in a similar position any advice for obtaining travel insurance please? I am happy for you to email me at jenl@spin.net.au if you would prefer privacy on this matter.

I haven't had cancer but do have pre-existing conditions. In the US, where I buy insurance, I can get a policy that covers me IF I buy it within 15 days of purchasing the cruise. I cannot get this coverage from the cruise line and have to buy a private policy. On occasion, for example a carribean cruise we can drive to, we will self insure the trip but then we would buy a medical/evacuation which tends to be much less expensive that the whole luggage/cancelation/medical etc. travel insurance. It is a challenge to travel with health concerns but also so rewarding. I have no idea what insurance policies are available outside the US. Good luck.

Depending on the cruise line you're using, this might be a case where the cruise line's plan is a good option. Some, not all, will give you a credit of about 75% of your penalties if you have to cancel the trip for a reason not otherwise covered under the plan. And most are very liberal as to what they consider to be a pre-existing medical condition. Definitely check out what they have to offer (I'm assuming the cruise lines offer their coverage to Australian clients).

Another option is iTravelInsured which will insure Australians with US-type coverage. By "US-type" coverage I mean that the requirements to get coverage for pre-existing medical conditions are pretty straightforward -- no pre-qualifying by having to submit your whole health history and get underwriting approval. Their requirements for the pre-existing condition waiver are:

"This Pre-Existing Condition exclusion is waived if coverage is purchased within 14 days from the date Your initial deposit for the Covered Trip was paid to the Travel Supplier, and all Insureds are medically able to travel on the date coverage is purchased."

These plans are available at http://www.travelprotect.com/iti.php or http://www.squaremouth.com

Thank you for your kind words and advice. Unfortunately I had been told by one insurance company that they would cover me once I had been off chemo for 6 months so I waited. However, now I find out that because of my metastatic cancer, they will not cover me for anything related to the cancer. So I have missed out on them plus those companies that I am just finding out about who want you to purchase within a short time after deposit. We need insurance to cover long flights, hotels etc as well as the cruises. I had thought that cruise line insurance would just cover the cruise and not the additionals

There were a couple of companies that had "cancel for any reason", which were more expensive, but might work. I'm not sure if we're allowed to give names of insurance companies or if that is like the TA rule.

At any rate, best of luck with your treatment and happy sailing!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived