Spirit in Alaska

Princess123

I have had a quick look on the Alaska specific website but can anyone who has cruised on a Spirit Vancouver R/T cruise advise whether a port or starboard cabin is the better option? I read that on a southbound cruise the port side is better but not sure whether this would be the case on a roundtrip. I am looking at the early May cruise which includes Glacier Bay (but my geography is so bad I can't figure out whether the ship would be going north or south bound on Glacier Bay day!). Also, any recommendations on specific balcony cabins? Thanks for any help you can give.

Princess123,

I cruised on the Spirit to Glacier Bay in Sept. 08 & 09. First cruise was on the port side cabin 8124. The ship entered Glacier Bay and cruised the west(port) side of the bay. (clockwise). Sooo..the following year..I booked cabin 8126(port)...and the ship hugged the EAST side(counterclockwise). When the ship arrives at the largest glacier it sits there for approximately 25-30 minutes..then turns around...for 25-30 minutes so the other side of the ship can view the glacier.

I prefer having a cabin toward the front of the ship..but NOT right below the lido deck. Be sure to bring raingear and an umbrella. Your camera will get a LOT of use.....the scenery is INCREDIBLE!!! IMHO if you're going to Alaska...get a balcony!! Have a wonderful cruise!!! I can't wait to go back for a 3rd time!!

Are you talking about the 5/1 cruise next year out of Vancouver? It ends in Seattle, as far as I know the Spirit doesn't do any round trips out of Vancouver.

I have been trying to figure out the port vs starboard thing too. I have read that starboard is better for north bound inside passage (on the way back I don't think the Spirit cruises inside passage - it looks like they go on the west side of Vancouver Island). But that port is better when in Glacier Bay. I don't know! If you want to really cover your bets you can get an aft. Last week when I called there were only 2 left, so don't dawdle! :)

Book a rear balcony and you get to see both sides :)

We sailed Spirit in 2007 and booked a corner suite and had 270degree view. If you don't want to splur on the suite a rear balcony is the best. You can see both sides of the passage.

Bon Voyage!

We had two portside balconies on our Spirit Inside Passage cruise last summer (one was our's and one was for friends of ours), and the views were absolutely incredible! We were able to see EVERYTHING while going through Tracy Arm Fijord (feeling the ship spin 360 degrees was amazing!), and we had port side views at each of the stops we had. It was one hell of a cruise and we cannot wait to go back! Definitely bring binoculars, and if you can afford it, splurge for the balcony - it's the only way to savor everything you will be seeing!

Although we did not do Glacier Bay in Alaska, we did see some incredible views from our port side balcony cabin for the Alaska cruise r/t out of Seattle. But.... I couldn't get enough of the amazing scenery so I would go up to the sun deck with my camera and get some awsome panoramic shots.

Either side, I'm sure you are in for some magnificent views!

Archived