Deciding between 3 tubing companies!!!!!!

pepcab

We used VIV last week and it was incredible! I highly recommend them. Kareem was our driver and guide. He was knowledgeable, worked very hard and was always smiling. He really seemed to be enjoying himself too, which makes a huge difference to me. The tubes are comfortable, with a head rest and mesh bottom, and linked together, no feet to armpits. Some stated concerns about safety and paddling, but no worries at all. We never had to paddle; Kareem did all of the work for us. Never had a problem running into walls. Water was fairly high, so we only had two short "butts up" times which weren't bad.

Kareem told us that nobody has missed the tender in 12 years, among any of the operators. I believe him because otherwise you would read all about it on these boards. So I wouldn't worry about that for any reputable operator. I do recommend getting off the ship early. The earlier the group is ready, the earlier they will leave and the earlier you will get back. We had an hour to spare. You can also beat some of the crowds.

We did not zipline, but Kareem said that if you zipline they only do one cave instead of two for the tubing so you can make it back in time. Kareem said most operators just do the two caves anymore because they are the safest. In the other caves it is possible for the water levels to rise very quickly. For the person with a group of 8, it is possible that no one else would be put with you. The park rules are 1 guide per 8 people. VIV (when we were there) kept each group smaller than 8. Other groups had 16 linked together (by feet) with two guides. I liked our way better.

Let me know if anyone has other questions about them. I had high hopes for this tour, but it far exceeded my expectations.

I forgot to ask - was lunch included (I do believe it was stated that it was)? How was the lunch that was provided? thanks.

Since the water was high, did your group avoid the "butts up" moments?

There were a couple of times he said that we should "butts up" because of some rocks there could be a little "uncomfortable" in "areas", but we never seen any that seemed close enough to hit because of the water. Although we didn't take the chance. He explained to us where the water was running and you could see white in it, that meant there was something under the water causing the white flow and that he would avoid those areas for safety with the "butts up". :)

The caves are not small at all. They are VERY wide. They do get dark in some places. However, everyone has their headlights on their helmets on, so you can see all the groups. Our tour guide did tell everyone he wanted to show us just how pitch black it really is in the caves without lights and told everyone to turn their lights out and try to see their hand in front of their face (you couldn't). However, if you have a problem with it, I'm sure you could warn him ahead of time and not do that. However, even when we turned them off, you could still see due to the fact that so many tour companies are going in the wave that you could still see lights from their helmets on. :D

Thank you so much for your response. I feel much better about going tubing in the caves now. It seemed fun, as I had gone tubing before, (many, many years ago) but not in any caves. Now I just have to convince my DD that I'm not going to collapse from the 45 min hike through the heat and humitity to get to the caves. I tell you what, don't get old, your children will start treating you as if you are the child.:rolleyes: I'm only 54. :D

CACkles, you really seem to like the service you received with the tour group Viv. I do have a few questions. 1 - how far in advance do you recommend making reservations. (Obviously I have plenty of time to wait.;)). 2 - Was lunch included? I wouldn't think so at the price you paid. 3 - About how long would you say you had to walk through the forest before you got to the caves? 4 - And about how long would you say the total tour took you from the time you left the ship until you returned?

I hope this isn't too many questions but I would really appreciated any of them that you can answer for me. Thanks in advance, :D

1. I would make the reservation as soon as you are reasonably certain that is what you want to do. There is no advance payment, so there is no risk. Just do them the courtesy of canceling if your plans change. Our guide said that they sometimes have to stop taking reservations in peak season, but I doubt there would ever be a concern off-peak.

2. Lunch is not included. It is with some of the other excursions, but they may shorten the tubing part to make it fit, especially if they do large groups. When you get to the parking lot in the park where the hike starts there are vendors that are selling snacks, water, etc. We got some water before, and after we returned we had about 15 mins to pick up something if we wanted to.

3. He told us it would be about a 30 minute hike, but I think we spent about 45. However, we stopped many times while he showed us different things. In fact, if we weren't carrying a tube, life vest and helmet, we would have loved the hike almost as much as the tubing. I am in poor physical condition - very overweight. I found the hike to be slightly difficult, but only because of carrying things. The frequent stops made it quite manageable, and entertaining. A couple other groups passed us, but I didn't mind at all.

