NCL Epic or RCL Oasis? 30yr old single guy

Well, I was just about to book the Oasis and then I heard about the single rooms/studios on the Epic...sound great! Just wondering if they are as good as advertised. I would save a good amount of money doing going with the Epic, however I've heard such great reviews about the Oasis...

Has anyone stayed in the Epic's studios? Which ship/experience would you suggest for a 30 yr old single guy? Thanks all!

You may get different answers from the NCL board but IMHO you cannot beat the Epic for single/sole cruiser activities in the purpose built studios. They have focussed activities in and around the studio area for solo's and the cruise price is also unbeatable. The sitting room area consists 90% of solo cruisers and you will not feel left out.

NCL are including this on their new builds and I expect other lines will also look to do something similar.

Hi there,

I am a long fan of RCL but have cruised with other lines as well.

Went to the Epic in May this year for a 4 night cruise out of Barcelona .

I was happy with what Epic did provide me but had some issues.

First of all let me tell you that the Studio Cabins are really enough for single travellers. The only compromise you have to make in my opinion is with hanging space for your clothes. Obviously one has space underneath the bed but hanging things (like shirts or a tuxedo) is very limeted.

Other than that Studios are great.

What's not so great is the entertainment sheduele.

If you don't reserve your shows most often you won't get into it later.

People might tell you that you can show up 5 minutes before showtime but my experience was that most shows were closed.

So you have to organize yourself and do the prebooking.

I like to go to where I like at that moment so it's not ideal for me.

Entertainment itself wss mostly great especially the Jazz Club And Howl at the Moon.

Food was ok, like on other Ncl ships.

Layout of the ship is sometimed a little bit annoying but it works mostly.

If you have more specific questions I will try to answer them.

Well, I was just about to book the Oasis and then I heard about the single rooms/studios on the Epic...sound great! Just wondering if they are as good as advertised. I would save a good amount of money doing going with the Epic, however I've heard such great reviews about the Oasis...

Has anyone stayed in the Epic's studios? Which ship/experience would you suggest for a 30 yr old single guy? Thanks all!

Are you kidding epic versus oasis its no comparison.OASIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Both ships are great but for the price and the fact EPIC has the singles cabin areas (which have great reviews) I say go on the EPIC. Entertainment is great and contrary to what was said above, on a 7 day cruise you will not have any issues getting seating to entertainment venues regardless if you pre-book or not. FYI, I would pre-book for convenience sake though. Another big plus for EPIC is the elevators and escalators which thin traffic out and result in no waiting, unlike Oasis which usually is a pain with long wait times. Oasis and Allure are truly special fantastic ships but definitely designed towards family.

I'm a 34 year old single woman. I went on Epic in a studio cabin in April. I was ready to buy a future cruise certificate within the first hour on board! I did buy one and am going back to Epic for the New Year's Eve cruise! I did look at Oasis and Allure, but for the dates I wanted, Epic in a studio was way cheaper. I was a bit nervous without assigned dining, but you will meet plenty of other solos in the studio lounge happy hours. Each night, they hold happy hours in the lounge with 2 for 1 drinks. People organize dinners, trips to the ice bar, plans for excursions, etc. I highly recommend the Epic, especially if you are sailing by yourself. I will save Oasis or Allure until I have a man or friends that can afford it.

I know someone who has sailed on both but he is older than the OP and did not experience, although he did see, the studio staterooms on Epic. His view was that he might have enjoyed Epic more if he hadn't already sailed on Oasis. Studios on Epic were not purpose built for singles but after they had been added, cooler heads realized that they were too small to be occupied by two and so they decided to market them as singles. Many of the so-called innovations on Epic aren't going to be included in the NCL ships planned for the future and the fact that only one of the originally planned three Epic class ships was built may be telling.

As a single, however, you may see things differently but I think that Oasis has so much that a thirty year old active person would enjoy that, unless price is a primary factor, I'd still recommend Oasis or Allure.

I know someone who has sailed on both but he is older than the OP and did not experience, although he did see, the studio staterooms on Epic. His view was that he might have enjoyed Epic more if he hadn't already sailed on Oasis. Studios on Epic were not purpose built for singles but after they had been added, cooler heads realized that they were too small to be occupied by two and so they decided to market them as singles. Many of the so-called innovations on Epic aren't going to be included in the NCL ships planned for the future and the fact that only one of the originally planned three Epic class ships was built may be telling.

As a single, however, you may see things differently but I think that Oasis has so much that a thirty year old active person would enjoy that, unless price is a primary factor, I'd still recommend Oasis or Allure.

