Livorno port to ? - done Florence

bluebird watcher

Strikes are not always announced - please don't give anyone the false impression that it will be easy, especially first timers. Or, make sure you give yourself plenty of time - even with a car/driver there is a lot of traffic.

Strikes are mostly announced.

And I have to disagree with you -- I have now helped several first-timers successfully visit Italy (and other ports) from a cruise ship using public transportation. They have come back and reported having a ball.

Is it "easy," maybe not. Is it "difficult"? No.

• 2 months later...

Hank we rented a car this past July and visited San Gimignano and Volterra. Loved both of these but the hair pin turns made us a bit car sick after awhile (or else my dh was just a bad driver ;) We hit some serious delays on our way back to the ship and will have to allow for this on the next trip too!

We have been to Pisa, Lucca and Florence - where would you recommend that we try next and what sort of roads are they for those of us who get a little car sick.

Are there other Hill towns you recommend or somewhere else?

thanks

Hank we rented a car this past July and visited San Gimignano and Volterra. Loved both of these but the hair pin turns made us a bit car sick after awhile (or else my dh was just a bad driver ;) We hit some serious delays on our way back to the ship and will have to allow for this on the next trip too!

We have been to Pisa, Lucca and Florence - where would you recommend that we try next and what sort of roads are they for those of us who get a little car sick.

Are there other Hill towns you recommend or somewhere else?

thanks

We are really happy to hear that your July tripped went well. Volterra is one of those places, often skipping by cruise passengers, which is a real gem. There are other small towns in the area (such as Colle val d'Elsa) but perhaps you might have more fun expanding your horizons. If you have not yet been to Siena (we consider this about the furthest one should go on a port day) you might want to work that into another driving itinerary. For something a bit different (especially if you are wine lovers) you might want to consider the "Wine Road" which is the S222 route that connects Florence to Siena. This particular road takes you through the heart of the Chianti wine district and is mostly rural countryside (quite picturesque). There are a few small villages along the route and quite a few small vineyards. If you rented a car and got an early start you might be able to head directly to the S222 (intersect it just south of Florence), drive south to Siena and start back towards Livorno pretty early in the afternoon. Depending on your time you could use some back roads on the return trip and perhaps visit more smaller villages.

By the way, since you had such a good time in July you might want to consider a future driving trip in Italy. Over 25 years ago we did our first cruise to Italy and rented our first car (in Italy) in Livorno. As a result of that wonderful day (similar to yours) we have returned many times for driving vacations (more then 10,000 miles within Italy) and have never tired of that kind of trip.

Hank

Thanks Hank - I will print this information out! You are always a weath of information and it is appreciated!

We love to travel and have a done a few trips to Italy and my dh is just getting used to the driving there - our son who just turned 10 is seeing the world - lucky guy!

• 2 weeks later...
We are arriving for a 6:00AM-6:00PM day on 10/9/11 with Ruby Princess. We have visited Florence before and would like to head in another direction using public transportation. I dislike ship tours and am willing to get to the bus or train stations and back to port. Have done Cinque Terra also and trying not to repeat places-yet. Is Sienna possible? Tuscany towns? Many thanks!

Hi we hired a car (Fiat 500) with Avis (Thomas Lenzi) and drove from Livorno down to Montepulciano which was beautiful. We were going to go to Volterra because we are huge Twilight fans but found out even though its mentioned in the book the film was shot in Montepulciano. The buildings were used and they have photographs and shops everywhere selling souvenirs but not enough to spoil the gorgeous place.

Car cost us 99 euro with sat nav and maps and it took us about 2 hours there and same back but we went to Pisa on way back to ship. Was a long day but Tuscany is so beautiful.:)

• 6 months later...
We are also in Livorno for 1 day, have never been there before, but done Pisa, Florence, Lucca etc.

Is there nothing to see, do in Livorno ?

Hi!

We too, have visited Lucca an Pisa. we'll be in Livorno on 12/07/2012, sailing on the Celebrity Solstice. don't fancy travelling to Florence. i'm sure there are some interesting spots to visit in Livorno. i've heard of the canals( you can take a cruise on them), the sea front. What about museums? churches? cathedrals? the old part of town? Any idea?

Thanks for your help

jacques O, in Paris.

Hi!

We too, have visited Lucca an Pisa. we'll be in Livorno on 12/07/2012, sailing on the Celebrity Solstice. don't fancy travelling to Florence. i'm sure there are some interesting spots to visit in Livorno. i've heard of the canals( you can take a cruise on them), the sea front. What about museums? churches? cathedrals? the old part of town? Any idea?

Thanks for your help

jacques O, in Paris.

Try a trip to Cinque Terre (five lands) as an alternative. It is amazing. We did a private tour with Joe banana limos. They were the best price and their website is joebananalimos.net. We were very pleased with the guide and their professionalism.

• 4 months later...
I'm not sure where you're getting your information about Italian trains being notorious for striking. That strikes can happen -- no argument. However, I respectfully disagree that strikes happen with the frequency your posts suggests. At the very least, both the French and the Italians have the charming habit of announcing in advance when they will be striking. This gives folks who had planned to use public transportation a chance to make alternative arrangements. That certainly was case of the most recent strike; this board had advance information and folks contributed advice about coping strategies.

Anyone who is using the train to go anywhere on a DIY excursion should be prepared with phone numbers of taxi companies and the port agent as a back up. This has nothing to do with strikes. This is just common sense.

We have taken many trains in Italy and have never been late. I quess it can happen, but hasn't happened to us!

Archived