Bending the Rules - Not Fair to Others

BORDER REIVER

I think anyone who does not enjoy seeing their partner dress for dinner and look and feel a million dollars has a screw loose. Certainly we get little opportunity with our busy lives to dress up and a cruise provides the perfect oppotunity. For that reason we would never choose an informal cruise line whilst there are still some left who have dress codes.

I think anyone who does not enjoy seeing their partner dress for dinner and look and feel a million dollars has a screw loose. Certainly we get little opportunity with our busy lives to dress up and a cruise provides the perfect oppotunity. For that reason we would never choose an informal cruise line whilst there are still some left who have dress codes.

I don't have a partner and am usually more comfortable in jeans and a T, but every now and again it's nice to do something a little different and spray on the expensive perfume!

I'm doing it for me and even though I'm a little apprehensive as to whether I get it right I am actually looking forward to it.

I don't have a partner and am usually more comfortable in jeans and a T, but every now and again it's nice to do something a little different and spray on the expensive perfume!

I'm doing it for me and even though I'm a little apprehensive as to whether I get it right I am actually looking forward to it.

Good for you. (didnt mean to exclude solo cruisers, was just saying how it is for us).

I'm sure everyone that makes an effort, even those in the permitted lounge suits etc, will look great!

Can't wait now!

I agree Benjamin, but it would be frustrating for the guys who have made the effort to wear the appropriate clothing to see others deciding not to conform.

If the dress code states that jackets must be worn, then jackets must be worn - it's not rocket science but some people just want to be difficult and spoil the occasion for others which is really unfair.

Hi,

I agree Catherine, all I hope is, that some of the attitudes and opinions expressed on here are not directed towards people that are dressed in permitted clothing ie a lounge suit, and that they not looked down on for not wearing a tux.

It would also be horrible if people were made to feel like they weren't making an effort, when they were!

That said, the rules should be simple as you say, if people don't want to get dress up then they should have dinner in the buffet or their cabin.

Did you find any more information on trips that you liked?

Ben

I've noticed a few women wearing bright colours too on black and white night, and can only assume they are attention seekers...as they certainly do get a lot of attention for all the other ladies onboard that have made the effort!:rolleyes:

You can't blame folk for not having the right outfit on black and white night as it isn't notified in advance of the cruise. I'm a regular cruiser but have only just completed my first cruise with P and O. I was aware they did theme nights and read through all my cruise information in advance but whilst they made it clear how many nights of formal, smart casual, etc, there was no mention of any themes. The first I found out about the black and white night was when the news-sheet arrived in my cabin the night before. We dressed as dark as possible so as not to stand out and luckily we have dark evening wear. However we were not fully compliant as our outfits weren't purely black and white.

I love that some folk don't take the easy route of black evening wear and who come in colourful outfits but feel very sympathetic for them if they get caught out by this lack of pre-cruise information about theme nights. If P and O want these to be more widely observed then they need to give people advance notice.

Black and white night is formal but also optional. People who wear different colours may not wish to conform, as is their option, so long as they are dressed formally it shouldn't matter and they certainly shouldn't be criticised or frowned upon because they don't conform.

On our first P&O cruise my wife and I were aware of all the "theme" nights and were disappointed when only a few passengers put on their loud hawaiian shirts and embarrassed when we turned out in fancy dress as 60's and 70's night to find ourselves only 2 of 9 who had bothered out of 3000+ passengers. The waiters asked us why we were dressed like we were ..... so much for theme nights, some are obviously more "optional" than others.

Who decided that black and white night should be conformed to, but hawaiian and 60's and 70's night shouldn't? and why should those who have dressed for these "theme" nights be frowned upon by the rest of the passengers who couldn't be bothered?

Should P&O drop the "optional" casual theme nights and just retain the B&W nights or should everyone have to conform to all nights? P&O can't have it both ways!

To anyone who's concerned about wearing a lounge suit, don't let it bother you. There may well be people on board who look down their nose at you, but I've never noticed them - and I don't think that's just because I'm thick-skinned or unobservant. Very few DJ-wearers, IMO, have the sense of smug superiority that people on this board are hinting at.

Black and white night is formal but also optional. People who wear different colours may not wish to conform, as is their option, so long as they are dressed formally it shouldn't matter and they certainly shouldn't be criticised or frowned upon because they don't conform.