Recommendations against and yet another negative comment from someone who has not sailed the ship...unbelievable... and a FYI, they did not build the other ships because of a falling out with the shipyard and the recession at the time. Oh and while I am at it, your chop on the single cabins not being purpose built...the Freedom and Liberty had the barber shops on the promenade only to be replaced with the extremely successful cupcake shops. So with your theory does that make them any less of a success? The NCL idea of single cabins is going to be copied by everyone on new builds going forward? Why??, because it is successful. Do the board a favor and Sail the Epic before you post anymore about it so you can at least be semi credible going forward....

Recommendations against and yet another negative comment from someone who has not sailed the ship...unbelievable... and a FYI, they did not build the other ships because of a falling out with the shipyard and the recession at the time. Oh and while I am at it, your chop on the single cabins not being purpose built...the Freedom and Liberty had the barber shops on the promenade only to be replaced with the extremely successful cupcake shops. So with your theory does that make them any less of a success? The NCL idea of single cabins is going to be copied by everyone on new builds going forward? Why??, because it is successful. Do the board a favor and Sail the Epic before you post anymore about it so you can at least be semi credible going forward....

I only repeated what a person who has sailed on both ships reported and he is a travel professional with a lot of cruise ship experience. I think it was quite obvious that I was not speaking from personal experience but it should also be clear from anyone who reads the NCL boards that there have been a number of things that weren't well thought out when Epic was built. From all that I have heard and read about Epic I will do myself a favor and resist any urges to sail on her. Certainly the economy played a factor in the decision not to exercise the options for the second and third ships, but part of the problem between the line and the shipyard was a result of decisions by NCL to make significant changes to the original design resulting in a dispute over the costs associated with those change orders. As far as the studios not being purpose built for singles, I was only clarifying the situation which was erroneously stated by another poster and certainly didn't claim that the idea of single rooms isn't a success. In fact, RCI when it revitalized the Radiance added a limited number of single rooms and it would not surprise me if the Project Sunshine ships included more such rooms. Changing the barber shops to cupcake shops doesn't mean that those ships were less successful only that RCI determined that the cupcake shops were a better use of the space.

Bottom line.....You can't make a credible recommendation against a ship you have never sailed.

Bottom line is that I made a recommendation for a ship not against another one. I am also not a 30 something single so I guess that even if I had sailed on both ships, that would disqualify me from making any recommendations based on your set of criteria. You and others are free to disregard my opinions but at least I offered some reasons for those opinions and made it perfectly clear what the basis for those opinions was.:rolleyes:

I sailed Epic as a solo and I thought it was awesome! The studio cabins are perfect, I really enjoyed staying there the lighting and the technological features of the cabin were very neat. The studio lounge had free specialty coffee all day and all night! Yay! Also they had a poster board in there with solo traveler activities, lunches and breakfast,dinners ect. This ship was awesome, I loved the entertainment and I liked the service. So much fun! For a solo traveler I would think Epic would be a little more solo friendly vs. Oasis, although I havnt sailed Oasis, but I just think on Oasis/Allure you'd spend alot more time by yourself (Especially when it comes to dinning). I vote for Epic!

P.S ohh and to add to that I was 28 at the time of my Epic sailing.

Both ships are must-do's if you ask me. :) You really can't go wrong with either. But since you are a single adult with no children, I would lean toward Epic.

Never been on Oasis, but Allure is simply a beautiful ship and larger than life in every way. On board activities are a balanced mix of sports, sun, shopping and night life, thus good for children as well as adults. Entertainment is great. If you go on Oasis, may I suggest you not worry about the itinerary or stateroom, just pick the best priced cabin and date you can get. IMVHO, Oasis class is the only class worthy of the statement "ship is the destination".

Epic is a funky and charmingly different ship. I didn't stay in a studio but they look very cozy from the pictures. Entertainment is excellent. Night life is very lively. The ship's atmosphere is more geared toward adults than children. NCL in general has better Miami itineraries than RCI IMO but in the case of Epic, I am not so sure. Price wise it's a bargain compared to Oasis.

ETA:

I highly recommend the Epic, especially if you are sailing by yourself. I will save Oasis or Allure until I have a man or friends that can afford it.

I didn't read this reply when I posted. And I completely agree. I would save Oasis or Allure till when you have a companion. :)

Bottom line is that I made a recommendation for a ship not against another one. I am also not a 30 something single so I guess that even if I had sailed on both ships, that would disqualify me from making any recommendations based on your set of criteria. You and others are free to disregard my opinions but at least I offered some reasons for those opinions and made it perfectly clear what the basis for those opinions was.:rolleyes:

Bill nothing wrong with giving your opinion. Others on this thread surely give their opinion. :rolleyes:

We looked at the Epic for January as an option but we like suites and NCL did a poor job on this ship with cabins and suites in general. Small balconies. I don't need a suites courtyard. The entertainment also did not interest us either. We like the Freestyle specialty dining but Oasis class gives just as many or more options so for us it was clear to head back to Allure again.

