Grand Caymen, Is it practical to go back to the ship for lunch?

mommyto2kids

We are thinking of doing a couple hour excursion in the am and wander around in the afternoon, but I am trying to figure out if it is practical to take the tender back to the ship for lunch and then go back to shop or if we are better off just planning to get food at a local restaurant. The ship gets to port at 7:30am and leaves at 4:30pm

Thanks

It can be done. Plan about an hour and a half to get to the ship, eat, and return. The tenders will be running all day so it is easy to catch one.

However, how often are you in Grand Cayman? Spend some time and grab some local food. Take some pictures and make it part of the travel experience.

Just my preference....Your mileage may vary.:)

although the ship leaves at 4:30 the last tender out is 3:15.

Depends on what you want to shop for-- alcohol will be sent to the ship for you and must be done within X amount of time before the ship sails.

I do not know if it would be worth it to return to the ship with a tender (depending on how long the line is) get back on the ship, get to your room to drop stuff off- head to the buffet then go back on the tender to get back in the port-- even lowballing at 1.5 hours==- jsut not worth it.

many places on the island to grab a quickie

The last time I tendered in GC, I was on the last tender back to the ship and there was a medical emergency which caused further delay, so the unforeseen always needs to be taken into consideration.

I wouldnt do it simply because of the tender process. It can be time consuming and a real pain in the butt. I would spend 50 bucks for lunch on the island before dealing with the tender process 4 times in a single day.

We usually have big big brkfast brought to room. Eat and then go on excursion. Get a snack in town if must. But we usually shop about an hour or so--take tender back--eat light late lunch--fruit--get ready for 6:00 dinner. You'll lose to much time to go back for lunch and time flies there--you won't even notice.

Archived