4. All times are estimated because I was not paying attention to time. We were off the boat on the second tender around 9:00. VIV was holding a sign and very easy to find. We checked in and paid and waited at a table in a covered area for about 30 mins. Kareem came and got us and our party of 6 was joined by 2 others. We rode in a 15 passenger van to the park, with a narrated tour. It was about an hour, but went quickly. We spent 15 to 20 mins changing clothes, getting our tubes and vests, etc., and then started the hike, about 45 mins. I asked Kareem how long the float would be and he said about 30 mins. I know it was longer than that and think it was about an hour. After getting through both caves (30 to 40 mins) we had a leisurely 15 to 20 min float to get back to the starting point. At one point Kareem pulled our group to the side, waited for a large noisy group to pass and then pulled some leaves of the Allspice tree for us to smell and taste. It was cool. Short walk back to the parking lot, 15-20 mins to change and look around and an hour ride back. Many slept in the van. I sat up front and had a nice conversation with Kareem. We got back an hour before last tender. I would guess the whole thing took about 5 1/2 hours. We never felt rushed at all.

As if the last post wasn't long enough, I have something else to add. The hike starts at the same place the float ends. We were given the opportunity to jump in the river at the start. Definitely do that. It's a little chilly at first, but you get used to it. But it helps to keep you cool for the rest of hike.

1. I would make the reservation as soon as you are reasonably certain that is what you want to do. There is no advance payment, so there is no risk. Just do them the courtesy of canceling if your plans change. Our guide said that they sometimes have to stop taking reservations in peak season, but I doubt there would ever be a concern off-peak.

2. Lunch is not included. It is with some of the other excursions, but they may shorten the tubing part to make it fit, especially if they do large groups. When you get to the parking lot in the park where the hike starts there are vendors that are selling snacks, water, etc. We got some water before, and after we returned we had about 15 mins to pick up something if we wanted to.

3. He told us it would be about a 30 minute hike, but I think we spent about 45. However, we stopped many times while he showed us different things. In fact, if we weren't carrying a tube, life vest and helmet, we would have loved the hike almost as much as the tubing. I am in poor physical condition - very overweight. I found the hike to be slightly difficult, but only because of carrying things. The frequent stops made it quite manageable, and entertaining. A couple other groups passed us, but I didn't mind at all.

4. All times are estimated because I was not paying attention to time. We were off the boat on the second tender around 9:00. VIV was holding a sign and very easy to find. We checked in and paid and waited at a table in a covered area for about 30 mins. Kareem came and got us and our party of 6 was joined by 2 others. We rode in a 15 passenger van to the park, with a narrated tour. It was about an hour, but went quickly. We spent 15 to 20 mins changing clothes, getting our tubes and vests, etc., and then started the hike, about 45 mins. I asked Kareem how long the float would be and he said about 30 mins. I know it was longer than that and think it was about an hour. After getting through both caves (30 to 40 mins) we had a leisurely 15 to 20 min float to get back to the starting point. At one point Kareem pulled our group to the side, waited for a large noisy group to pass and then pulled some leaves of the Allspice tree for us to smell and taste. It was cool. Short walk back to the parking lot, 15-20 mins to change and look around and an hour ride back. Many slept in the van. I sat up front and had a nice conversation with Kareem. We got back an hour before last tender. I would guess the whole thing took about 5 1/2 hours. We never felt rushed at all.

Thank you so much for your answers. Wow, now I really want to go.:D It sounds like you had a good time. And I can show this to my dd and tell her, see, I shouldn't fall over and croak from the hike! ;) Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

we booked .bz. I am a little worried about the "15 min hike". Is it level ground or do you have to go uphill. I am overweight and it is difficult to walk up (like upstairs) especially in the heat. If it is level or down, I have no problem. Also is the 15 min hike straight walking or are you stopping along the way for them to show you things. I really want to do this but I don't want to get there and then not be able to and ruin it for everyone.

we booked .bz. I am a little worried about the "15 min hike". Is it level ground or do you have to go uphill. I am overweight and it is difficult to walk up (like upstairs) especially in the heat. If it is level or down, I have no problem. Also is the 15 min hike straight walking or are you stopping along the way for them to show you things. I really want to do this but I don't want to get there and then not be able to and ruin it for everyone.

Don't be worried. They will travel at YOUR pace. They call it a 15 min hike, but it WAS NOT a 15 minute hike. It was more like 30-45 minutes at least. The reason for this is because they stop at tons of places along the way to show you different things and tell you the history. There are a lot of neat things they use in the rain forest and they are proud to tell you about it and let you "try" some of the things. It's mostly level ground but there are a few steps. Just take it slow, they will wait. We had our 3 year old with us, so she was slow. There were also an elderly couple with us (I'm guessing maybe 70's??? and had canes) and there were no problems. Just enjoy. :)

• 2 weeks later...
I read that VIV Tours does not lock feet together. Does anyone have any info regarding cavetubing.com and cavetubing.bz?

