Sounder Station to King Street Station Seattle

hexdragon

We will be staying in Seattle overnight and taking the Amtrak Cascades in the AM. We are trying to decided between the Sounder light rail or taxis in the AM. My friend seems to think we need to cross two busy streets and then go 1/2 way around the King Street Station to get in.

I seem to remember being told that you exit the sounder, cross one street and enter the back of the station to the elevators…

I'm not exactly sure what your itinerary is, so I'll give a brief overview.

The closest Link Light Rail stop is at the International District station. Google maps search for "International District Station, Seattle, WA", or click my link below.

You'll take the escalator/elevator out of the Light Rail/bus station, and you want to cross 4th Avenue (the one busy street) at Weller street. It's a stoplight-controlled crosswalk, so it's safe enough to cross. After crossing, continue straight into a pedestrian-only bridge that goes over the train tracks (look for the covered awning on "weller street" at King Street Station on the Google Maps link below). There will be stairs down into King Street station.

Google Maps link to International District station.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=International+District+Station,+Seattle,+WA&hl=en&ll=47.598144,-122.328311&spn=0.002311,0.00456&sll=47.598209,-122.328461&sspn=0.002807,0.004951&gl=us&t=h&z=18

The Link Light Rail should not be confused with the Sounder commuter trains, which run on heavy rail and actually stop right at King Street Station itself. These trains are used to carry downtown workers into town in the mornings and out of town in the evenings, and do not go to the airport.

Where are you staying? That might have an impact on the "best way" to get to the train station.

Well, the Pioneer Square bus tunnel station (where buses and the light rail run) is only a block away or less. That's the station I'm least familiar with, in terms of where the entrances and exits are, so you might ask for the closest one at the front desk. From the map, it appears there may be an entrance you can hit without crossing the street. Add another one-block-walk after you get out of the tunnel, and it's a free two-block walk to King Street Station. Since you'll be carrying luggage, you'll want to look for the elevators down into and out of the various stations.

The bus/lightrail tunnel is entirely within Seattle's Free Ride Zone. You can pretty much enter the station, walk onto the next southbound bus/lightrail that comes along, and walk off at the next stop (Intern'l District).

As for your Amtrak Cascades trip... if you're heading North, be sure to get a spot on the West side of the train - the side of the train facing the station. You may need to get on a bit early to get one of those seats. Once you get out of downtown Seattle, you'll have an awesome waterfront view of the Puget Sound. If it's in the AM, look for bald eagles perched on pilings in the water, or flying and looking for fish.

For what it's worth... I used to have a commute very similar to what I've suggested here... in the afternoon, I'd leave my office, walk into the bus/lightrail tunnel at Westlake station, free-ride-zone down to International District station, walk across to King Street station, and onto the heavy-rail Sounder train headed north. Tough to beat that commute, especially with the views north of Seattle. :)

The bus/lightrail tunnel is entirely within Seattle's Free Ride Zone. You can pretty much enter the station, walk onto the next southbound bus/lightrail that comes along, and walk off at the next stop (Intern'l District).

Are you telling me that it is free??? :eek:

WAY COOL!!!! :D:):D

Call for a taxi the night before and indicate 5 adults w/ 5 suitcases. I'm sure you'll fit into a minivan. It's only a mile so even if you have a case on your lap, you'll survive.

It may cost $15 with a tip; $3 seems a small price to pay to avoid schlepping suitcases to the city bus stop then to Amtrak.

But if you want the free bus, yes, it's do-able. Here's a link to the Metro Trip Planner. Enter date and the time you want to arrive at the station.

http://tripplanner.kingcounty.gov/cgi-bin/itin_page.pl?resptype=U&origloc=612%202ND%20AVE&destloc=AMTRAK%20-%20KING%20ST%20STATION&date=8%2F6%2F11&daflag=D&time=06%3A30%20pm&maxwalk=.25&min=W&access=N&origx=47.602388&origy=-122.332602&origacode=SEA&destx=47.599196&desty=-122.330290&destacode=SEA

My friend found this:

• Central Link Light Rail is not a part of the Ride Free Area. Pay the Link light rail fare [external link] in the tunnel.

It seems you are correct. I couldn't get your URL to work, but this URL indicates $2 even when travelling between stations in the tunnel. Buses in the tunnel should still be free though. (Sorry for the almost-misinformation - it's been a couple of years since I've worked downtown!)

And depending on how much luggage you have, and depending on your party's ability to carry that luggage, I might get a cab too. As a downtown hotel, there should be a cab line either outside the hotel or nearby, and the concierge should be able to call one for you.

Archived