Bending the Rules - Not Fair to Others

BORDER REIVER

Maybe some people still sail with the line because they enjoy doing so, I do not pick a holiday on the dress code of the ship.

I pick for the itinerary and the ship and if I choose not to compy with formal nights then that it totally up to me. I stress however that I do dress smartly, just that my husband does not dress like a penguin and my self like the Queen of Sheba.

The ship and dress codes are part of the package we sign up to when we book, although I appreciate you want to go to certain destinations and will have to put up with some things to achieve that.

I hope you do find your ideal cruises and I hope that being surrounded by the hoards of penguins and queens of Sheba you so obviously despise doesn't spoil your holidays.

The ship and dress codes are part of the package we sign up to when we book, although I appreciate you want to go to certain destinations and will have to put up with some things to achieve that.

I hope you do find your ideal cruises and I hope that being surrounded by the hoards of penguins and queens of Sheba you so obviously despise doesn't spoil your holidays.

What surprises me is the number of people who are rude enough to make fun of those who like the dress code and comply with it! :rolleyes:

What surprises me is the number of people who are rude enough to make fun of those who like the dress code and comply with it! :rolleyes:

Totally agree.I am fed up of the ex-OV cruisers and others who want to rebel having a go at us,the people who wear the dress code of the evening, Penguins? What a stupid remark, I think every man looks handsome in a dress-suit/tux more James Bond than penguin.

:)

Some people are so stuffy, my husband and I love cruising but we don't do it just so that we can dress up.

Infact we obviously pay for it but do not tend to do the formal nights we have done them time and time before and we have found they are overated for what they are.

We normally eat at one of the other restaurants (not buffet or one's with a surcharge) and as far as I am concerned as long as I dress smartly which I do even on casual evenings I should be able to go where and when I want to on the ship.

i have paid my money, like everybody else, unfortunatley formal nights are still had on all ships ( and in my estimation too many of them).

We had one on a 3 day cruise!!

I agree with you, we are sailing P&O because of the facilities on the ship and the itinerary but I have a feeling we will prefer RCI as you never felt as though people were looking down their noses at you on formal night (although we did conform to the dress code but it was just me and mum then!)

I'm not criticising anyone who enjoys doing the formal nights as we did on RCI (not long gowns but smart dress or trouser/smart top) but my dad for certain just couldn't sit comfortably eating dinner and all night with a jacket and tie on. Whilst we were on RCI the amount of men who wore a suit for dinner then changed into chinos afterwards was very high, unfortunately there were a few who took it too far and wore jeans or 3/4 shorts!

I do have to sympathise a little with some of those who don't like formal dress codes, because I really dislike the discomfort of having anything tight(ish) round my neck and wrists and it's always a massive relief to get rid of it all at the end of the evening. After a good dinner and 5+ hours on a warm ship, what started off as OK has got round to strangling every part of me. After wearing a tie for 20 odd years at work, I try to avoid doing so now. To me though, there's absolutely no difference in comfort levels between a suit and a tux, so I wear a tux out of respect for my fiancee, the cruise company and other passengers. I'm looking forward to the day when we cruise on an expedition ship, where relaxed clothing is the norm, but in the meantime, wherever we go I will do my utmost to fit in with the majority and not look for reasons or excuses not to do so. I still breathe a sigh of relief on more casual evenings though.

After reading the many posts on various forums from the anti-formal brigade, it seems as though some just don't fancy dressing up and will happily do something else without complaint - fair do's to them.

There are also quite a few who seem to have developed an intense dislike of formality and of those who enjoy or comform to it, even stooping as low as name-calling. It's almost as though they have had a bad experience, like being turned away from the MDR at some stage and their only course of action is to stamp their feet and shout "will not, can't make me" like some chastened child, to make sure everyone hears them.

I've found nearly all cruisers to be great people, doing their best to fit in and in a way that they happy with, but there will always be a few who will sulk because they refuse to conform and will be restricted to other areas of the ship while us penguins and Queens of Sheba are having a great time.

It sounds to me Border like your putting yourself through hell, just so you can fit in. Why not get a looser shirt collar, or dare I say it wear a single cuff! It's a holiday after all, and I for one think that you are showing P&O enough respect by wearing clothes that are permitted yet still comfortable.

As for the name calling, there has been a fair bit of that on both sides of this discussion and a certain lack of respect for different opinions on both sides. I think its a case that people are never going to see it from each other points so just agree to disagree and get on with it.

Enjoy your cruise, and dressing up, you deserve to. Its your holiday!

It sounds to me Border like your putting yourself through hell, just so you can fit in. Why not get a looser shirt collar, or dare I say it wear a single cuff! It's a holiday after all, and I for one think that you are showing P&O enough respect by wearing clothes that are permitted yet still comfortable.

As for the name calling, there has been a fair bit of that on both sides of this discussion and a certain lack of respect for different opinions on both sides. I think its a case that people are never going to see it from each other points so just agree to disagree and get on with it.

Enjoy your cruise, and dressing up, you deserve to. Its your holiday!

