Carnival excursion in Belize

urbanhawk

I've tried to do as much research as possible, but have not found the answer I'm looking for. I am considering doing Carnival's shore excursion to the Xunantunich ruins in Belize on my next cruise. Perhaps someone who has done this excursion, will know the answer. Once you get to the river, and cross it on the ferry, is there transportation provided to the ruins, or does everyone just take the mile walk/hike? (I posted this several days ago on the Belize board-no responses). Thanks in advance....:cool:

We did this excursion through Carnival in June and after you cross the river on the hand cranked ferry, there are vans to take you the rest of the way to the ruins. Up a hill to a parking lot. You only have to walk maybe 150 ft. This is a terrific excursion. It does take the entire day and everything is provided. Bottled water (2) and a wonderful lunch before the ride back to the ship. We were late getting back to the Dream, but not a problem since it was a Carnival excursion. You surely won't be disappointed in this excursion. It's breathtaking.

We did this excursion through Carnival in June and after you cross the river on the hand cranked ferry, there are vans to take you the rest of the way to the ruins. Up a hill to a parking lot. You only have to walk maybe 150 ft. This is a terrific excursion. It does take the entire day and everything is provided. Bottled water (2) and a wonderful lunch before the ride back to the ship. We were late getting back to the Dream, but not a problem since it was a Carnival excursion. You surely won't be disappointed in this excursion. It's breathtaking.

This is the exact info I was needing-thanks so much! I am wanting to take my mom (she turns 88 on Sunday)-she could probably out walk me on the mile walk ;), but glad there are vans....Since it's a ship excursion, I know the Conquest won't leave without us. (Where in PA. do you live? I was born and raised in Huntingdon-my family all still back there). Thanks again.:cool:

We also did this excursion, it was great! You get to climb to the top where the views are awesome! Then there is a set of stone steps that go down inside, very cool! The lunch was really yummy too. Here's a pic

180157_1424943323787_1838896433_797177_6617881_n.jpg

We also did this excursion, it was great! You get to climb to the top where the views are awesome! Then there is a set of stone steps that go down inside, very cool! The lunch was really yummy too. Here's a pic

180157_1424943323787_1838896433_797177_6617881_n.jpg

Thanks, Robin-great pic! I saw Tulum and Chichen Itza back in the 80's, so now I can add this to my "bucket list" of Mayan ruins-my ultimate one to see one day will be Tikal in Guatemala-maybe I'll be able to see it, if I climb to the top of this pyramid?!;)

Thanks, Robin-great pic! I saw Tulum and Chichen Itza back in the 80's, so now I can add this to my "bucket list" of Mayan ruins-my ultimate one to see one day will be Tikal in Guatemala-maybe I'll be able to see it, if I climb to the top of this pyramid?!;)

Actually you can see Gautemala from the top, it's only to 2 miles from the border!183171_1425842386263_1838896433_798495_2251103_n.jpg

When I did this CCL tour last January, we walked up the road after the ferry crossing. First stop was the "ranger station" where we gathered around a topographical map and got some background and history on this site. Then another walk onto the actual grounds.

The walk up the main temple that's pictured here can be intimidating for anyone with balance or height sensitivity. The stairs are uneven, narrow, and there are no guardrails, so be careful. The view from the top is worth it.

I would recommend Xanantunich over Altun Ha anyday.

When I did this CCL tour last January, we walked up the road after the ferry crossing. First stop was the "ranger station" where we gathered around a topographical map and got some background and history on this site. Then another walk onto the actual grounds.

The walk up the main temple that's pictured here can be intimidating for anyone with balance or height sensitivity. The stairs are uneven, narrow, and there are no guardrails, so be careful. The view from the top is worth it.

I would recommend Xanantunich over Altun Ha anyday.

I agree it was scary but well worth the climb if you can manage. We went in October and the humidty was dreadful. Here's a pic of the climb to the top 185941_1425842066255_1838896433_798494_2676644_n.jpg180103_1425841786248_1838896433_798493_7888596_n.jpg

Archived