Why would I book through a travel agent??

407dm

Also, they have a loyalty program. Every time we book a cruise, we get $50 off our next cruise. Also, any friends we refer get $25 extra OBC on their sailing and we get $25 off our next cruise for referring them!

I understand many of you like to book with Carnival for complete control and access to their customer service. For us, we just can't give up all the extra OBC and loyalty discounts for that service. We have never had an issue getting what we needed with our TA.

For those saying there is a $25 limit on OBC, I believe that is only a limit on what you can advertise. If you are looking for a deal, do not hesitate to call some of these TAs and say "I'm looking to book this sailing and the lowest price I can find is X. Can you match that price and give me $250 OBC? If so, I'm ready to book with you right now." That is how we found our TA and we have stayed because we like their loyalty program.

I could not agree more!! Our TA also has a loyalty program and we get perks for our referrals too.

For those saying there is a $25 limit on OBC, I believe that is only a limit on what you can advertise. If you are looking for a deal, do not hesitate to call some of these TAs and say "I'm looking to book this sailing and the lowest price I can find is X. Can you match that price and give me $250 OBC? If so, I'm ready to book with you right now." That is how we found our TA and we have stayed because we like their loyalty program.

When did you last book, this is the policy that started last year

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=3984

Travel agents can only sell Carnival cruises at the set rates provided by the cruise line. Under the current policy, which first appeared in 2005, agents are prevented from publicly advertising discounts but can offer them in person or over the phone. (Typically, a portion of agents' commissions is offered to consumers in the form of lower fares, upgrades or value-added perks -- a strategy known as rebating.) However, as of August 1, agents won't be able to change the prices at all. So, if Carnival says this cruise is $399 a cabin, it's $399 a cabin, and agents won't be able to sell the cruise at a lower price

Carnival will also restrict the types of value-added amenities agents can offer. If travel agents wish to offer a "non cash-equivalent value add" (a phrase basically meanings bonus gifts, i.e. transfers, insurance, handouts like wine or tote bags) worth more than five percent of the total cruise fare or $25 (whichever is greater), they will need to have their marketing plans approved by Carnival. Lower-value gifts do not need to be approved. Any perks worth more than 10 percent of the cruise fare are not allowed at all.

For cash equivalent gifts -- onboard credit, pre-paid gratuities or gift cards -- agents can offer perks worth a maximum of 10 percent of the cruise fare. However, all cash equivalent gifts must also be approved by Carnival.

In an e-mail to travel agents, Carnival explained the purpose of this policy is "to help minimize consumer confusion over pricing and in return increase sales. Prior to the implementation of this policy, consumers were exposed to a variety of price points in the marketplace for the same cruise. This naturally caused them to lose confidence in their purchase decision and the Carnival brand."

This is very interesting and will be keeping an eye on this thread as I just read Carnival's TA policy today and they are very clear that no TA can offer a lower fare than what is offered to the general public on Carnival's website. :confused:

Carnival's current policy allows TA to offer up to 5% of the total cost of the cruise as OBC or $25, which ever is less.

I have heard that some TAs are giving up part of their commission as OBC even in the face of the above policy.

:)

Carnival will also restrict the types of value-added amenities agents can offer. If travel agents wish to offer a "non cash-equivalent value add" (a phrase basically meanings bonus gifts, i.e. transfers, insurance, handouts like wine or tote bags) worth more than five percent of the total cruise fare or $25 (whichever is greater), they will need to have their marketing plans approved by Carnival. Lower-value gifts do not need to be approved. Any perks worth more than 10 percent of the cruise fare are not allowed at all.

For cash equivalent gifts -- onboard credit, pre-paid gratuities or gift cards -- agents can offer perks worth a maximum of 10 percent of the cruise fare. However, all cash equivalent gifts must also be approved by Carnival.

In an e-mail to travel agents, Carnival explained the purpose of this policy is "to help minimize consumer confusion over pricing and in return increase sales. Prior to the implementation of this policy, consumers were exposed to a variety of price points in the marketplace for the same cruise. This naturally caused them to lose confidence in their purchase decision and the Carnival brand."

Seems pretty clear cut to me.....

Travel agents can only sell Carnival cruises at the set rates provided by the cruise line. Under the current policy, which first appeared in 2005, agents are prevented from publicly advertising discounts but can offer them in person or over the phone. (Typically, a portion of agents' commissions is offered to consumers in the form of lower fares, upgrades or value-added perks -- a strategy known as rebating.) However, as of August 1, agents won't be able to change the prices at all. So, if Carnival says this cruise is $399 a cabin, it's $399 a cabin, and agents won't be able to sell the cruise at a lower price

Our next cruise OBC is not more than 10% of the cruise fare, so I'm pretty sure we're in the clear :)

I know exactly what I'm looking for...dates, ship, itinerary, cabin, dining times, excursions, etc. I could take the time to explain all this to a TA and hope it's done right...or I can book it myself.

When something unexpected comes up I could call a TA and hope I hear back in a day or two...or I can go to my computer or phone and handle it immediately.

