Please help on choosing a cruise!

Mare10

A girlfriend and I are trying to plan a cruise to Alaska in June 2012. We've narrowed it down to the Holland America ship, Volendam, going round trip out of Vancouver (Inland Passage) or the Celebrity ship, Millenium, Southbound from Seward to Vancouver.

Could some of you experienced cruisers offer your opinions please? It seems like the one way cruise is less expensive but the airfare of course is more. We would enjoy the train trip from Anchorage to Seward but unfortunately don't have the time for a land trip ahead of time.

I'm also assuming if we do the round trip cruise we should fly in and out of Seattle and take a shuttle to Vancouver.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Marilyn

I would choose Holland America because Celebrity does not go to Glacier Bay. Just returned from Zuiderdam which I believe does the same itinerary as Volendam. Service onboard and the condition of the ship were not up to the normal Holland America standard. For these reasons, next year we will be doing a Princess Southbound. The Princess itinerary includes both Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay. The Diamond, Coral, and Island do the Northbound/Southbound itinerary. I would never choose an Alaskan itinerary that did not include Glacier Bay.

One way is better IMHO with one less sailing day and more scenic cruising.

Roundtrip of course saves you some on airfare.

I'd pick which ever gets Glacier Bay than decide one way our round trip out of the ships that make your cut.

A girlfriend and I are trying to plan a cruise to Alaska in June 2012. We've narrowed it down to the Holland America ship, Volendam, going round trip out of Vancouver (Inland Passage) or the Celebrity ship, Millenium, Southbound from Seward to Vancouver.

Could some of you experienced cruisers offer your opinions please? It seems like the one way cruise is less expensive but the airfare of course is more. We would enjoy the train trip from Anchorage to Seward but unfortunately don't have the time for a land trip ahead of time.

I'm also assuming if we do the round trip cruise we should fly in and out of Seattle and take a shuttle to Vancouver.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Marilyn

One way is better IMHO with one less sailing day and more scenic cruising.

QUOTE]

Both cruises are 7 days, and many times the one ways, don't do more scenic sailing, compared to round trip Vancouver, but go stright across the gulf- open ocean. Few cruises now do coastal.

It isn't a simple answer. Both have their positives. To better detail the selection, perhaps, look at the ports and how you are going to occupy your time. Compare time in ports. Read up and look at photos of glaciers. I've sailed all the glacier routes of the Alaska cruiseships, and enjoy each and every one. Determine what it is you wish to experience. Certainly Glacier Bay is a highlight.

Costs, if there are any differences, that will impact touring choices.

Since you state the Alaska RR is of interest, you may want to look further at this. I would strongly suggest you look at adding some time if at all possible. Even another day or two, would allow you to take advantage of some excellent touring opportunities. In my opinion, it is hardly worth the expense to just take the Alaska RR, then leave. :)

I was on the Milli this year and I've sailed HAL in Alaska as well. I do give an edge to HAL.

I give my vote also to Glacier Bay. On our recent Zuiderdam cruise it was a beautiful sunny day and our favorite day for scenery. Our last Alaska cruise, in 2007 on the Infinity went to the Hubbard Glacier, but we couldn`t even get close due to the ice in the water. I never knew what we were missing until we came within a few miles of the Margerie Glacier while cruising Glacier Bay this time! It is an awesome sight, and if you are lucky like we were, will be able to hear the huge roar from the glacier calving that you can see up close!

Thank you all for the good advice. Budget Queen... it was so nice to get your opinions too! My hubby and I took our first cruise to Alaska in June and you helped a great deal throughout the planning for that one.

We did the 7 day inland passage out of Seattle on the Golden Princess. Had a fantastic time and am anxious to return to Alaska! This time it should be fun to try a different cruise line and itinerary. I'm going with a dear friend and we're very excited!

Marilyn

Thought I would chime in here and give my opinion. I sailed on a north bound sailing on the Holland America Zaandam in June and have plans to go again next year.

I originally planned to go with Princess out of Seattle, but the more I though about it I really wanted to do a one way again because of the longer port time. I did a bit of research and decided on a southbound Celebrity Millennium cruise in July because it also stops in Icy Straits (4th port) and it's the only ship in port in both Skagway and Juneau and there is only one other ship in port in Ketchikan. The number of ships in port was very important to me as there can be 4 or 5 and I'm sure get very crowded!

On my June cruise we had a beautiful day touring Glacier Bay, but we also saw College Fjord and I was much more impressed. I guess I'm the only one that wasn't that impressed by Glacier Bay! Just my thoughts.

You aren't alone, gd. While we enjoyed GB and thought it was lovely, we're big fans of the mighty Hubbard Glacier, and would rather sail there than GB. So huge and so majestic! I do agree that for first timers, Glacier Bay gives them quite an experience with numerous glaciers. I just find that Hubbard's massive face and calving opportunities trump GB everytime for the "WOW" factor. Either way, going to Alaska is truly a magical experience - whichever glacier viewing opportunity you are treated to.

You may want to consider a RT out of Vancouver? You can still travel in and out of Seattle and just utilize the train or a shuttle between Vancouver and Seattle. We really loved the train ride :)

I would agree that Hubbard Glacier is bigger but to me the whole experience of sailing in Glacier Bay is just awesome. We always see a lot of marine life in area surrounding the entrance and on our last trip a humpback and calf swimming right off the side of the ship. Absolutely incredible :D

You may want to consider a RT out of Vancouver? You can still travel in and out of Seattle and just utilize the train or a shuttle between Vancouver and Seattle. We really loved the train ride :)

I would agree that Hubbard Glacier is bigger but to me the whole experience of sailing in Glacier Bay is just awesome. We always see a lot of marine life in area surrounding the entrance and on our last trip a humpback and calf swimming right off the side of the ship. Absolutely incredible :D

In my opinion, I too, think a round trip Vancouver sailing with HAL is one of the most well organized itineraries, jam packed with scenery. Excellent all the way around. :)

Archived