new versus old, public versus cabin space ratios

meow!

We were eating in the dining rooms often when we starting to sail away or dock and the flatware and dishes rattled. No problem with the noise but we were surprised since we hardly heard anything on the smaller R ships. The first time we heard the noise we thought there was something wrong with the ship.

The vibrations when docking are really magnified when you are in the MDR because of those dishes!! We really thought that something was terribly wrong!! and were even a little concerned!! Even after the 19 day TA it still was disconcerting everytime it happened!! LuAnn

The vibrations when docking are really magnified when you are in the MDR because of those dishes!! We really thought that something was terribly wrong!! and were even a little concerned!! Even after the 19 day TA it still was disconcerting everytime it happened!! LuAnn
So it sounds like the Marina has similar problems to what we read about the Navigator on this board. Overall, the new ship may not be as enticing as the old R ships?!

Jurgen, thanks for the aside. Interestingly, in English, kindle was a verb (only) for about 700 years until Amazon decided to repurpose it as a noun with their Kindle (I should have capitalized so others knew I wasn't referring to fire-starting). The existential nature of American English speakers lends to us freely butchering language (ours and others...) almost at will...

True, to that although English-speakers tend to accept the oddities of the language, it is quite vexing for those who encounter its nuances.

I am confident I have also become infected with the parlance of texting, tweeting and acronym using from too much of that (LOL, IMHO).

Best Regards, Bob H

Jurgen, thanks for the aside. Interestingly, in English, kindle was a verb (only) for about 700 years until Amazon decided to repurpose it as a noun with their Kindle (I should have capitalized so others knew I wasn't referring to fire-starting). The existential nature of American English speakers lends to us freely butchering language (ours and others...) almost at will...

True, to that although English-speakers tend to accept the oddities of the language, it is quite vexing for those who encounter its nuances.

I am confident I have also become infected with the parlance of texting, tweeting and acronym using from too much of that (LOL, IMHO).

Best Regards, Bob H

In a similar vein, I believe that this board may have added to the lexicon of computerized acronyms, with "OVO" *

* On the Marina Class ships, those Suites larger than a penthouse.

So it sounds like the Marina has similar problems to what we read about the Navigator on this board. Overall, the new ship may not be as enticing as the old R ships?!

Again Meow...you haven't experienced the Marina, why post on this when you have NO knowledge as to what enticements the Marina may or may not have:confused:

Those who have not been on board a particular ship can ask questions like everybody else. Perhaps they especially have reasons to ask questions.

When are you planning to sail on Marina/Riviera? No need for exact date (or measurements), in the near future??

Even when there are no planned dates, everybody can ask questions or comment within the rules of this board. Asking questions can be for curiosity, to gauge public opinion, or for long term future reference and consideration. It has been explicitly stated that one does not need any standing to post or join in on any legitimate topic.

Overall, the new ship may not be as enticing as the old R ships?!

I believe the point here, Meow, is that you've couched a statement in a question. In legal parlance I believe that's called a leading question.

Your attitude about Marina is obvious from your various posts, but I don't understand why you're so negative about her if you haven't yet been on board.

What we have said is just surmising majority opinion in previous polls as well as postings, and contrasting this with earlier expectations on a newbuild for further discussion.

The other point is that some posters tend to object to those who have not been on a ship from commenting. This is not the rules of this board, and we should not just give in as a matter of principle.

I tend to agree with Meow here. The question was taken (at least by me) as a question, even if somewhat "leading".

I haven't been on Marina yet -- will be in October -- but I certainly have gathered from posts that a goodly number of Oceania people who have been on both the old and the new prefer the old. Note I did not say ALL. I didn't even say MOST.

I will just see for myself when I get there ... but I'm anticipating that I'm going to prefer the increased dining choices on Marina while preferring the smaller size of the "R" ships.

But it's been clear to me that not everyone equates "new" with "better".

Mura

What we have said is just surmising majority opinion in previous polls as well as postings, and contrasting this with earlier expectations on a newbuild for further discussion.

The other point is that some posters tend to object to those who have not been on a ship from commenting. This is not the rules of this board, and we should not just give in as a matter of principle.

Meow, I'm not objecting to your right to voice your opinion, but just don't understand it. You've got the right to voice your opinion, but others have that right as well. That's what makes CC interesting to us all.

That being said, I have been on both Marina and R-class ships.

IMHO "surmising (Webster's definition: guess, assume, conjecture) majority opinion in previous polls as well as postings" is subjective, at best. Making assumptions when one doesn't have the requisite first hand experience to compare and contrast has repercussions, as we've discovered from numerous posters on this thread.

Meow, I'm not objecting to your right to voice your opinion, but just don't understand it. You've got the right to voice your opinion, but others have that right as well. That's what makes CC interesting to us all..
Good, so let us go back to the discussion on the subject matter, and not why any person (with any credentials) says it. To start with, this thread began with (presumably) factual numbers published by Oceania itself, that is not so subjective, is it?

it is just as enticing...as we are booked for both TAs next year...the "shake, rattle and roll" didn't and won't keep us away!! And we love the R ships as well....ALL of "O" is just the best we think!! Maybe once you have sailed on Marina you will have your own comparison??? LuAnn

I'm with you, LuAnn. While Marina is certainly not perfect, as witnessed by many posters on these boards who have sailed her (myself included) I enjoy both Marina and the R ships, each for their own unique attributes. The R ships are no more perfect than Marina, just more familiar.

I am happy any day I can sail anywhere on O, no matter which ship, as long as the itinerary is good. No, just leave it I would be happy to sail O anywhere. Their service and the quality of the food make ANY day onboard O wonderful.:)

Now if I were just rich enough to cruise more. . .:rolleyes:

Archived