Aft-View Extended Balconies - worth it?

ViolaSwamp

So I was thinking I'd like to upgrade my reservation to an Ocean Suite - figuring that there had to be some sweet perks to go with that, right? WRONG! Not on Carnival anyway, according to my research. I can't believe they don't offer any major perks for shelling out so much cash.

ANYWAY, so that's out, on principle, I'm not going to shell out an extra $1K just for extra space and early boarding privileges. They had better pamper me for that kind of money, dammit!! :p

So I thought I'd consider upgrading to an aft-view extended balcony, the total increase to my currently booked rate would be $330. The only ones that appear to be available for three people for my cruise, are on Deck 6.

In your opinions, what are the pluses/minuses of aft-view extended balconies? This location in particular? Worth an extra $330? We currently have a regular old Category 8C balcony cabin on Deck 7 booked. Which will be absolutely fine! But...please convince me why I should or should not upgrade to an 8M!

Thanks! :)

So I was thinking I'd like to upgrade my reservation to an Ocean Suite - figuring that there had to be some sweet perks to go with that, right? WRONG! Not on Carnival anyway, according to my research. I can't believe they don't offer any major perks for shelling out so much cash.

ANYWAY, so that's out, on principle, I'm not going to shell out an extra $1K just for extra space and early boarding privileges. They had better pamper me for that kind of money, dammit!! :p

So I thought I'd consider upgrading to an aft-view extended balcony, the total increase to my currently booked rate would be $330. The only ones that appear to be available for three people for my cruise, are on Deck 6.

In your opinions, what are the pluses/minuses of aft-view extended balconies? This location in particular? Worth an extra $330? We currently have a regular old Category 8C balcony cabin on Deck 7 booked. Which will be absolutely fine! But...please convince me why I should or should not upgrade to an 8M!

Thanks! :)

If you want to hang out on your own balcony away from the crowds, it's totally worth it. The view is amazing and peaceful. We did an aft wrap on Dream in June and can't imagine going back to a regular balcony again.

Look at that view:

5866517654_d97665a51c.jpg

We're coming up on our third time in an aft on the Conquest on Deck 7.

Points for - the view cant be beat, there's something about watching the wake that helps you get you relaxed. You're at the back of the ship, there are only about eight cabins across the back on each deck so it's very quiet. The extended balcony gives you a lot more room.

Points against - since you're at the back of the ship there isn't a lot of breeze and depending on which way the ships going it can get hot outside. The back of the ship is sloped so the balcony is open to the upper decks, you can have a problem with things being dropped from above. The dividers between the balconies are also sloped so your cabin mates either side can see you. Never bothered me but last go round we had a smoker next door and it ticked DW off.

Depending on the ship you're on check out the deck you're looking at. On the Conquest Deck 6 is over the after lounge, so noise from below, and Deck 8 is below the lido so noise from above, hence we go for Deck 7.

Are they worth it, I would say very much so. Sailaway on the back of the ship with a cold cocktail in hand just can't be beat.

Thank you all for weighing in!

I think the potential for noise disruption, is going to be a dealbreaker. I sleep like the dead, however my DH is a VERY light sleeper. Being one deck up from all the nightlife below, isn't going to work for him. (DD and I would be miserable, by extension :p) That's why I made a point to book our cabin in between two decks of cabins. I should have thought of that one on this too... DUH!! :o

We're coming up on our third time in an aft on the Conquest on Deck 7.

Points for - the view cant be beat, there's something about watching the wake that helps you get you relaxed. You're at the back of the ship, there are only about eight cabins across the back on each deck so it's very quiet. The extended balcony gives you a lot more room.

Points against - since you're at the back of the ship there isn't a lot of breeze and depending on which way the ships going it can get hot outside. The back of the ship is sloped so the balcony is open to the upper decks, you can have a problem with things being dropped from above. The dividers between the balconies are also sloped so your cabin mates either side can see you. Never bothered me but last go round we had a smoker next door and it ticked DW off.

