Is this a safe/nice area - Via dei Giubbonari in Campo dei Fiori area

World Gallery

We have found an apartment we think would work for us but can't figure out what the overall area is like. I tried searching several ways but only get this - Via dei Giubbonari, only a few steps from Campo dei Fiori in a building dating back to Medieval times.

Does anyone know about this area? Is it safe, close to main attractions? Quiet or noisy?

Thanks.

We have found an apartment we think would work for us but can't figure out what the overall area is like. I tried searching several ways but only get this - Via dei Giubbonari, only a few steps from Campo dei Fiori in a building dating back to Medieval times.

Does anyone know about this area? Is it safe, close to main attractions? Quiet or noisy?

Thanks.

I'm thinking this is in Rome. Is that correct? :)

Campo dei Fiori is a very nice area to base yourselves. It's convenient to a lot of the sites in historic Rome, close to Piazza Navona and the Pantheon (lots of restaurants), and not far from a bus hub at Largo Argentina should you need transportation.

As to how busy/quiet it is, much would depend on the specific location of the apartment (where it faces, how soundproofed the windows are, etc).

If you head to Trip Advisor or directly to Expedia, do a search for A Via dei Giubbonari 23. This is the name/address of a small hotel apparently on the same street as the apartment you've located. Click on the link to "Map this hotel" so you can get a sense of where this is located within the city.

If you click on the plus you'll get a closer view and more of the attractions will begin to appear by name on the map. You'll be pleased with what you find.

Incidentally, Largo Argentina is not only a modern-day transportation hub, it's also the historically accurate site of the assassination of Julius Caesar. The Theater of Pompey stood where the Largo stands now.

I assume Shakespeare's play JULIUS CAESAR introduced the mistake into our information about Caesar's murder. Still, the mistake lives on. When you visit the Forum, you'll hear some guides claim Caesar was murdered there and an equal number saying, "Pay no attention to what you learned from Shakespeare." I've shared this since I think your kids might enjoy debunking the "facts" about Caesar's assassination.

Via Guibbonari is absolutely a safe area, we have stayed in an apartment there five times over the last six year or so for one to two week periods.

As cruisemom42 indicated it is centrally located within convenient walking distance to the majority of sites in Rome and with Largo Argentina a short walk away you have access to buses, taxis and the tram that runs into Trastevere.

It can be noisy at night with foot traffic from the Campo. With bedroom windows closed or to the rear of the apartment this noise is rarely noticeable.

I know exactly the street you are talking about. It is very central so in that sense it's ideal; but it's also a kind of "happening" place so it can be noisy. I definitely wouldn't want to stay there if it's on the ground floor! But if it's high up, it sounds like a good place to base yourselves.

Here is the link for the apartments we have rented: www.residenzagiubbonari.com. These rentals start on the primo piano (our second floor), third floor and two top floor apartments, the yellow apartment has two terraces and the pink has one, both provide fantastic views. The foot traffic on Giubbonari echos off the buildings and is noisy and there can be noise from late night revelers coming from the Campo dei Fiori. Some of the apartments have bedrooms toward the back and for those that don't, with the windows closed and air conditioning on at night the noise level is minimal.

I know exactly the street you are talking about. It is very central so in that sense it's ideal; but it's also a kind of "happening" place so it can be noisy. I definitely wouldn't want to stay there if it's on the ground floor! But if it's high up, it sounds like a good place to base yourselves.

Agreed. We roamed this area extensively during our visit in May (we were staying in an apartment on Via Giulia). The street is lined with small shops and a few restaurants. Very lively during the day, perhaps a bit less so at night, but overall a very good area to stay in, I think.

There's a "typical" family run pizzeria at 33 Via dei Giubbonari that we used. Pretty good Neapolitan-style Pizza Buffalina there, and a wonderful homemade tiramisu.

Here's a link to Google Street View of the area.

Archived