Thanks Benjamin, I wouldn't exactly say it's hell, it just becomes uncomfortable and hot for me. I'm a naturally warm person and rarely feel the cold, so my most comfortable clothing would be lightweight and loose. However, my fiancee (who will be my wife 3 days before our next cruise - it'll be our honeymoon cruise) feels the cold a lot more. She has had little opportunity to dress up over the years and has discovered that when cruising she loves being able to make the most of formal evenings. I am prepared to do whatever it takes to enable her to enjoy herself on these occasions and it's a pleasure to be with someone who looks so elegant and lovely. It would certainly spoil her enjoyment if I didn't make the effort. to look my very best.

Border that's really lovely of you. Wish my OH felt the same way about dressing up - I'm trying to get him to get a suit/tux but I've never known someone procrastinate so much!

I agree with the majority of posts on here and definitely agree that getting dressed up is half the fun of a cruise. I am, however, disappointed to hear that some people will judge me as 'sad and spoilt' if I don't partake in the black and white themed night. I bought my formal dresses before I read about the themed night, and as a result I have these, neither of which are particularly suitable for a black and white themed night:

http://www.maxi-dresses.me.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Coast-Fido-Maxi-Dress.jpg

http://debenhams.scene7.com/is/image/Debenhams/120010463045

I have this dress which I may be taking, however it is really not suitable for a formal night, it's a little too short especially at the back so I'd rather not have to wear it.

http://images.asos.com/inv/media/3/8/8/7/1347883/image4xl.jpg

As a result of this I now feel as though I need to go out and buy another formal dress, despite the fact I may not be going on a cruise again for a few years and happen to be on a very tight budget due to starting university next month.

Border that's really lovely of you. Wish my OH felt the same way about dressing up - I'm trying to get him to get a suit/tux but I've never known someone procrastinate so much!

I agree with the majority of posts on here and definitely agree that getting dressed up is half the fun of a cruise. I am, however, disappointed to hear that some people will judge me as 'sad and spoilt' if I don't partake in the black and white themed night. I bought my formal dresses before I read about the themed night, and as a result I have these, neither of which are particularly suitable for a black and white themed night:

http://www.maxi-dresses.me.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Coast-Fido-Maxi-Dress.jpg

I have this dress which I may be taking, however it is really not suitable for a formal night, it's a little too short especially at the back so I'd rather not have to wear it.

As a result of this I now feel as though I need to go out and buy another formal dress, despite the fact I may not be going on a cruise again for a few years and happen to be on a very tight budget due to starting university next month.

The black one would be lovely for formal night. Black & White night too with some white jewellery or accessory. :)

Thanks both of you :)

The black dress is lovely, it's just very short at the back (see the link below) and that's the only thing putting me off. I'm only 18 so it's not like it's inappropriate for my age, it's more the fact that it's supposed to be formal and I would worry about being judged by people thinking I was 'dressing for a nightclub'!

http://images.asos.com/inv/media/6/7/8/4/1344876/image2xl.jpg

The black dress is lovely, it's just very short at the back (see the link below) and that's the only thing putting me off. I'm only 18 so it's not like it's inappropriate for my age, it's more the fact that it's supposed to be formal and I would worry about being judged by people thinking I was 'dressing for a nightclub'!

That's not so short - is it :confused:

Lots of young girls wear the same type of dress and it doesn't look nightclubby at all to me. You won't feel out of place.

Not at all, the dress looks lovely and you are unlikely to be alone in wearing a short(er) dress for formal night. If you've got age and the legs on your side, then make the most of it !!! If you can persuade the OH into a suit or dinner jacket then you will both look a million dollars, and think of the souvenir photos :cool: !

Carol x

That's not so short - is it :confused:

Not exactly, but the back panel is very sheer and the lining itself is a little shorter on me.

I do feel much better about it now though - think I may well wear the black one for a formal night then!

Thanks so much everyone :)

For your age, that dress is entirely appropriate for a formal evening. And don't worry about the length - I have seen far shorter. Just wish I was young enough - and had the figure - to wear it.

For your age, that dress is entirely appropriate for a formal evening. And don't worry about the length - I have seen far shorter. Just wish I was young enough - and had the figure - to wear it.

Aahh, those were the days! You will look absolutely stunning KC2510.

By the way, I gather there are other themed evenings, such as Hawaiian - are we all expected to pack our grass skirts and 70s style clothing as well? :eek:

Aahh, those were the days! You will look absolutely stunning KC2510.

By the way, I gather there are other themed evenings, such as Hawaiian - are we all expected to pack our grass skirts and 70s style clothing as well? :eek:

In reality, the only themed nights that are really complied with - by passengers - are black&white and tropical/carnival.

The 60s&70s, C&W costumes etc are seldom seen, except on the ents crew.

Mmm!, black and white, 60's/70's and tropical nights on my 12 day cruise.

I suppose the B/W night will be OK with my black dinner suit, white shirt and white pocket square!.

what about a polka dotted bow tie :)

I probably won't bother with the other two unless I can find a cheap shirt with 60's and 70's written all over it :D

Beautiful dresses and entirely appropriate for formal evenings. We've just returned from Oriana and a lot of the older teen girls were wearing a similar style of dress for formal evenings and they all looked sensational!

Have a fab cruise and good luck with University too.

Debbie:)

Archived