Depending on the ship you're on check out the deck you're looking at. On the Conquest Deck 6 is over the after lounge, so noise from below, and Deck 8 is below the lido so noise from above, hence we go for Deck 7.

Are they worth it, I would say very much so. Sailaway on the back of the ship with a cold cocktail in hand just can't be beat.

I totally agree...aft on Empress was fantastic!

Our favorite cruise was an 8 day out of NYC where we booked an aft cabin (on the 9th I think but I'm not 100% sure). It was absolutely delightful! Looking out the back, at the wake and the gulls flying about, and having a "front seat" view of the disappearing Statue of Liberty and NYC was wonderful. I still remember it clearly and it was worth every penny. It was our travel agent's suggestion. When we'd wake (we're early risers) there was some kind of protective(?) net over the back balcony but they'd take it down at a pretty reasonable hour. Not sure what that was all about. maybe someone else can enlighten us. But it wasn't a problem for us. We were also close to our laundry facilities so that was super handy as well.

Enjoy

We just did an aft extended on deck 6 on the Splendor. By far the best cabin I ever had. I knew about the noise before hand, but we are usually in the lounge at night any way for the adult comedy, so we never had an issue with the noise. Most the time we never even noticed.

I am now completly hooked on the aft-extended.

We were just on the Liberty in July and had our first aft wrap room on deck 6. It was the best room we have ever had. There was no noise at all from the Lounge, I would book the same room again on any of the conquest class ships. Have a great cruise.

We just came back from an Aft-extended and now I'm spoiled for life...

It's like being on your own private cruise ship. The peace and quiet, the wake, all that space.... Heaven!

Being on the 8th floor below the Lido Deck, we expected noise (lightsleeper over here). No noise whatsoever.

Next cruise(s) -- definitely 8M or 8N. More than worth it!!

Love the aft extended.

It is quiet and private.

The bar is right thru the door and the price for a drink can't be beat

No kids running around

It is kind of like your own personal serenity area but the plus side is I can smoke which is not allowed in the actual serenity area.

I originally booked our CCL cruise with an inside porthole. I then "upgraded" to oceanview, then balcony. Finally, I moved from balcony to Deck 7 aft-extended and am SO EXCITED to possibly having my own lounge chair! For about a few weeks now, ALL aft-extended and premium balconies are FULLY BOOKED and we still have 3 months to go behore the cruise!

I'm so excited. It cost an extra $300 (from our orignial inside) total for 2 but so worth it (it's a 5-day cruise).

On our cruise in November 2012 via RCCL, I didn't bother starting out with inside and went right to booking an aft-wrap extended! The wraps are the same price as the aft-extended (we booked super early).

I probably wouldn't change to aft if it were the ships with crossbars and obstructed views though. Can't wait for my aft-balcony on Destiny! The view is spectacular.

This will be our 3rd aft balcony, there is no going back once you have been there. The last was P&O baltic cruise each night sittong on the balcony watch the sun set behind you as you travel to the next port with a scotch on your hand. Cant beet it

We have just booked out next cruise aft extended on Carnival Breeze (already missed out on the 2 aft cabins and we are 14 months away).

It looks like I am in the minority here. We had an aft wrap on Conquest last year, and while it was amazing having that huge balcony and a lounger and the option of being on the back or the side, I don't think I would spend the extra money to get one again. A "regular old" balcony is all we really need, and that money can be spent elsewhere.

We have had aft cabins 9 times. (that was before carnival reconfigured cabins) Our favorite aft was Princess)

I now no longer can afford them since I like vacations.

there will be a longer walk to the stairs/elevators but the halls back here are more quiet as people on a cruse do not go where they do not have to.

aft balconies tend to stay warm- there is no ocean breezes back here.

but the view is amazing- the balcony is bigger then whats offered on the side

We have had aft balconies on deck 6 and no noise issues but that was before the made the comedy clubs

Had an aft extended on the Spirit last November- we've always loved balconies but this took things to a whole new level. Saw so much more marine life, very quiet and private (we had zero noise issues), incredible view. Would have a hard time going back to a regular balcony now.

Archived