Oosterdam, aft deck 4, cabin MM4168

agabbymama

I have emailed DBA, but is anyone else familiar with this area of the Oosterdam? On the deck plan, it looks like there is a door to the outside deck just around the corner from this inside cabin.

Anyone have any idea? I can handle the non-smoking in the cabin, if there is access to an outside deck where I could smoke. I CAN'T AFFORD A BALCONY CABIN.:confused:

THANKS FOR ANY INPUT.

Sorry, but I'm 99% sure there is no door there, and the stairs down to the promenade are marked as Crew Only or Emergency - I don't remember which. Cabins 4164 and 4166 have 18 ft wide balconies, and that wouldn't be possible for 4166 if there was a door there.

Sorry, but I'm 99% sure there is no door there, and the stairs down to the promenade are marked as Crew Only or Emergency - I don't remember which. Cabins 4164 and 4166 have 18 ft wide balconies, and that wouldn't be possible for 4166 if there was a door there.

Not what I wanted to hear, but thank you for the info. So much for the $1800 fare on Oosterdam compared to the $3300 fare on the Volendam. I may not be going to New Zealand after all.

As catl331 said that area has no door. It is a stairway only, used by the crew (very infrequently, from what I un derstand).

It is between Staterooms VD 4164 and VD 4166 which have huge verandahs where any door would have been (each are 18 ft long)

The 1st 2 photos below are from VD 4164 on Zuiderdam and the 2nd set of 2 photos are from Noordam VD 4164, but are the same for each of the 4 Vista ships and the 2 Signature ships Except the Signature ship staterooms are 4166 & 4168.)

As you can see, the only door is into the stateroom itself:)

You can click on each photo to see it full sized.

sm-4164-1.jpg--sm-4164-2.jpg

Noordam VD 4164

sm-Noordam_4166-1.jpg--sm-Noordam_4166-2.jpg

Joanie

I want to thank you guys for the info. While it isn't what I wanted to hear, I really do appreciate your posting.

That was the only cabin that was a possibility. There just aren't any with quick, easy access to outer decks.

SO guess I just won't be able to do a cruise. I'm not paying around $5000 for a vacation to be miserable the whole two weeks. Will start researching land vacations now.:(

Not what I wanted to hear, but thank you for the info. So much for the $1800 fare on Oosterdam compared to the $3300 fare on the Volendam. I may not be going to New Zealand after all.
On the Volendam (or any other R class or S class ship) look into the prices of an HH on the Lower Promenade to give yoo fast access to the promenade where smoking is allowed. They're deemed "fully obstructed" (although IMHO many are not), but they have a window so aren't as obstructed as an inside MM! That might be within your budget??

On the Volendam (or any other R class or S class ship) look into the prices of an HH on the Lower Promenade to give yoo fast access to the promenade where smoking is allowed. They're deemed "fully obstructed" (although IMHO many are not), but they have a window so aren't as obstructed as an inside MM! That might be within your budget??

I'll check out those HH cabins. There are lots of cabins available on the Volendam (I found 6 right off the atrium), but at $3000 pp.

If you go down the stairs you have quick access to the Promenade deck -- while it is not the same deck, it is only 30 - 50 steps further

You clearly aren't a smoker. Those 30-50 steps DOWN aren't so much the problem. It's those same 30-50 steps UP that are the killer. Especially if I'm in my PJs.

You clearly aren't a smoker. Those 30-50 steps DOWN aren't so much the problem. It's those same 30-50 steps UP that are the killer. Especially if I'm in my PJs.
How about 4147 or 4148 on the O'dam? They're right next to the elevators up to the Lido deck and out the starboard side to a smoking area. Probably wouldn't want to do it your PJ's though! :)

Again, thank you for the all the suggestions, but I don't think so. I knew my cruising days were numbered when they announced the change in smoking policy.

Right now, NCL still allows smoking in the cabins and on the balcony, but unfortunately they don't go to New Zealand, and that is my last big trip I want to do before retirement.

I'll keep my eye open for any super duper deals, but even the land trips I checked out are over $3000 pp and you'd still have meals and airfare.

So think this plan just went in the circular file.

Happy travels to all.

