????'s re:Xunantunich

urbanhawk

I've tried to do as much research as possible, but have not found the answer I'm looking for. I am considering doing Carnival's shore excursion to the Xunantunich ruins on my next cruise. Perhaps someone who has done this excursion, will know the answer. Once you get to the river, and cross it on the ferry, is there transportation provided to the ruins, or does everyone just take the mile walk/hike? Thanks in advance....

Our excursion to Xunantunich included crossing the river on the ferry and our tour guides had vans waiting for us to take us the rest of the way up to where they have a small gift shop and restrooms. From there we had to walk up a hill about 1/2 mile to the little museum and then thru there to the actual ruins. It's a rocky and uneven path to the ruins but not that bad. We climbed to the top of the biggest pyramid and saw into Guatemala.

Not to alarm you but as the tour guide will point out and you will see there are several soldiers with rifles walking around mostly to keep you safe.

We went thru a tour guide outside of Carnival...we were on the Carnival Conquest...less cost but a smaller group than Carnival's. The tour will take the entire cruise port time but it is well worth it. We have been to Chitza Itza and the DZ ruins in Progresso and Xunantunich was a great place to visit. Beautiful scenery of the rain forest surrounds it.

We went thru a tour guide outside of Carnival...we were on the Carnival Conquest...less cost but a smaller group than Carnival's. The tour will take the entire cruise port time but it is well worth it. We have been to Chitza Itza and the DZ ruins in Progresso and Xunantunich was a great place to visit. Beautiful scenery of the rain forest surrounds it.

Thanks for the info-I usually book with the independent tour companies, but in Belize, especially with the tenders, I didn't want to risk, literally, missing the boat:eek:. Looking forward to seeing these ruins. Back in the 80's, I was able to visit Tulum, and Chichen Itza. My dream one day is to visit Tikal.:cool:

I've tried to do as much research as possible, but have not found the answer I'm looking for. I am considering doing Carnival's shore excursion to the Xunantunich ruins on my next cruise. Perhaps someone who has done this excursion, will know the answer. Once you get to the river, and cross it on the ferry, is there transportation provided to the ruins, or does everyone just take the mile walk/hike? Thanks in advance....

Last January, on the CCL tour, we walked up the hill to the station with the topographical maps and got a background and historical talk about the ruins from the ranger guide stationed there. Then another shorter uphill walk, to the actual ruin site. It's rather large, and be careful if you attempt to climb the tallest pyramid, it's steep and uneven steps with no handrail. Not for anyone with balance or height sensitivity. The view from the top is incredible though.

A much nicer tour and ruins than the Altun Ha excursion

.1986521106_2010_0415ValorApril20100136(800x600)(800x600).jpg.6b58ea95e74f56667ee181479b869920.jpg

288884946_2010_0415ValorApril20100140(800x600).jpg.48576eefa9a2048649776b0528dd3b2e.jpg

45695402_2010_0415ValorApril20100152(800x600).jpg.a10d9f04ecc5ee53289f6a8984ba7ce1.jpg

Last January, on the CCL tour, we walked up the hill to the station with the topographical maps and got a background and historical talk about the ruins from the ranger guide stationed there. Then another shorter uphill walk, to the actual ruin site. It's rather large, and be careful if you attempt to climb the tallest pyramid, it's steep and uneven steps with no handrail. Not for anyone with balance or height sensitivity. The view from the top is incredible though.

A much nicer tour and ruins than the Altun Ha excursion

.[ATTACH]202523[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]202524[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]202525[/ATTACH]

Thanks for the info, and the beautiful pics.:cool:

Xunantunich is worth it! And so is the lunch afterwards! It was a great drive out and a sleepy drive back. DH and I will do this again in a heartbeat...or Lamanai.... Trying to decide...Lamani independently (Carnival doesn't offer it) or Xunantunich again.

• 1 month later...

Would doing this the day after doing Tulum be too tiring? I'm in pretty good shape, but I just wonder if it would feel like cramming too much into a short period of time?

I realize that this is a personal to me question, but if anyone out there has ever done them back to back, it would be cool to get feedback.:)

Tulum Ruins are beautiful but not very big. How are doing with heat? it can be pretty hot. Make sure you bring a hat/water since there's very little shade.

The bus ride to go to Xunantunich is about 2hrs one way. If you're tired you can rest during that time too.

I don't think you would have an issue with doing both.

Archived