Best threads to learn about CCL & Paradise 3 day

sdmike

ok then, let's try this.. :)

I can get an oceanview GTY on the ship for $100 less in total than a reserved room. How risky is this? Said another way, are there any blocks of really undesirable rooms on ship that we would risk getting stuck with? I'm thinking very noisy due to location, a blocked view, etc. I don't care whether I'm fore, aft, stern, etc.

Looks like the oceanview rooms span from Deck 4 to deck 7, with the price going up as the floors do. I'm a little reluctant to have a room under public areas on older ships, but should I be concerned about anything from 4-6?

How to folks feel about the PT (porthole) rooms? I know they're far forward, but I suspect they will be a better price than standard oceanviews...although none are coming up available in my search. Also, are M14 and R12 actually bigger rooms than the rest, or is that just an issue with the deckplan maps? http://www.carnival.com/Deck_Plan.aspx?shipCode=PA

How does the anytime dining option work? Do you just choose that option at booking and then show up at the dining area when you want..similar to NCL freestyle? Anyone experience long waits doing this?

That's it for now. I'm sure I'll have more later.

Thanks

I have been on the Paradise 10 times and have been in the OV cabins from the Riviera deck to the Empress deck. I think the only bad cabins are on the Empress deck right below the galley and the aft Riviera because of the vibrations when docking. I have never stayed in the forward cabins. If you aren't choosy about where your cabin is, GTY is good. I have gotten some good and some not as good cabins this way.

R12 & M14 are both 185 sq. ft. The same as the other cabins (with the exception of the suites which are larger)

ATD is great. We always choose this option when we aren't traveling with a group. It is in the Elation (front) dining room. If you want it you need to choose this option. You can't go from 1 option 1 night and another option the next night. It is open from 6-9. Officially it is supposed to open at 5:45, but I have never seen them open that early.

Don't go there right when the doors open. It is a madhouse with traditional dining and ATD trying to get into the room. We usually show up between 6:30-7 and get right in. If you go between 7-7:30 you might have to wait about 5-10 minutes. If you have to wait, you will be given a buzzer (same as in restaurants). You will be given the option of either sharing or not sharing a table. If you like the waitstaff the 1st night, you can request to sit in their section the following nights.

I've stayed in R12 and I can tell you that there is a little more room. I realize it's listed as a "standard" cabin (which is 185 sq ft in a normal location), but it is a bit longer. It's due to the curvature of the ship as he said. I've stayed in 3 other PT cabins so I know this is the case.

Thanks everyone for your replies. Just need to verify that the mother-in-law can watch the kids/house/dog and will book the trip. Looks like there's no more than a couple of dozen staterooms still available, so I think it's unlikely to have a fire sale at the last minute.

Bon Voyage!

ok guys, it's a go. One last question. I can pay $700 for the two of us and get an inside cabin at the front of the ship, or $785 and get an oceanview either mid-ship or aft. Given your experience on these class of ships, what would you do? $85 isn't necessarily a big deal for us, but it IS $85 :)

ok guys, it's a go. One last question. I can pay $700 for the two of us and get an inside cabin at the front of the ship, or $785 and get an oceanview either mid-ship or aft. Given your experience on these class of ships, what would you do? $85 isn't necessarily a big deal for us, but it IS $85 :)

Midship is best, especially Empress deck

Dont do the front...I did once and was woken up when pulling into port each time. Just my experience. Others have reported no noise but I tell you, not sure how they didnt hear anything. Anchors away!

Personally, I always get an Aft on the Paradise because the elevators there go right up to the food area.

I wouldn't do forward. It can really rock up there. We always choose middle or aft. We have stayed on Riviera to Empress and liked them all. But be careful with the Empress deck; a lot of the cabins are under the Galley.

It's official. I'm in R194 which is back 1/3, port side. Close to the rear elevators for easy food access.

Final questions I hope

• Should I bring a power strip? I know some rooms just have 1 outlet

• Is there a place to store carry-on bags until our room is ready? With it being such a short trip I plan on just bringing a roller bag - like the size that would fit in a plane's overhead bins - and bypass the porters and the post-cruise baggage hunt. On NCL they have a bag-check area for folks that do this, but what about CCL?

Thanks!

It's official. I'm in R194 which is back 1/3, port side. Close to the rear elevators for easy food access.