One last thought - HAL has said it will impose a $250 cleaning fee for people who smoke in their cabin after January 15. Is $1800 pp + $250 appealing to you?

It might be worth thinking about.:D

But I'm going to wait and see what Carnival does with Spirit. It is supposed to be heading to Australia in September, I could get a balcony cabin on her for $2200 for the 17 day cruise from Hawaii to Sydney. Darn. Too bad I'm so set on New Zealand.

I've been to Tahiti, so that and Fiji don't really interest me, nor does 7 days at sea. I'm not really a cruiser, I use the ship more as transportation & a hotel.

I loved HAL the two times we did them in Alaska, but they just price themselves out of my pocketbook. For New England/Canada I wanted to do Maasdam but ended up on Celebrity Constellation for about $1800 less. Did the Med on Grand Princess for about $1500 less than HAL.

While I love HAL ships, and staff, they don't make the cruise for me. I can go on any ship that is going where I want to go, for a price I want to pay. The only ships I REFUSE to sail are RCL Freedom of the Seas, etc. I want no part of those mega monsters. And that seems to be what the new builds are. Even Celebrity Equinox, NCL EPIC, etc. Takes all the fun of sailing out of it for me.

I'm a real budget traveler. The first time I was planning Australia, the travel agent I went to told me to plan $9000-10,000 pp. We did 3 weeks in Australia for about $3000 pp + another $3000 on land, for a grand total of $9000. We did, and bought everything we saw we wanted. And we still brought home $5000 and had to have it converted back to US$.

I'm patient too, I'll wait until just what I want for what I want to pay comes by, or I won't go.

I want to thank you guys for the info. While it isn't what I wanted to hear, I really do appreciate your posting.

That was the only cabin that was a possibility. There just aren't any with quick, easy access to outer decks.

SO guess I just won't be able to do a cruise. I'm not paying around $5000 for a vacation to be miserable the whole two weeks. Will start researching land vacations now.:(

Hate to see you give up a cruise vacation:eek: - please look at the ships that have the Lanai type cabin (ie - Rotterdam). You step out of the sliding glass doors right on to the Promenade. My husband is like you and we found that cabin worked out really great for both of us.

Previous Cruises:

Westerdam - September 2009 - Alaska

Rotterdam - September 2010 - Alaska

Oosterdam - April 2011 - Mexican Riveria

Hate to see you give up a cruise vacation:eek: - please look at the ships that have the Lanai type cabin (ie - Rotterdam). You step out of the sliding glass doors right on to the Promenade. My husband is like you and we found that cabin worked out really great for both of us.

Previous Cruises:

Westerdam - September 2009 - Alaska

Rotterdam - September 2010 - Alaska

Oosterdam - April 2011 - Mexican Riveria

Great idea, unfortunately only Oosterdam and Volendam do New Zealand. But as I stated earlier, haven't given up. Waiting for Carnival Spirit, she's supposed to head down there in Sept 2012. Will price her out. Not on Carnival website yet, so I called. The rep only had the transition cruise available right now. Said to check back in a month or so.

You will love the Carnival Spirit, if it works out for you. Also, check out the 7A cabins - they are obstructed view balconies - you can see out, but not down to the water and are priced really well! Great place to pop out in your PJs :-)

You will love the Carnival Spirit, if it works out for you. Also, check out the 7A cabins - they are obstructed view balconies - you can see out, but not down to the water and are priced really well! Great place to pop out in your PJs :-)

Thank you, I've made a note of that. If it saves money, but still have a balcony, I'm all for that.:D

please look at the ships that have the Lanai type cabin (ie - Rotterdam).
Oosterdam and Volendam do New Zealand
A quick wikipedia check tells me that Volendam is in the same class as the Rotterdam, so it may also have some lanai-type cabins where you can walk from your room onto the Promenade. I haven't checked this on the HAL site itself, but it's worth looking into before you give up.

A quick wikipedia check tells me that Volendam is in the same class as the Rotterdam, so it may also have some lanai-type cabins where you can walk from your room onto the Promenade. I haven't checked this on the HAL site itself, but it's worth looking into before you give up.

Nope Veendam, Rotterdam and Maasdam are the ships that have the Lanai balcony.

Archived