POA: Fast one? ROLLAWAY BEDS in SUITE instead of Pullout Couch

jordans mom

We got a call about subsitutuing rollaway beds for pullout couch.

Got some story that the "new furniture" had not arrived.

See that is happening on some other ships.

Sounds like a bait and switch to me....paid for a pullout and get a rollaway?

I am a multi time NCL cruiser - but this is really teeing me off.

Anyone have any thoughts?

I am annoyed about the "switch" - but also concerned about the safety of a "rollaway" on a cruise ship??? What happens in rough seas nites?

I have been on board when there have been rough seas on other NCL sailings - and its bad enough in a bolted down bed.

I love it when people use a term like "bait and switch" in this context.

Bait and switch is an intentional attempt to deceive and defraud by advertising something that is not available in order to entice you to pay more for something that is offered instead of the advertised item.

Annoyed by it...yes I can understand that...but do you really think they were intentionally attempting to deceive you? Do you think they want to get their customers angry?

I love it when people use a term like "bait and switch" in this context.

Bait and switch is an intentional attempt to deceive and defraud by advertising something that is not available in order to entice you to pay more for something that is offered instead of the advertised item.

Annoyed by it...yes I can understand that...but do you really think they were intentionally attempting to deceive you? Do you think they want to get their customers angry?

I expect a company to plan correctly and price accordingly. They have an obligation to be CLEAR on what is available at time of purchase and what is not.

In this case,NCL was not clear,

as a matter of fact - we asked SPECIFICALLY about that 3rd person sleeping accommodation.

We were not told: maybe

we were not told: that NCL had discretion to change the cabin configuration we had purchased

Call it what you want -

If I am told one thing when I purchase something and a short time before I get it - I get told its changed and tough tutties.....

if it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck...... you seem like you might know the rest

I am annoyed about the "switch" - but also concerned about the safety of a "rollaway" on a cruise ship??? What happens in rough seas nites?

I have been on board when there have been rough seas on other NCL sailings - and its bad enough in a bolted down bed.

I think you will find the roll away beds a lot more comfortable than the pullout would have been. From what I've read the cabin steward removes them during the day if you want...just ask. I don't think there's very much room for these roll away beds to move once they're set up in the cabin.

I've ordered "special order" furniture quite a few times and have been stuck waiting 3 times longer than they promised me it would arrive...and this is with a local company. Consider NCL has to have the furniture shipped to several ports and delivered on specific dates, which could add time to their expected/promised delivery dates.

I for one am happy NCL is allowing 3 people in these suites now, for years they would only allow you to book 2 people in these cabins.

Ship happens.....enjoy your cruise!

I expect a company to plan correctly and price accordingly. They have an obligation to be CLEAR on what is available at time of purchase and what is not.

In this case,NCL was not clear,

as a matter of fact - we asked SPECIFICALLY about that 3rd person sleeping accommodation.

We were not told: maybe

we were not told: that NCL had discretion to change the cabin configuration we had purchased

Call it what you want -

If I am told one thing when I purchase something and a short time before I get it - I get told its changed and tough tutties.....

if it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck...... you seem like you might know the rest

You don't get it. They expected the furniture to be delivered from the manufacturer by a certain date but apparently it wasn't. That hardly constitutes "bait and switch", or anything else for that matter other than what it was...the stuff didn't arrive from the manufacturer. It's not something that's even in NCL's control. The furniture isn't manufactured by trolls, or even by ducks, working in the basement of NCL's headquarters in Miami.

I suppose you'll also blame them if they have to miss a port call due to weather or some other circumstance out of their control.

Lots of things in life, both big and small, don't go perfectly or as you would like them to. As they say, into every life a little rain must fall. Ducks know how to handle it...the water just rolls off their back.

I think you will find the roll away beds a lot more comfortable than the pullout would have been.

