Help! New England Cruise with kids, fairly NEW!

jbella2010

Hi-

We are planning to take kids (3 yr & 1 yr) on a cruise to New England, but really really NEED help with figuring out ship! It's between NCL Jewel (thought this one would be great with characters, but not best reviews), Carnival Glory (took a Carnival out of Tampa, 1st & only cruise -and just gross experience), RCCL Jewel of the Seas, vacation advisor said not as kid friendly, but have read food is good, etc.

We are planning to sail in October and really want to book soon, but I have been researching till 1 am every night and grow more confused :confused:

Any info will be appreciated!!

Yes, that's what some friends have told me as well - that RCCL has great food, etc. But do they have a lot for a 3yr old to do or should we opt for NCL with the characters? Our goal is to have everyone happy, including my husband who is leaving this all to me...

I'd do the RCCL Jewel in a heartbeat....

We've done a lot of RCCL cruises including on the Jewel, and it is one of our favorite ships. I took my DD on her first cruise when she was 13 months and the staff were fantastic.

Your 3 yr old can go to Adventure Ocean if he/she is potty trained although our DD tends to prefer to stay with us (even now as she is almost 8).

Good luck with your decision,

Wendy

I have been on NCL Jewel and CCL Glory and enjoyed both. My kids were much older than yours though. We took our kids on Disney when DD was 4 and she loved all the characters. If I were looking to cruise with a 3 year old I would probably go with NCL Jewel for the characters. Especially if your 3 yo likes Nickleodian. Have fun no matter what you choose.

We went on a New England cruise with our then-2 year old. We went RCI, and loved it. They had activities for her even though she couldn't do Adventure Ocean (too young) and there was no water play for her (no baby pool on the Grandeur which we were on) but in New England, while the ship is moving especially, it is doubtful you would want to go to the pool very often. (it gets super windy and a bit chilly). Our daughter loved the excursions. We found everyone on land very accomodating regarding putting strollers on the tour buses, etc. We took our large jogging stroller that reclines all the way back so she could nap when necessary.

We also have been on RCI Explorer of the Seas for a Caribbean cruise last February with our then-3 year old and then-almost-1 year old.

I think for a 3 year old (and certainly a 1 year old) the characters are not necessary. They will have a great time running around the ship. You can take toys out of the "toy library" and there are some kids books in the library you can take out. Usually the bar provides a great place to let the kids blow off some steam during the day - there is no one there and they can run around on the ramps, the dance floor, etc.

The playgroups that RCI sets up every day for the younger age groups are great - the kids play with toys, you learn about the other stuff they have to offer for your age kid, and you meet other families with kids your kids' ages, so you can have playdates on board.

Enjoy!!

PS - with that age group, sleep schedule goes out the window - our daughter (the 3 year old) fell asleep to "Little People" cartoons every night at god-knows-what-time! :)

We took Princess with a 2 1/2 year old and an 8 month old. We had a great experience. Staff were wonderful and we had great excursions. But Princess is NOT a family friendly line. We visited Sydney, Halifax, PEI, Boston, Newport and Bar Harbor. Happy to provide port/excursion feedback if you are interested.

I think you need a new vacation advisor. Royal Caribbean is widely regarded as one of the MOST kid friendly lines. EM

Yeah that's what I was thinking. ;)

jbella - if you had a "gross experience" on Carnival, then rule it out.

Are you talking about THIS October? Because you have a 1 year old, I know you are going to pay less on NCL. I've been on a tour of NCL Jewel and it was nice. If the price was right - I would have no problem sailing it over RCI Jewel.

I am doing NCL Gem in October because it was a 1/3 of the cost of RCI Enchantment for the same itinerary. So with all of my rambling, that's my answer.

If price is the SAME - I would book RCI. If price is as different as it was in my case, then I would have NO PROBLEM going with NCL.

Hi-

We are planning to take kids (3 yr & 1 yr) on a cruise to New England, but really really NEED help with figuring out ship! It's between NCL Jewel (thought this one would be great with characters, but not best reviews), Carnival Glory (took a Carnival out of Tampa, 1st & only cruise -and just gross experience), RCCL Jewel of the Seas, vacation advisor said not as kid friendly, but have read food is good, etc.

We are planning to sail in October and really want to book soon, but I have been researching till 1 am every night and grow more confused :confused:

Any info will be appreciated!!

I really like MSC and with them kids cruise free (you will only pay port charges for the 3yr old) they have great kids club etc.. A couple on their honeymoon had little ones the same age as yours and they found a perfect holiday with lots of free time and very content little ones. :)

Archived