A Sunday in Valencia

swcruise

Hi all,

We will be arriving here as the 1st port of call on our RCI cruise later in August. As it is a Sunday I understand that many thing will be closed, and I would just like to get the most out of our time here, and what valencia has to offer.

From my research I understand that there is a bus from the ship to the port exit and there you can pick up the no 19 bus to the city centre, am I correct in assuming that there is no charge for this bus and it is layed on by the port authorities ?

Just looking at alternatives as well on transportation, how much is an RCI transfer to the city one way and return. Also any indicative costs on taxis would be appreciated...

We are planning on doing the HOHO trip and a walk of the old town. Does the HOHO run on a Sunday and what is the best place to pick this up ?

After the city centre we are thinking of going to walk the beach, is there any that you would recommend for this activity that are close to the city centre. Alternatively, we may go to the Oceanographic museum and sciences building, I have read that even if you don't go in you have to experience the architecture, how long should we leave to walk around and enjoy the exterior of these buildings ?

Just one final question, will we pass the Formuala one circuit on our way out or in to the port ?

FYI, we will be in port from mid-day to 8.30 pm.

Tks in advance for any pointers and suggestions....

In April we were in Valencia on Palm Sunday. We were told that most things would be closed. Nevertheless, we took the ship (HAL) transportation into the city center. It was actually very lively. We toured the cathedral and the old section (narrow alleys with shops-all open)surrounding it. There were endless cafes/restaurants open and the streets were crowded. There was an outdoor flea market and many sidewalk vendors. We had a beautiful day and found plenty to do. It is a very pretty area and we were puzzled by the "most things will be closed warning", almost thinking it was because the ship wanted to sell tours. Take the transfer into the city, you won't be disappointed.

The only thing I can think of that would be 'closed', would be the market and possibly some stores. Museums are open on Sunday in Spain (closed on Mondays). So, I think you will be able to experience a lot of Valencia, Sunday or not:)

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Just some feedback, we did the blue HOHO bus route that covered the beech, aquarium, F1 circuit, bull ring and central Valencia. We visited the cathedral and sat in the square nearby. The buses were running frequently apporx every 15 minutes. There is another red route which we didn't know at the time, you could use the same ticket and take that tour as well.

We had a very pleasant day there, would like to go back maybe someday for a weekend. We did find it hard to get a vibe as it was rather quiet with most things being shut on Sunday afternoon.

Archived