Romeinlimo or Context Travel with older kids?

World Gallery

I think we have narrowed it down to one of these two tour companies - Romeinlimo or Context Travel. They both have tours geared toward kids, which I was very happy to see. My kids will be 11, 13, 14, 15, and 18. I want them to enjoy the tours and sites while learning but I know there is a fine line when touring day after day with kids. Everything starts running together and they can't even remember what was where or what it was all about.

Is one better than another in regards to reaching kids/teens? Any particular tour that you took with either that really stands out? Any tour hands on and different from all the rest?

The reason I want to stick to one company is because you get a discount if you book more than one tour. RomeinLimo has many tour in Rome and then two other Italian ports so that discount will add up.

Thanks

I'm going to recommend that you re-read the tour descriptions of both Rome in Limo and Context Travel and make up your own mind for this question. In your place, I wouldn't listen to anyone who offers an opinion without having taken family tours from both companies. I'm really not trying to be uncooperative. Many posters, including me, have responded to virtually every question you've posed with what I perceive to be useful information. This time, the question seems different. Above all, we don't know your kids. And unless someone has used both companies for family tours, I don't see how anyone can make a meaningful recommendation.

When I read each company's description, I see both have a commitment to a positive experience for all ages. Beyond that, the companies are quite different. One company includes trained guides as part of its program and drivers/cars are extra. The other company includes drivers/cars as part of its program and guides are extra. This might tell you a bit about each company's main priority. If you don't pay for the extra services of each company, which will be more important to your children? Child-focused guides or private, convenient transportation?

One company offers both survey tours and more focused tours. The other company offers a choice between two survey tours. Are any of the focused tours a place you think your children will enjoy particularly? If so, you should head in that company's direction. If you're interested in a survey tour, both companies offer that.

I started off recommending that you carefully read each company's web site. Maybe you should ask your kids to do this too and ask them how they respond to each of the descriptions.

We LOVED Romeinlimo with our kids. We took a BIG group in 2009 for my daughters Make A Wish trip and everyone had such a great time. I think you'll find MANY recommendations for Romeinlimo for tours that have been with kids of all ages.

Enjoy! And you can't go wrong with Romeinlimo:)

We used RIL for 3 ports, Naples, Livorno for Florence/Pisa, and of course finally Rome.

We had 3 generations; kids from 8-12, us old parents, and parents parents.

Tours with RIL are what you make of them. Determine what sites you want and how much time you want to spend at each. I did a lot of planning but in the end just went with their suggestions for the day, worked out great, hit all the major sites. Kids are always a challenge, only you know your kids and can decide what will work.

Since its "Private" you decide and can adjust as you need. We thought RIL worked great, and we'd use them again.

I know a family that used Context in Pompeii, and they were very unhappy with their tour, which much have cost them a fortune. They had two boys, 11-ish, who were very enthusiastic about ancient ruins, but the guide spent the entire time talking to the husband and ignoring the wife and boys. They told me that a private car met them at the train station and drove them to the site, which took about a half-hour, and the guide sat the whole time in the front seat and didn't say one word to them! They had to ask her, "is that Mount Vesuvius?" because she didn't even mention it when they drove right by! They are not hyper-critical people in general, so I tend to value their opinion... :(

I know a family that used Context in Pompeii, and they were very unhappy with their tour, which much have cost them a fortune. They had two boys, 11-ish, who were very enthusiastic about ancient ruins, but the guide spent the entire time talking to the husband and ignoring the wife and boys. They told me that a private car met them at the train station and drove them to the site, which took about a half-hour, and the guide sat the whole time in the front seat and didn't say one word to them! They had to ask her, "is that Mount Vesuvius?" because she didn't even mention it when they drove right by! They are not hyper-critical people in general, so I tend to value their opinion... :(

Ask your friends if the guide was Iris? I'm a big cheerleader for Context Travel tours, having taken at least 20 over the years, but I won't defend Iris. I found our tour of Pompeii with her to be the least engaging of any Context Travel tour I've ever taken. She just dialed in her guiding although we learned a lot. For two adults, who are history obsessed, this was disappointing but not a disaster. With kids I can see the situation in a very different light.

