Gem out of NY in January

SailBabySail

I believe sail-a-way is for 4pm on January 8th out of NY. Can any of you who have sailed at that time of the year tell me if is dark enough to see the skyline lit up? I know how dumb that sounds but we have never sailed at that time of the year and I am excited to be able to see the skyline in lights even if is only dusk and not pitch black. It will be so different than a sail-a-way in the summer when it is still daylight. Thanks fellow cruisers :D

I believe sail-a-way is for 4pm on January 8th out of NY. Can any of you who have sailed at that time of the year tell me if is dark enough to see the skyline lit up? I know how dumb that sounds but we have never sailed at that time of the year and I am excited to be able to see the skyline in lights even if is only dusk and not pitch black. It will be so different than a sail-a-way in the summer when it is still daylight. Thanks fellow cruisers :D

It's still light out at 4pm. Daylight starts fading around 4:30.

we are going the end of Nov. first week in Dec.

if my kids see the Statue of Liberty, even in the dimlight, I will be happy

they can be cold for a little bit. heck we are from New England, we can take the cold :D

We had a January 4th sailing on the Gem out of New York and got many great pictures as we sailed away. Spent lots of time on deck and then on our aft balcony. Would take another winter cruise out of new york in a Second. One of my most memorable cruises

We also love sailing out of NYC in January. Yes, it can be cold on deck but bundling up is worth it to see the lights come on on Manhatten and then the Statue of Liberty. Yes, you will be able to see it. If the natural light is too dim, she will be brightly lit. I was very impressed with the night-time view of her the year we left an hour late. Even the bridge is lit up and impressive as you approach and go under it.

Sunset in NYC on Jan. 1, 2013 will be at 4:45 pm. See below.

With the sun setting on the Jersey side, NYC will (on a sunny day) be bathed in the last light of the day. If it's a cloudy day, it just may be dark enough for the city lights to come on.

Either way, you may be able to get some decent shots.

The Statue of Liberty is another matter. If it is sunny, the sun will be somewhere behind the statue, making for a very difficult situation.

On a cloudy and darkish day you may be able to catch her when you leave. In any case, be ready on the morning of your return. The rising sun will be behind you. That'll be your best chance. Good luck.

photo.jpg.d7e327794f52d411434747d32e85ddd2.jpg

368801978_0911Gem-27.jpg.6e4f378bf69e15bf7e5ff07ff681259b.jpg

Thanks everyone. Sorry for the late response as I have been away from the pc. My son is visiting and he takes priority :) Anyway, as I have tons of photos of the "Lady" I am more interested in the skyline. Also, I have noted that sailaway will be at the Spinnaker rather than the outer decks which I know will be cold. I am used to the cold being from NY and am fully prepared to bundle up LOL. I will try to remember about the Meet and Greet and joining the roll call. I'll check back just after final payment about the roll call. Thanks again everyone.

We were on the the Gem last January and we narrowly avoided 2 major storms going in both directions. (pretty sure the Jewel got hit going both ways!) We got some snow and the seas were by far the rockiest ive ever seen even though we made some pretty good distance from the storm.

We were on the the Gem last January and we narrowly avoided 2 major storms going in both directions. (pretty sure the Jewel got hit going both ways!) We got some snow and the seas were by far the rockiest ive ever seen even though we made some pretty good distance from the storm.

This will sound sick, but I would book one of these cruises so I would have to sail through a winter gale.

I am looking so forward to this cruise as it will be an adventure very different from sailing during the summer. I know it will be cold. I know the water will be rocky. And, I cannot rule out the possibility of a snow event. This may be the first of other winter cruises or the first and last out of NY in winter.

I am wondering, however, if they will have us board as usual onto deck 6 (I think that is the deck) or will they allow us to board on a lower deck if there is snow or ice. I panic boarding those high ramps as I am afraid of heights and no matter what tips I have gotten it doesn't get better. A lower ramp (Carnival embarks on deck 2) would be so much better. The thought of slipping on an icy ramp scares me to death on top of my fear of heights.

Archived