Final questions I hope

• Is there a place to store carry-on bags until our room is ready? With it being such a short trip I plan on just bringing a roller bag - like the size that would fit in a plane's overhead bins - and bypass the porters and the post-cruise baggage hunt. On NCL they have a bag-check area for folks that do this, but what about CCL?

Thanks!

No bag check and they have sometimes confiscated power stripes and extension cords. I have a small brown extension cord that I plug my electric clock into, so it looks like part of that cord at first glance so its never a issue. And I want my clock on the desk to see the time. My extension cord 3 things can be plugged into it. Its just a 6 ft'er

You keep your carry ons with you until the cabins are ready at 1:30 pm

Final questions I hope

Thanks!

No comments at all here other than welcome you to Carnival Mike!!! I do hope that you and your wife have a great cruise:D

No bag check and they have sometimes confiscated power stripes and extension cords. I have a small brown extension cord that I plug my electric clock into, so it looks like part of that cord at first glance so its never a issue. And I want my clock on the desk to see the time. My extension cord 3 things can be plugged into it. Its just a 6 ft'er

You keep your carry ons with you until the cabins are ready at 1:30 pm

Based on that information I'm going to take a small plug extender...one three prong turning into 3, and we'll be fine. Probably will never see it. Might also now check one suitcase instead of a rollaboard so we don't have to babysit it all afternoon. I can always carry my one suitcase off in the morning, right?

No comments at all here other than welcome you to Carnival Mike!!! I do hope that you and your wife have a great cruise:D

Thanks! It'll be my 4th different line, so I'm sure making the rounds :)

Based on that information I'm going to take a small plug extender...one three prong turning into 3, and we'll be fine. Probably will never see it. Might also now check one suitcase instead of a rollaboard so we don't have to babysit it all afternoon. I can always carry my one suitcase off in the morning, right?

Sure can..called self-debark.

Enjoy your cruise on the Paradise! I was hoping to be on the 19th as well with my friend Patty(sk8rpatty who posted earlier) but not sure I am going to be able to make it.

Stop by the piano bar..Jordan the Piano Man is great.

Well if you're going to make it let's find a place/time to meet. Love meeting new people. Is Patty still going?

Yep Patty is booked...you will find her in the Piano Bar for sure. Her BF is Jordan the Piano Man. She looks exactly like her avatar picture (well, the girl in the avatar).

Check the Roll Call boards..not sure if she started one. I am already doing the Caribbean on Sept 5 but if the price drops for the 8/19 I may go.

Edit:http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1448854

Thanks for the link, Deb. I posted on the roll call. 2,000 pax and two of us on the roll call. :rolleyes: Hope you can make it, but doubt the prices are dropping. Not more than a dozen rooms left

Final questions I hope

Thanks!

If you board the ship after 1:30, you will be able to go right to your cabin. We had a cabin close to yours, didn't have any problems with it.

In the past, we have brought a 3 outlet plug. We stopped bringing it after realizing we could rotate what was plugged in (mainly charging batteries).

You are describing self-debarkation. You can leave any time after self-debark has been called. We like to wait for almost all of the people to disembark before we leave. We don't like sitting in LA traffic.

Good point on the debarkation. On the Epic last year we were one of the last off the ship around 10am because our flight wasn't until later. Think I'll do the same here. The 2 hour drive to San Diego would be a 4 hour drive at 8am.

The biggest pain for us is just the suitcase orgy. We have bright yellow suitcases so it's easy to find ours, but it's truly a zoo. I think we'll have a porter put our bag on the ship but bring it off ourselves (rolling suitcase)

I guess its official, I have my countdown clock going. :)

Enjoy your cruise on the Paradise! I was hoping to be on the 19th as well with my friend Patty(sk8rpatty who posted earlier) but not sure I am going to be able to make it.

Stop by the piano bar..Jordan the Piano Man is great.

Booo... you need to go! LOL But I understand, you have your big cruise coming up. Keep watching the prices tho, hopefully you'll see a big drop and book! I'll be going again Sept 23rd, I think

Good cabin choice!

Yep, those forward cabins are very noisy when the ship is docking, especially on Riviera deck. I always get stuck up there because I'm on the "crew family" discount. For the price I'm getting, I can put up with the noise. :p

Hopefully I'll see you on board!

Archived