Restaurants and Meals on Surf?

ducklite

How many restaurants are open in the evening? Is it "freestyle" dining where you can choose where and when you'll eat? Why would you choose one over the other? Are the menus different? Does the main dining room have room to accommodate everyone at once? just trying to wrap my brain around this as I've only cruised on lines with traditional assigned dining.

How many restaurants are open in the evening? Is it "freestyle" dining where you can choose where and when you'll eat? Why would you choose one over the other? Are the menus different? Does the main dining room have room to accommodate everyone at once? just trying to wrap my brain around this as I've only cruised on lines with traditional assigned dining.

This is possibly going to change after Surf has her refit this Nov. We were on the Trans Atlantic Apr 2011 with only 92 passengers which possible mada a difference.

The menus for each dining venue are posted at reception. The Main Dining room menu changes very day (with a 14 day rotation, I think); Degrees always has the same menu (Mediterranean) as does Candles (steak & seafood), the outside venue. You can make a reservation for Degrees & Candles at reception. We were not limited in the number of reservations at either Degrees or Candles but that could have been because there were so few of us. The main dining room is quite large & could possibly fit everyone in - but not everyone dines at the same time so lots of tables get used twice in an evening.

Hope this helps

With regard to seating, there is an advanced signup for Degrees and Candles. For the main dining room, passengers gather in the main bar/lounge prior to dinner time, then queue up when the dining room opens. The restaurant manager assigns the seating for each party as they come to the dining room entrance, so if you are in a group he will seat you at a large table. For unattached couples he will try to accommodate a request for a private table, or he will assign a table with other passengers.

Many passengers choose to avoid the line, and wait 30 minutes or more to be seated. If the ship is full, this may limit the availability of the smaller tables.

We just returned from the Athens to Istanbul sailing. Read my detailed review on the Cruise Critic ship review section for more info.

In terms of getting your head around the dining situation, here's a way to think about it...

The Restaurant (the main restaurant) is quite good and can be your mainstay, or default choice. As described below, diners arrive when they choose and are seated by the maitre'd. We tended to arrive late, and seating was no problem at all. It was never crowded when we were there. It gets pretty slow after 9.

Candles, the outdoor steakhouse, can be your "special experience" restaurant, where you will really take advantage of being on an outdoor-oriented sailing ship. Try to get two nights (at least one) at Candles. It's a terrific experience, and is much different than what we were used to on traditional cruises...so relaxing and casually elegant.

Degrees is a change of pace. It's a little more intimate, with a themed menu that changes occasionally. Go there if you want a change from The Restaurant, and you've already been to the outdoor venues.

We did not try Le Marche, but that is also an outdoor venue, which has a very limited menu featuring seafood / shellfish.

The Asst Dining Manager is named Daddy. Seek him out and he will help you.

We just returned from the Athens to Istanbul sailing. Read my detailed review on the Cruise Critic ship review section for more info.

Just read your comprehensive review of the Wind Surf. Thank you so much for all your information. We will be taking our first Windstar cruise on the same itineray in October.

I noticed at the end of your review you list the cruises you have previously taken. Based on your review and comments, I wanted to make a couple of suggestions for cruises you might want to consider.

Since you seem to love the access to the water directly from the ship, I don't think I have been on a cruise that compares with the Paul Gauguin for that amenity. Couple that with the overwater huts in French Polynesia and you have one of the most exquisite vacations imaginable. I am assuming the small ship feel will be similar on the Wind Surf and their ship has been refurbished. The color of the water in Moorea is something special as is the opportunity to swim with the fish (tropical beauties, sting rays and sharks).

My other suggestion is based on your love of the Celebrity Equinox class because of their beautiful decor and class. You also said that you were considering smaller luxury ships like Oceania and Seabourne. I might suggest that you consider adding Crystal to that list. Crystal's two ships are far and away my favorites. From my experience you can get everything that Celebrity has on a much smaller ship (just under 1,000 passengers) with much better food, service, and entertainment. I have yet to experience Seabourne, but its size limits the kind of top flight entertainment and activities that characterize Crystal Cruises. The one thing that Crystal has which some passengers don't like is their formal nights. Personally I love them as I don't get to dress up anymore as I live in California, where even the fanicest restaurants are casual. In any case, I have been on numerous Crystal cruises and I believe they have been voted the number one cruise line on Conde Nast for many years in a row. The only cruise line that is challenging them is Sea Dream, which is next in line for us.

Once again thank you for you excellent review of your Windstar cruise.

This is possibly going to change after Surf has her refit this Nov.

DQ,

I was wondering where you might've read about Surf's refit? I see Surf only has one 7-day sailing listed for November, so that would seem to confirm there's been time allotted for a refit.

This would be really encouraging news, that Surf will be updated, and continue to be a wonderful ship. We've sailed on her three times, but it's been awhile (and two owners ago). We've been cautiously watching the recent reviews about her looking a bit worn, and we were wondering whether the new owners would spend the money to spruce her up a bit. We're hoping once the refit reviews come out, we'll have no hesitations to sail on her again.

Cheers!

...Karl

DQ,

I was wondering where you might've read about Surf's refit? I see Surf only has one 7-day sailing listed for November, so that would seem to confirm there's been time allotted for a refit.

...Karl

We learned about the refit whilst on board the Apr trans Atlantic. We prefer the Nov crossing but there isn't one this year & on asking why we were told about the refit. She goes into dry dock for 2 weeks (mandated every 2 years) & then is scheduled for a "wet refit" on the 2 weeks back to the Caribbean. We were told that there would be over 200 people working on the refit which is why she is not carrying passengers. We saw the plans for the proposed refit & if they all are done it will be quite luxurious. We are waiting for comments from cruisers who sail on her after her return to the Caribbean as to how it all turns out as we are booked on the 2012 Mar/Apr trans Atlantic. (couldn't wait till Nov 2012 to sail on her again & we only do trans Atlantic):D

Hope this helps

Just returned from the Athens - Rome cruise. Some notes from the crew and Captain.

1. The new owners are looking to invest significant money in retrofit of the 3 current ships. About $5M USD will be spent on the Surf.

2. The new owners have been on board to see, first hand, the line. In fact the CEO, I believe, had been on the ship a couple of weeks prior.

3. They are wanting to expand the fleet to 6 ships and have them stationed throughout the world, including the Orient. No word if the "new" ships will be sailing or powered. Of course this expansion is subject to making sure the line has a solid business plan and is profitable.

4. The crew is very optimistic about the future of WindStar. No changes so far.

Back to the basic question about restaurants.

Candles and Le Marche have set menus that do not change over the period of a week. No choice except for desert. Candles being a steak restaurant and Le Marche being seafood. Both are outdoors on the aft decks and can get windy at times.

Degrees also has a menu that does not change but the menu is large enough to allow choices.

The Restaurant menu changes from day to day.

By the way, Daddy has been with Windstar for numerous years and is fantastic.

When you say set menu, do you mean only one appetizer, one entree, and one dessert? Or do you mean that the menu doesn't change through the week?

For Le Marche, there is one appetizer, one entree etc. For Candles, you do have a choice of various steaks but everything else is set. The menus do not change during the week.

For Degrees, the menu does not change during the week but you have choices.

DH and I will be on a March sailing on Surf. This will be or 7th sailing and we will celebrate our 10th anniversary. We actually took our honeymoon on the spirit. We have friends going who have never been on a cruise so it should be fun!

I am looking forward to the new 'on deck restaurants' and to the refurb. I will post when we return

Archived