Why would I book through a travel agent??

407dm

For us, by the time we're ready to put down $$ and book, I've done all the research, presented it to our family and we've decided what exactly we want. Ship, itinerary, dates, cabins, etc. I thoroughly enjoy doing the research and feel like I've been able to find good deals for what we have wanted. For me, planning the trip, excursions, flights, etc. is part of the fun! I've found the PVP always has the same cabins available in the category for our party type as I find. Once, she didn't seem to have the ones we wanted available, turned out it was because I still had the window open on my computer viewing them! Goes to show the PVP is pretty much looking at and has available the same things we look at on the Carnival website. Anyway, bottom line for me is I enjoy the planning and part of the fun is the time it takes me to do it. (yes, even when I don't always have that time to spare!) I do this for all of our vacations, including many family roadtrips around and about the country. People often ask me and DH who our TA was and how we found all the interesting, often out of the way places we've visited and are always shocked at the itineraries and cost of the vacations I've planned! So, for some of us, I guess we just enjoy the planning (or as DH would say, I'm a control freak!):rolleyes:

We always booked directly through Carnival, however, on our last cruise we wanted to use points earned from our Carnival Credit Card. What we thought was Carnival directly was actually a TA. We received no "extra perks", our dinner reservations and table assignments were messed up and when it came to getting our OBC for a price drop with the early saver...it was a much bigger hassle than our family members on the same cruise who booked through Carnival. I learned my lesson ;)

There are still good travel agents around. Most of them specialize in high end, niche, or exotic itineraries, with clientele that appreciates their service and expertise and is willing to pay for it.

For Carnival cruises and the typical related itineraries (hotel and/or RT airfare), it's far too easy for many people to do it themselves, and the only way that travel agents can survive in this environment is through cutrate pricing and slicing their commissions to nearly nothing. As a result, the good ones either get out of the business or specialize. What you have left are novices, part-timers, and would-be home businesses, many of whom have little more than a computer and a couple of basic courses or training sessions. It's no wonder that mistakes abound with these "TAs."

We use a local brick and mortar TA. It started because a friend worked there. They have done an amazing job with price drops and other scheduling over and above the cruise bookings. We were rewarded with a bottle of wine on each cruise.

As I told the TA I will continue to use them because it helps to keep a local business operating. Why not let some of my cruise fare be distributed to a local business.

If they go out of business I would book directly with the cruise line.

Archived