Sand Fleas/Concerned about child building sand castles, etc.

tripchick

I've been reading about how horrible the sand fleas are in Roatan. I know we need to use Deet or other similar products. However, I can't see how Roatan would be a good beach day for our 3 1/2 y/o who would want only to sit, roll around and play in the sand. I fear the rest of our trip being BAD from sand fleas. She's NOT into monkeys or other animals. They would terrify her. She's in this stage where animals scare her now. Sigh. I'm thinking about making this a day for her to stay ON the boat and then for me and my hubby to do something. Suggestions???? Would I letting her sit and dig in the sand at Tabyana beach or any of the West Bay beaches?

This was brought up a few months ago. Someone had went to the beach and although they didn't (and you can't) see the sand fleas, they came back with round bite marks on them.

People were suggesting you buy a product that you rub on the skin and it will keep them away AND has uv protection as well. It's good to use on children (where you should not be using anything with deet in it on children). It was called prickly pear cactus juice. You can buy it directly from the manufacturer online or off amazon. I bought some and intend on using it on our upcoming cruise next month.

Sand fleas on Roatan vary depending on the weather. In the dryer summer months they are not that bad, in the winter more wet months they are bad. Usually just using off will keep them at bay. West Bay beach is sprayed for sand fleas so they are not that bad there. The local use a product called Cactus Juice, some people use baby oil, some use off. West Bay Beach is beautiful and you would regret just staying on the boat and not going there. Hope that helps

First these aren't FLEAS, they are FLIES (no see ums). West Bay, West End, Sandy Bay resorts, Parrot Tree Plantation (Fantasy Island excursion) and Mahognay Bay CC do rake their sand daily. As proxy said, they are more prevalent in cooler months. Love the shade. Cactus Juice spray with some sun screen or a bug wipe with deet or Bite Blocker for Kids will work jus tfine to protect you.

• 2 weeks later...

All I can tell you is that one year I gotten eaten alive in Cozumel! Had more than 100 bites!! The remainder of the cruise was ruined for me. Could not even sleep at night for the horrible itching. I tried everything with no relief-benadryl, calamine lotion, oatmeal baths, aloe gel, antibiotic ointment, even clear fingernail polish. Finally on a website of a dive shop in Honduras I found a recommendation to cut a papaya and take some of the slimy substance around the seed and rub it on the bites. While it was messy, it did work to stop the itching for about 5 hours each application. At least it enabled me to get a little sleep.

Then on another cruise, I got several bites in Roatan (not as bad because I had used insect repellant once but then went in the water and did not reapply--THAT won't happen again!).

If she was my child, there is NO WAY I would take her to the beach without using a good repellant! And reapply frequently--especially if she plays in the water.

Archived