I'm sure that many like the Epic and that's great.

I have actually been on both (Oasis Class 4 times and Epic only once). My return to Oasis Class 3 times versus not returning to Epic is one indicator of which I prefer. Nothing, and I do mean NOTHING compares to Oasis Class.

That said, putting myself in your shoes as a solo traveler, I can see the draw to Epic. They do solos much better than any other ship, considering you have dedicated rooms and your own lounge and bar area.

Only thing, how much time do you plan on spending down in that lounge? It's a little more cramped than it appears in pictures and the other lounges on board are much better. And that leads to my next point, outside the lounge is where Oasis is in a class by itself. Epic doesn't compare.

Good luck with your decision. I'm sure you'll love either one.

I sailed Epic as a solo and I thought it was awesome! The studio cabins are perfect, I really enjoyed staying there the lighting and the technological features of the cabin were very neat. The studio lounge had free specialty coffee all day and all night! Yay! Also they had a poster board in there with solo traveler activities, lunches and breakfast,dinners ect. This ship was awesome, I loved the entertainment and I liked the service. So much fun! For a solo traveler I would think Epic would be a little more solo friendly vs. Oasis, although I havnt sailed Oasis, but I just think on Oasis/Allure you'd spend alot more time by yourself (Especially when it comes to dinning). I vote for Epic!

P.S ohh and to add to that I was 28 at the time of my Epic sailing.

Be prepared to duck when you are attacked by rolloman for voicing an opinion about the Oasis without having sailed on her.;) Apparently it is not permissible to form opinions except those based on personal experience.

Be prepared to duck when you are attacked by rolloman for voicing an opinion about the Oasis without having sailed on her.;) Apparently it is not permissible to form opinions except those based on personal experience.

Key word I used is credible. Anyone can relentlessly throw unqualified opinions. This was not a poll, it was a question directed to individuals with first hand knowledge. The OP needs to ask themselves..A. Do I believe the many previous EPIC posters who have answered my thread? or B. Do I believe the guy who never step foot on the ship that rambles on and on throwing out pointless drivel all the while boosting his never ending post counts? I just do not know, this is a tough one... what path should the OP be swayed to? My first hand credible knowledge says the EPIC is a fantastic ship for a single cruiser. The EPIC overall is an extremely beautiful ship with some of the finest suites on the sea. Is it the Oasis class? No, it is not trying to be either. The EPIC is a real sailing ship, the Oasis is a floating resort. Both are awesome to experience.

Key word I used is credible. Anyone can relentlessly throw unqualified opinions. This was not a poll, it was a question directed to individuals with first hand knowledge. The OP needs to ask themselves..A. Do I believe the many previous EPIC posters who have answered my thread? or B. Do I believe the guy who never step foot on the ship that rambles on and on throwing out pointless drivel all the while boosting his never ending post counts? I just do not know, this is a tough one... what path should the OP be swayed to? My first hand credible knowledge says the EPIC is a fantastic ship for a single cruiser. The EPIC overall is an extremely beautiful ship with some of the finest suites on the sea. Is it the Oasis class? No, it is not trying to be either. The EPIC is a real sailing ship, the Oasis is a floating resort. Both are awesome to experience.

So I guess the venusleo's opinion about Oasis isn't credible either. Does the fact that I have seen pictures of the Epic lend any credibility to my opinion that it is one butt ugly ship from the exterior at least? Maybe the OP should also believe my friend who did set foot on the Epic but was not terribly impressed. Sorry that you found my comments to be "rambling" but you are entitled to your opinion.

Just wanted to throw a third option into the fray- singles cruises aboard Allure/Oasis. I know there's a singles group on my Allure sailing where some nice singles have already chimed into the roll call. If what you're looking for is other singles and solos to talk to, that could be an option.

Also, do check the "extra costs" onboard Epic. I will fully disqualify myself from offering any option on either ship since I've not been on them, nor am I a 30 year old single male, but did look at the costs of the specialty restaurants on Epic and tacked on a bit of extra cost to the potential cruise fare to account for eating outside the MDR. Same with Oasis and Allure, be sure to check the extras you're interested in. If cost is the main factor and base prices are within $100 or so, be sure to tally up the extras and compare that way, too.

Archived