On our first P&O cruise my wife and I were aware of all the "theme" nights and were disappointed when only a few passengers put on their loud hawaiian shirts and embarrassed when we turned out in fancy dress as 60's and 70's night to find ourselves only 2 of 9 who had bothered out of 3000+ passengers. The waiters asked us why we were dressed like we were ..... so much for theme nights, some are obviously more "optional" than others.

Who decided that black and white night should be conformed to, but hawaiian and 60's and 70's night shouldn't? and why should those who have dressed for these "theme" nights be frowned upon by the rest of the passengers who couldn't be bothered?

Should P&O drop the "optional" casual theme nights and just retain the B&W nights or should everyone have to conform to all nights? P&O can't have it both ways!

I suppose it is easier to make the formal night black & white, as most men will have a black suit (DJ) and a white shirt and for a lot of women a black dress is ideal to take on a cruise as you can add something to make it look different for a couple of formal nights, including something white for the B & W night.

It's a lot harder to pack for 60's and 70's nights especially with the luggage allowance.

I have 'dug out' a dress I bought in Hawaii many years ago and washed it ready - only 80 days to go :D so that is easy enough as well as it being a nice cool dress for the hot weather.

This is just my thoughts as I don't have any strong opinions other than people conforming to the formal and smart/jacket nights.

On our last P & O cruise, no-one, apart from the entertainment staff, dressed in 60s/70s gear. :cool:

So whats the point in P&O stating the theme night to passengers before they sail and including it with the literature they send out? :mad: We spent well over £100 (as a family of 4) trying to conform with the dress code for that theme night, more than the Mr average spends on his dinner suit from Asda, Matalan or M&S! :rolleyes:

Some people are so stuffy, my husband and I love cruising but we don't do it just so that we can dress up.

Infact we obviously pay for it but do not tend to do the formal nights we have done them time and time before and we have found they are overated for what they are.

We normally eat at one of the other restaurants (not buffet or one's with a surcharge) and as far as I am concerned as long as I dress smartly which I do even on casual evenings I should be able to go where and when I want to on the ship.

i have paid my money, like everybody else, unfortunatley formal nights are still had on all ships ( and in my estimation too many of them).

We had one on a 3 day cruise!!

Some people are so stuffy, my husband and I love cruising but we don't do it just so that we can dress up.

Infact we obviously pay for it but do not tend to do the formal nights we have done them time and time before and we have found they are overated for what they are.

We normally eat at one of the other restaurants (not buffet or one's with a surcharge) and as far as I am concerned as long as I dress smartly which I do even on casual evenings I should be able to go where and when I want to on the ship.

i have paid my money, like everybody else, unfortunatley formal nights are still had on all ships ( and in my estimation too many of them).

We had one on a 3 day cruise!!

To be honest, if I was so outraged at being asked to conform to dress codes and not being allowed in certain areas of the ship on formal nights, I would register my protest by taking my custom elsewhere and sail on a ship with no dress codes, rather than continue punishing myself. Good luck in your search for such a ship.

To be honest, if I was so outraged at being asked to conform to dress codes and not being allowed in certain areas of the ship on formal nights, I would register my protest by taking my custom elsewhere and sail on a ship with no dress codes, rather than continue punishing myself. Good luck in your search for such a ship.

NCL - I believe there might be a couple of restaurants (on the Epic one of the main free restaurants and one speciality restaurant) had some minor restrictions, such as no shorts or jeans, but that was about it as far as dress codes went. They do have one or two dress or not nights.

Not wanting to sound boring, I think people on this thread are still at cross purposes. I don't think anyone is outraged at having to conform to a dress code. Just a bit concerned at the attitudes of some people that think if you are not wearing a tux - then you are a non conformist.

Why should people who are enjoying their cruise and wearing clothes that are within regulations, i.e. still in formal attire, cause such a negative reaction.

Surely you'll be enjoying your cruise no less if someone is wearing a red dress instead of black??

I agree!

If you chose not to dress up and go to an alternative restaurant don't whinge about there being a dress code on the ship it's your choice.

It's the 'I should be able to go where and when I want to on the ship because I have paid my money' people that I find the most frustrating.

I too have paid my money and expect everyone to make the same effort that I have, I have chosen the ship BECAUSE of the formal nights - my choice!

There are plenty of other options for cruises that have a casual dress code.