When there is a price drop I can notify the TA and hope he or she is not taking a few days off, sick or just really busy...or I can fill out the form in 5 minutes and send it in.

For a $25 OBC or a couple photos I'd never look at, I'm not interested in a TA. I guarantee I will do a better job than even the best TA because I know exactly what I want and I have no other clients to worry about.

wow, I did not expect so may replies. Thank you all for opening my eyes to some of the benefits and downfalls.

Hi to lucky, I have a magic cruise planned the date is in my signiture.

this seems to be a hot topic, I will check back ... thanks for your views

unless the OBC the TA can get you is more than their fee then I don't see why any one would either? because even if they can get you some on board credit how much are they charging to book for you? I have used a travel agent before but I like being in total control of my stuff So I guess that's and the fact that even after the savings after you pay them their fee it doesn't come out to much of a savings at all I might as well do it myself!

unless the OBC the TA can get you is more than their fee then I don't see why any one would either? because even if they can get you some on board credit how much are they charging to book for you? I have used a travel agent before but I like being in total control of my stuff So I guess that's and the fact that even after the savings after you pay them their fee it doesn't come out to much of a savings at all I might as well do it myself!

Fee? They're charging me a fee?:confused:

Fee? They're charging me a fee?:confused:

Most dont, but some charge all sorts of fees....booking fee, cancellation fee,price adjustment fee.

If using a TA is always good to ask them about fees, price drops and how to contact someone if they are unavailable for an extended period of time.

I agree with you. Just about every cruise we have booked with a pvp from carnival we have checked with a ta and carnival was ALWAYS cheaper then the price the ta gave us. We do have to check with the carnival site and if the price of our cruise goes down we do let our pvp know, don't know about ta's if they keep checking for you. Also our pvp will let us know if we book a bad cabin and he will steer us to a better one. I wish I could find a ta that gave me a better price but so far haven't

Well, I am in fact a TA and use the TA website to book Carnival, which always has the same exact price that the carnival.com website offers. What I do, however, is I guarantee to check the prices on a weekly basis for price drops and submit info for clients. Clients really appreciate that so they don't have to worry and generally they client will get some kind of refund or OBC. Everyone is happy ;)

Carnival's current policy allows TA to offer up to 5% of the total cost of the cruise as OBC or $25, which ever is less.

I have heard that some TAs are giving up part of their commission as OBC even in the face of the above policy.

:)

I have not done it yet, but would be willing to part with some of my commission to gain the loyalty of a client.

TA's should NEVER charge a fee on top of the price. Even PVP's get a commission off of the fare offered. There should be no difference in what the passenger pays.

Most dont, but some charge all sorts of fees....booking fee, cancellation fee,price adjustment fee.

If using a TA is always good to ask them about fees, price drops and how to contact someone if they are unavailable for an extended period of time.

Thanks, but I thought the poster was implying that they charge a fee upfront, just to book you. I'm aware of cancellation fees, and don't have a problem with it, have also heard of price adj. fees, my TA doesn't charge for that.

I do watch for price drops myself. Not a problem. :)

Thanks, but I thought the poster was implying that they charge a fee upfront, just to book you. I'm aware of cancellation fees, and don't have a problem with it, have also heard of price adj. fees, my TA doesn't charge for that.

I do watch for price drops myself. Not a problem. :)

As I listed some agencies charge a booking fee, thats non refundable. Usually its not per person, but for the entire booking. Its usually smaller B&M agencies or often agencies that are associated with travel points.

Well, I am in fact a TA and use the TA website to book Carnival, which always has the same exact price that the carnival.com website offers. What I do, however, is I guarantee to check the prices on a weekly basis for price drops and submit info for clients. Clients really appreciate that so they don't have to worry and generally they client will get some kind of refund or OBC. Everyone is happy ;)

Ahhh--- a cruise Girl Friday! :)

It makes perfect sense for people to book with a TA to take their minds off the booking, and let you do your thing. For some people, it's all they can do to manage all the other stuff going on.

I'll keep going direct, in part because I like being involved in the booking - for various reasons.

I am sure that TA's will continue in some for or another, though will likely become a bit more scarce over time.

Tom

I am sure that TA's will continue in some for or another, though will likely become a bit more scarce over time.

Tom

Yes, they are already changing their business model. Years ago, just about every mall and larger shopping center had a travel agencies office. Now many have closed and TA are operating from a centralized locations or at home.

I haven't used a TA in 16years.

The last one blew for all who follow.

I gave her the info for my trip:

Where; when; etc.

Days later when she still hadn't called me back

I tried my own hand at it. I made her look like

an amateur. My deal was so much better then hers it was ridiculous.

If you want it done right, do it yourself. JMHO. YMMV.:D

the few times I did use a travel agent I was charged a $50 booking fee and once a $100 booking fee this was for the entire thing not per person. Maybe I used the wrong travel company?? I had no clue that travel agents shouldn't charge any additional fees

Archived