Mullet beach recently?

39august

We were at Mullet bay beach several years ago and I have questions about how it is recently. There were lots of trees behind the beach. Is that still the case? Can you rent umbrellas and chairs and how much, please? Does the bus go all the way to Mullet now or does it still turn around at the top of the hill above Maho beach? How much is the bus now, please? And am I correct that there is still a place to buy beer and food there? Any idea of beer prices?

Narrowed iut down to Mullet or Pinel?? Which one is furthest from the port (where Allure will be docked)? Which do you prefer and why?

Thanks for your advice:)

Hmm, interesting question. To get to Pinel island you first must get to the Cul de Sac and then board a ferry to take you the 5 minutes or so over to Pinel island. It would take more time to drive to Mullet then to drive to the Cul de Sac but from there you have to take the ferry over to the island. So I would have to say that in the end I think that you would be in a lounger at Mullet before you would be in a lounger at Pinel.

They are both outstanding beaches and wonderful choices for a beach day on St. Martin. Your questions are very good but not easily answered IMHO. Several cruisers have posted about issues getting taxis back from the Cul de Sac, even after asking their original driver to come back and get them at a set time. (some people will tell you to pay the driver on the return trip but I am not so sure that all driver's would be willing to do this) Some of these cruisers felt stranded at the Cul de Sac when drivers did not come back for them and they had to ask someone to call them a taxi. Although there is not usually taxis at Mullet either it is very close to the Maho Entertainment district and to Maho beach so by walking 5-10 minutes you would be able to catch a taxi to take you back to town or to the ship.

One thing to keep in mind, especially if you are planning to spend the whole day at the beach, is that Mullet Bay has deplorable restrooms.

Karysa- Do you know the cost of umbrella and lounges at Mullet? Last time we were there several years ago, we climbed up the hill to the big yellow hotel and caught a bus back to Phillipsburg from there. There were no taxis at the hotel and I thoght that was odd.

Karysa- Do you know the cost of umbrella and lounges at Mullet? Last time we were there several years ago, we climbed up the hill to the big yellow hotel and caught a bus back to Phillipsburg from there. There were no taxis at the hotel and I thoght that was odd.

Sorry, I didn't answer your original question because I don't know the answers. From what I remember reading there is no bus stop directly at Mullet and I have never seen a bus at or near the parking lot. I would think that the best place to catch a taxi would be to walk over to the entertainment district at Maho and if there isn't one there they should be able to call you one from one of the restaurants or stores. I went to Mullet a few weeks ago but we only stayed about 30 minutes so we just put our stuff by the rocks. We went beach hoping that day so there was no time for lounging.:) Hopefully someone else can help you out.

We were at Mullet bay beach several years ago and I have questions about how it is recently. There were lots of trees behind the beach. Is that still the case? Can you rent umbrellas and chairs and how much, please? Does the bus go all the way to Mullet now or does it still turn around at the top of the hill above Maho beach? How much is the bus now, please? And am I correct that there is still a place to buy beer and food there? Any idea of beer prices?

I can't be too much help but here's what I remember. We were there in May 2010. Really, really, really enjoyed this beach day. The cab driver who dropped us off was worried we wouldn't get picked up. He wasn't able to pick us up because he had a tour to do. So he stopped at a hotel along the way and asked someone there if they would please come get as at a pre-arranged time. The problem with that beach is the traffic, which can be really bad to and fro cruise ship arrival and departure times. We allowed plenty of time and still got quite nervous when we saw no cabbie. We finally asked the guys at the little restaurant (shack-like) if they would call someone for us. They did, but finally - we saw two girls getting into a van and they were headed to the cruise port. The cabbie offered to take us too. As we were driving our way out, we saw the guy coming to get us, he passed right by us - we had only been in the van about 5 mins but he was about 25 mins late and we got worried. He DID come back to get us, but the traffic was bad and he was late. So we hopped another ride. The whole thing was a bit nerve-wracking and I probably won't go back there for that very same reason again.

Beer was not cheap, don't recall the price. I think we paid $20 for two loungers and an umbrella. We ate some of the bbq chicken that the guys were cooking at the shack, that was fun. Was kind of like being at a beach bbq. Food was decent, guys running the shack were really nice. Was a fun way to spend the day with a real local flavor.

Last time I was in St Maarten - we bought a day pass at the Westin, enjoyed their lovely swimming pool. Water was rough at that beach though, not good ocean swimming.

Good luck, hope all that helps.

There are lots of trees at Mullet Bay Beach, and you can rent chairs and umbrellas from a couple of vendors. Rosie's sells food and beer at reasonable prices, but I can't quote a current price for anything.

th_DSCN1228.jpg

(click)

Look for a bus that says 'Mullet' or 'M'Bay' or 'Mlt Bay' or such. If it says 'Maho' they may want to turn around at the hotels, but would probably continue on to the beach for a few dollars. The bus should be $2 from downtown, but gas prices went up today and that may change soon.

You mention 'The Hill' a couple of times, but there isn't a hill anywhere near Maho or Mullet Bay that the bus would go by????

gary

Archived