I got stuck on the pull out couch on a Seattle/northwest passage cruise and it was awful. Sheets did not stay in place and it sunk in the middle. My back was killing me at the end of the cruise. Also I've never heard they bolt down the beds? They can put them together as one bed or seperate them into twins. Hope you enjoy your cruise no matter what.;)

Unbelievable! :D What is to say the rollaway is not bigger and more comfortable than the pullout? You should be glad you were able to book the extra people in the suite to begin with. What exactly do you think the beds are bolded to since they can switch them back and forth from two to one bed?

You don't get it. They expected the furniture to be delivered from the manufacturer by a certain date but apparently it wasn't. That hardly constitutes "bait and switch", or anything else for that matter other than what it was...the stuff didn't arrive from the manufacturer. It's not something that's even in NCL's control. The furniture isn't manufactured by trolls, or even by ducks, working in the basement of NCL's headquarters in Miami.

I suppose you'll also blame them if they have to miss a port call due to weather or some other circumstance out of their control.

Lots of things in life, both big and small, don't go perfectly or as you would like them to. As they say, into every life a little rain must fall. Ducks know how to handle it...the water just rolls off their back.

Look NJ

I don't need a LECTURE - altho it seems your are prone to them

YES - things happen

BUT if a responsible company knows they have a contingency - they need to be CLEAR ABOUT it -

I have bought many things in my life - big and small -

GOOD PRACTICE dictates that if there is a CHANCE that something in a sellers supply chain on a major purchase is out of their control

- GOOD mgmt practice and customer service is to CLEARLY ADVISE them UPFRONT at point of sale - - :

"We are offering you this <option> - however, please note that the current <room> is not configured this way, but we hope to have this at the time of your <sailing/delivery>. If we are made aware of a delay we will notify you immediately and allow you to < change item/date/etc...>

I am not even going to respond to your dopey dime store comment about missing ports - have been on too many cruises to count and will leave it at that

Usually once opened, a rollaway bed doesn't "roll" anymore.

Thanks Darren .

I got a call back from NCL - they are working hard to understand my concerns today and have given me some more information and ideas to work with as well

I was happy they called me back with things to consider since their call yesterday

I believe this will get worked out after all

Appreciate your info! I have been in high seas on a bolted bed ... I can't imagine what a rollaway does! :confused:

Unbelievable! :D What is to say the rollaway is not bigger and more comfortable than the pullout? You should be glad you were able to book the extra people in the suite to begin with. What exactly do you think the beds are bolded to since they can switch them back and forth from two to one bed?

Peg: In the suite the master beds are bolted to wall

as to "being glad about extra person"

had they not offered a 3rd person option - I would have chosen something else or another cruise..... and therin lies the rub.....N'EST-CE PAS?

OP, this would not bother me, truly. For years many suites were only available to two pax. You are able to book three pax and NCL is providing you sleeping arangments for the third. If you do not think the current arrangement is acceptable to you maybe you could split up? But I would rather have three in a cabin, in any configuration and receive the suite perks than split up and possibly lose them.

I really think you are being too hard on NCL. I do not think they did anything intentionally or try and mislead you. In fact you state they called you to explain the substitution, this was IMHO a nice gesture. They did not just leave you in the dark to find out about the substitution when you boarded. I am sure they wish the conversion was in place too and that you were getting what you booked. I hope you can accept this hiccup and go have a wonderful cruise! I would love to get out of this Texas heat (110 today) and be in a suite on NCL, I would gladly sleep on the floor if I could have breakfast in Cagney's.

NCL called a few minutes ago.

The problem is resolved at their end! YAHHHH ! :D

I was extremely disappointed when I got the call and had really hoped they would come up with a way to resolve this unexpected glitch in service.

I was worried there for a few days that this wasn't my "moms" NCL anymore...

boy was I wrong! :(

THANKS NCL !

I am once again happily DREAMING about my Hawaiian adventure !

We loved Alaska and all the Caribbean sailings we have been on.... and this is a big one for us coming all the way from the East Coast!

Mahalo nui loa!!!! :D

Based on the sofa bed my adult niece had to sleep on during our last cruise, a so-called rollaway bed would have been a welcomed change!