Now, this begs the question, "Why does a quality company like Context Travel use this guide, especially for family groups?" I won't even try to answer that. However, I will say that Maria Laura Chiacchio, another Naples guide provided our most incredible, responsive, and personalized tour ever at the Capodimonte Museum. I know she guides in Pompeii. She is the Director of Education at the Capodimonte Art Museum in Naples so she combines art/history expertise with skills educating students.

My husband and I had no children with us when we toured with Maria Laura, but he has very limited vision so tours of art in museums can be a problem. Touring with Maria Laura we saw her teaching skills and patience at work. She found a way to find things in a painting that my husband could see and to use those as clues to understand what she wanted us to understand about the art.

Maria Squillante is a very warm person who would be a close second in Naples, but Maria Laura absolutely sets the standard.

I have no financial stake in which tour company anyone uses! I just wanted to offer a different point of view based on personal experience.

As I've only ever taken Context's regular (adult) tours, and never taken any with Rome in Limo, I'm not sure how helpful my insights will be, but as a mom I feel compelled to voice them.

Count me as another big fan of Context tours. However, you may have noticed from other posts of mine that I have more than a passing interest when it comes to ancient history and verge upon the absolutely geeky when it comes to ancient Rome in particular.

I've recommended Context many times, but their focus is a more serious one. I'm not sure how they adapt that for children, but I'd have to assume they are not completely different. Given my own experiences with them, I'm not sure an average child less than 14 would fully appreciate the experience. If you have a budding classicist or archaeologist amongst your kids, it may be a different story.

Given what I've read about RIL's tours and the positive feedback they get from family groups, I'd have to say that in this circumstance they really would be a strong contender.

I'm not sure when you are traveling, however, our family will be taking a Vatican tour with Context Travel on August 6th. I will be happy to post my impressions or answer any questions after we return home on the 19th. Our daughters are 14 and 8. We are taking a Rome in Limo tour in Pompeii, however, I decided to book Context for the Vatican tour because I want the expertise of a docent while visiting there. The fact that they have a family program sealed the deal for me. My daughters may well return to the Vatican when they are older but for me this Vatican experience is probably once in a lifetime. I expect that even if I happen to be in Rome again that I won't choose to visit the Vatican again so I want to make sure I do it right the first time. But as I said if you haven't made your decision prior to our return then I would be happy to relate our experience.

Lisa

Thanks to everyone! These are very helpful insights and is what I was looking for.

From past experiences with travel in general, the guide can make or break the tour. This I have learned!

I did just receive an email back from Context travel that states, "When booking, please let us know as much as possible about each member in your party, in terms of personality and interests. This will help us to match you with the right docents."

I have never had a tour company ask for this before so this is reassuring. I guess I can also request not to get Iris as a guide.

I am a former social studies teacher that use to teach ancient history to sixth graders so I do have high standards for a guide. In regards to my kids, they do have decent attention spans for kids/teens their age and they are showing a lot of interest in this trip.

Any other insights are appreciated!

img1230 - forgot to mention our trip date. It is not until early June of 2012 but I would love to get the main components of this trip completed. It is so overwhelming compared to any other trip I have planned!

I would love to hear back from you after your trip.

• 3 weeks later...

Just returned last night from our cruise. We had our tour of the Vatican with Context Travel in Rome prior to the cruise. We could not have possibly been happier with our guide and our tour. Our guide, Daniela Fraioli, was wonderful!! Our daughters are 14 and 8 and Daniela did an amazing job of keeping everyone engaged in the tour. She is a very knowledeable guide and I felt that I learned so much on the tour. At the same time she was able to explain the history of the Vatican to my 8 year old (Emma) in a way that she could understand. Daniela also realized very quickly that Emma was very interested in Greek/Roman mythology and pointed out the artwork that featured gods and other mythological creatures which helped maintain her attention. Daniela told us that it was very unusual to have an 8 year old stay engaged in the entire 3 hours of the tour and I think that she deserves the credit for that.

Visiting the Vatican and St. Peter's Basilica was an amazing experience. I'm neither Catholic nor particularly religious but I found the beauty of the Sistine Chapel and St. Peter's Basilica overwhelming to the point of bringing tears to my eyes. I'm so happy that we chose to tour with Context and had a guide that enhanced this experience to the extent that she did. If you have any questions, I would be happy to try and answer.

Lisa

Archived