Thanks

Was just cavetubing on Wednesday with cavetubing.com and we had to lock feet - and so did cavetubing.bz (as we passed them in the water). Didn't notice whether or not VIV did...

Our experience with cavetubing.com was fabulous - the guides were friendly and funny, they made the whole experience alot of fun! Our group of 6 really enjoyed ourselves and I would happily recommend cavetubing.com!

When we were with VIV last month we were the only ones I saw on the river who did not lock feet.

Thank you for all your information. We are looking into cave tubing in February and this helped a lot. I am also a larger person and am wondering about how comfortable the tubes are? And the "butts up" part?

Also did anyone have cameras along the way and where do you put your belongings while tubing?

Thanks again

We are set for cavetubing with .bz in Nov. Question to anyone who has done this. How cold is the water? We are wondering if we should bring DD's 3ml shorty wetsuit along for this. Don't know if it would be worth carrying during the walk to where we enter the river.

Mitsugirly, would love to hear from you, if your 3yo did it without whining about being cold the whole time in the water, then our 16yo will just have to toughen up for the day.:rolleyes:

Thank you for all your information. We are looking into cave tubing in February and this helped a lot. I am also a larger person and am wondering about how comfortable the tubes are? And the "butts up" part?

Also did anyone have cameras along the way and where do you put your belongings while tubing?

Thanks again

I am 5'9" and weigh 325, so I'm a big guy. I did not think that the tubes were uncomfortable. I had no problem with the short "butts up" time. All you do is lay flatter across the tube. Because of my size I might not have been sunk down in the tube as much anyway. All you have to do is make sure your bum is not below the bottom of the tube - no big deal. If you don't get your butt high enough, you just get more of a river bottom massage. ;) The guide makes sure you don't get (or stay) stuck.

Only bring a camera if it is waterproof - it will get wet. And don't trust a Ziploc bag. We had a waterproof camera with wrist strap and had no problem with it. Anything you don't want to take tubing with you you can leave locked in the van and it is safe. I don't know if any companies take pictures along the way to sell them to you; VIV did not do that. The guide is happy to take pictures of your group with your camera though.

I did not think the water was too cold. On a hot day, like most are, it was very refreshing and felt great. Just took a few seconds to get used to it. We had a wimpy 17yr old girl with us and she didn't complain except for her initial gasp when she first got in. I saw no one on the river wearing a wet suit. In my opinion, the water temperature was about the same as the Atlantic on Ft. Lauderdale Beach in September, except the outside air in Belize was much hotter.

I am 5'9" and weigh 325, so I'm a big guy. I did not think that the tubes were uncomfortable. I had no problem with the short "butts up" time. All you do is lay flatter across the tube. Because of my size I might not have been sunk down in the tube as much anyway. All you have to do is make sure your bum is not below the bottom of the tube - no big deal. If you don't get your butt high enough, you just get more of a river bottom massage. ;) The guide makes sure you don't get (or stay) stuck.

Only bring a camera if it is waterproof - it will get wet. And don't trust a Ziploc bag. We had a waterproof camera with wrist strap and had no problem with it. Anything you don't want to take tubing with you you can leave locked in the van and it is safe. I don't know if any companies take pictures along the way to sell them to you; VIV did not do that. The guide is happy to take pictures of your group with your camera though.

I did not think the water was too cold. On a hot day, like most are, it was very refreshing and felt great. Just took a few seconds to get used to it. We had a wimpy 17yr old girl with us and she didn't complain except for her initial gasp when she first got in. I saw no one on the river wearing a wet suit. In my opinion, the water temperature was about the same as the Atlantic on Ft. Lauderdale Beach in September, except the outside air in Belize was much hotter.

Thank you, that really helps. I will have to check the website and make a reservation.

Any other port "tips" you don't mind sharing...

:-)

Thank you, that really helps. I will have to check the website and make a reservation.

Any other port "tips" you don't mind sharing...

:-)

One small tip - you cannot bring water bottles with you on the hike or float. Apparently there's been too much litter (sad). We bought some water after we checked in with VIV and were waiting for the tour to leave. You can also buy water once you get to the park before you hike and afterward. Even though it was hot we didn't have a problem with thirst, but don't eat something that makes you thirsty.

If it concerns you I think they would probably let you bring a reusable water bottle, but I'm not certain. (These are park rules, not VIV.) I can't think of much else, but let me know if you have more questions.

Archived