Glad to hear things have been resolved to your satisfaction. Enjoy your trip!

I'm curious about all the comments about how uncomfortable the sofa beds are. On the Jewel (2 bedroom suite) we had a sofa that converted to a single bed in the living room and it was extremely comfortable--wonderful actually. The pullout sofa in the smaller bedroom was not great--but asked for an egg crate and two college girls slept quite well. Were these perhaps older sofa beds that folks are referring to? Are they the sofa beds in the mini suites?

I have always encouraged people regarding how comfortable the sofa beds are and now I want to be careful and not steer folks the wrong way.

I'm curious about all the comments about how uncomfortable the sofa beds are. On the Jewel (2 bedroom suite) we had a sofa that converted to a single bed in the living room and it was extremely comfortable--wonderful actually. The pullout sofa in the smaller bedroom was not great--but asked for an egg crate and two college girls slept quite well. Were these perhaps older sofa beds that folks are referring to? Are they the sofa beds in the mini suites?

I have always encouraged people regarding how comfortable the sofa beds are and now I want to be careful and not steer folks the wrong way.

We had a mini suite on the Pearl and the sofa bed was one of those kind that is more like a futon. You just pull on one side and it unfolds. And it was very comfy - I was totally impressed.

The sofa in our family suite on the Star was a hide-a-bed kind of sofa and it was miserably uncomfortable. Strangely enough we were only the 3rd group to use that suite, so I would have assumed that the sofa was brand new. It looked like it. It was very comfy to sit on as a sofa and I even napped on it while it was still up as a sofa, not made into a bed. But after listening to my niece complain about it I tried it for myself and she was right. It was lumpy and you could feel the springs (or whatever they are) under the mattress. I've always said I could sleep just about anywhere, anytime. But I had to change my tune after feeling that bed!

We have a suite booked for the 9/10/11 POA and wanted to make use of the pull out couch for sleeping arrangements. If a rollaway bed is now needed, is there someone (concierge, hotel manager, ???) ahead of time to make sure we have the use of the rollaway?:confused:

We have a suite booked for the 9/10/11 POA and wanted to make use of the pull out couch for sleeping arrangements. If a rollaway bed is now needed, is there someone (concierge, hotel manager, ???) ahead of time to make sure we have the use of the rollaway?:confused:

My advice would be to check with NCL if you are concerned.

Looks like for the 8/27 sailing they now think the new furniture will be ready and no need for rollaways

But check if you are still concerned

My advice would be to check with NCL if you are concerned.

Looks like for the 8/27 sailing they now think the new furniture will be ready and no need for rollaways

But check if you are still concerned

Are you booked in an Owner's Suite?

I'll be interested to hear about your experience in a suite on the POA since we cruise 2 weeks after you. There's not too much info from cc'ers about the suites.

Having done that cruise, I don't really know why they even have suites on the ship. Almost all travel is done at night, you spend two days in most ports and unless you take a down day (aka "sea day") you will spend most of your time exploring the islands and doing lots of fun things. You come back to the ship, eat dinner, do a bit of clubbing and go to bed - repeat for every day. Now the last day where you cruise along the Napoli Coast it is nice to have a Port balcony or suite. As for the furniture, I am sure that it has changed since 2005 when we sailed but I remember the beds being quite nice - I don't remember if the sofas made into beds or not - there was only two of us.

Are you booked in an Owner's Suite?

I'll be interested to hear about your experience in a suite on the POA since we cruise 2 weeks after you. There's not too much info from cc'ers about the suites.

Yes - we had a great suite experience to Bermuda last year

(1st time to Bermuda)

I will keep good notes !!! :D

Aaah, yes...we go from angry accusations of bait and switch to all smiles in a mere 18 hours...:rolleyes:

You know what

If you have nothing productive to add to a discussion

why are you trolling around here trying to aggravate?

forget it - don't answer cause I can guess why..

sad

Archived