I think we may all just have to agree to disagree on this one.

The poster, was quite right, they should be able to access areas as long as they are dressed smartly and did not say that they wanted to be on a casual cruise!

I think people that want to get dressed up to the nines should do so, but should understand that there are some people that also want to be comfortable, and smart.

Some tolerance all round would be good.

I think we may all just have to agree to disagree on this one.

The poster, was quite right, they should be able to access areas as long as they are dressed smartly and did not say that they wanted to be on a casual cruise!

I think people that want to get dressed up to the nines should do so, but should understand that there are some people that also want to be comfortable, and smart.

Some tolerance all round would be good.

Benjamin sweetie, I'm not sure what you are worried about.

You have indicated that you intend to dress as per the dress code, no-one will criticise you for that hun.

It appears there are some people who just don't want to make the effort.

If formal nights allow for the full works or a suit as long as people comply then there is nothing wrong.

Formal and semi formal require a jacket for men and anyone not wearing a jacket is not complying with the dress code, I'm sure you intend to wear a jacket.

Benjamin, I am looking forward to meeting you and your companions and will in no way judge you for not going the whole hog, as long as you do likewise with me.

I'm sure your mum will be proud to see her little soldier buffed up in a suit and I'll take lots of pictures of you all together.

I'm a little nervous that I'll get it wrong, but I will make every effort to comply with the dress code.

I'll be 54 when we sail and I'm testing out new eye make up, it's all good fun!

Enjoy!! :cool:

Not wanting to sound boring, I think people on this thread are still at cross purposes. I don't think anyone is outraged at having to conform to a dress code. Just a bit concerned at the attitudes of some people that think if you are not wearing a tux - then you are a non conformist.

Why should people who are enjoying their cruise and wearing clothes that are within regulations, i.e. still in formal attire, cause such a negative reaction.

Surely you'll be enjoying your cruise no less if someone is wearing a red dress instead of black??

Benjamin, that was a tongue-in-cheek comment of mine. We all know you fully intend to dress within the dress code and you'll have no problems.

What I cannot understand is that even though some cruise lines are noted for their formality, there's always some people who continue to sail with these cruise lines even though they dislike the formality and call the rest of us are stuffy for being happy with certain dress codes. The whole dressing-up for the evening formality appears to cause them great distress, yet still they sail and still they complain. It really doesn't make sense. You however, have stated that you are still going to dress within the code for each evening, even though you mightn't be all that comfortable - a bit like myself really. Now, if I really hated it all that much and it gave me as much grief as it does some, I honestly wouldn't sail with that cruise line again.

Anybody who knows me certainly wouldn't call me stuffy and I'm certain that 99% of those passengers who dress formally are not stuffy, in fact I've found all those I've seen, to be a really happy bunch of people who actually enjoy dressing up and who are either having a great time or are putting on a great act. Of course there are those who object to others enjoying what they themselves dislike.

Don't you worry about your own choice, it's the same as I made on my first cruise and there were no dark mutterings, just friendly people sharing experiences.

As my original post said, it's about all aspects of bending the rules - there's always those that don't read the cruise info, or read it and decide that no-one's going to tell them what to do because they've paid their fare. The best advice is: read the info, then decide whether or not you're prepared to go ahead on those terms. If you don't agree to the rules, don't bother booking.

Maybe some people still sail with the line because they enjoy doing so, I do not pick a holiday on the dress code of the ship.

I pick for the itinerary and the ship and if I choose not to compy with formal nights then that it totally up to me. I stress however that I do dress smartly, just that my husband does not dress like a penguin and my self like the Queen of Sheba.

Maybe some people still sail with the line because they enjoy doing so, I do not pick a holiday on the dress code of the ship.

I pick for the itinerary and the ship and if I choose not to compy with formal nights then that it totally up to me. I stress however that I do dress smartly, just that my husband does not dress like a penguin and my self like the Queen of Sheba.

It is only up to you if you do not attempt to enter the bars and dining rooms where there is a dress code.

People can stay in their rooms and have room service in their PJ's for the whole trip if that is what they choose to do.

It's the people who book a certain cruise line and then moan about what that ship has to offer - If you choose it then you only have yourselves to blame!

I'm new to this cruising lark, but am astonished by the attitude of some people who choose to do something and then whinge and whine about it! :rolleyes:

Archived