Medication Question

SULLJO

Does Celebrity require that prescriptive medications be brought onto the cruise in their original packaging. I am travelling with my father and he wants to bring the medication he takes daily in a 14 day pill dispenser vs. the pharmacy bottles. Thanks.

I always just use a similar device to hold 7 days of pills without keeping them in the pharmacy bottle. But, if he uses some legal, controlled medications, like Vicodin or Oxycodone he should keep them in the pharmacy container with his name on it.

Does Celebrity require that prescriptive medications be brought onto the cruise in their original packaging. I am travelling with my father and he wants to bring the medication he takes daily in a 14 day pill dispenser vs. the pharmacy bottles. Thanks.

It's not the cruise line, it's the authorities (customs, homeland security, etc.) of each country on the itinerary that could potentially be the concern. To avoid the small possibility of an officer confiscating pills, it's always best to take them in the original containers (they should have labels as well as prescription info).

Side note: ensure to pack medications or any other very important items in your carry on luggage just in case your checked luggage is delayed.

It's much safer to bring the pills in their original containers. There was someone on the disabled board who had their heart medicine taken away by some agent on a power trip because he (the agent) couldn't "recognize" them.

I had an accident on a ship and took my medicine with me to the infirmary. The doctor commented that she was glad so see I had them in original containers, because otherwise she'd have to confiscate them.

I take a 7 day dispenser and also take the original bottles in case I get delayed of something happens. Always take original bottles to be sure.

We have been all over Europe and Asia and no customs person has ever asked to see meds or bottles.

If you're flying to the port, the TSA could cause you problems if the meds aren't in their original containers. Even though it's not supposed to be part of their job, they still make it their business. I, and members of my family, have been stopped by TSA and asked about our meds. My dad had a major problem because he had his meds in the days of the week container. The TSA guy was a real pain and examined all the pills. I've seen a TSA agent take an old woman's pills in those containers and dump them out on those filthy tables.

I know that your are supposed to have prescriptions in their original containers and that customs and TSA can cause problems if you do not.

With that said I've always packed mine in "daily" containers or small plastic pill bags (like mini zip lock bags). I have a set for mornings and one for evenings with my prescription meds and a whole mess of supplements I take. I've never had any issues or questions about any of them. I guess I just live on the edge.

We always bring our prescription and otc medications in the containers in which they were purchased because it usually eliminates an questions. One time we were coming back from Amsterdam and security went through my carry on and opened my case containing my medications. At first they were suspicious but when they realized everything was in its proper packaging they were ok with it. I think, had they not been in the proper packaging they would have taken they away from me. :)

It is actually Federal Law that prescription medication remain in the container it is dispensed in. While those pill dispenser certainly make it convenient, the hassle if you are stopped by the police and they cannot identify your medication is just NOT worth it.

If you speak to your local pharmacist they will ALL confirm that at least several times a week if not once per day the police come in with a pill and ask them to identify it for them as part of a traffic stop or arrest they are doing. As someone else mentioned, encountering a rogue TSA agent (and there are too many) isn't worth it either.

Dad will be much safer medically and legally on the cruise if he leaves his medication in the original bottles. If he has a medical crisis and cannot communicate you have no bottles to refer to in order to tell medical personnel what he is taking, in what amounts and dosage. Have him bring the organizer and sort in the stateroom if he still wishes for daily convenience, but traveling with unidentifiable medication is not advisable at all.

We have done 30+ cruises and never have the 'daily' container aroused interest! the laptop or multi tool in carryons is a different matter! We do carry a doctors prescription with us though.

We have had one or two 'jobsworths' at check in on this side of the pond too!

Richard

I know that your are supposed to have prescriptions in their original containers and that customs and TSA can cause problems if you do not.

With that said I've always packed mine in "daily" containers or small plastic pill bags (like mini zip lock bags). I have a set for mornings and one for evenings with my prescription meds and a whole mess of supplements I take. I've never had any issues or questions about any of them. I guess I just live on the edge.

I pack mine in those small zip lock bags also. Then I go to my mail order pharmacies web site and print a list of all my prescription drugs. It shows the name, strength, date, and doctor who prescribed the drug. I carry the list as confirmation. However I have never been asked about medication, nor had to pull out my list.

In the news this morning is a report about TSA taking someone's insulin. In the article it mentions how much stricter TSA has gotten with medications going through. I would take it in the original bottles and fix the daily containers with the week's supply once I got onboard.

I pack mine in those small zip lock bags also. Then I go to my mail order pharmacies web site and print a list of all my prescription drugs. It shows the name, strength, date, and doctor who prescribed the drug. I carry the list as confirmation. However I have never been asked about medication, nor had to pull out my list.

While 95% of the time most people have no problems and TSA (except those rogue agents) and cruise security have no interest in what "grandma and grandpa" or most retirees are carrying in their pill carriers, it isn't really on the cruise ship where you may find the most trouble.

It is on the road when travelling that will buy you the MOST trouble. When driving to the cruise ports or driving around town with those baggies in your purse, it is the RANDOM traffic stop that gets people in legal trouble that can be devastating. If a search is done and they are found the officer is under NO obligation to accept your "list" as proper identification of those pills in the baggie and can at that point arrest you for possession of controlled substance. It has happened on MANY occasions and then you are left to defend the criminal charge at great expense. Even if dismissed by the DA, it can cost thousands to hire an attorney to defend the court appearances until it is thrown out. You are still left with an arrest record and possibly having to pay bail to get out of jail until the hearings conclude.

Everyone likes to think "sure that happens but not to people like me" but in reality the class of people selling controlled substances at the fastest increasing rate is the 50+ and older crowd. They have doctors that write for pain medication easily, have more surgeries where they get it, and they have fixed incomes in many cases and a need for quick cash. Middle class addicts know to score quick access to narcotics finding an older person to "score" off of is easier than street hustlers and likely cheaper. The cops now know it too and LOOK for those purse baggies on the traffic stops. So ask yourself: is the convenience of living on the edge worth it?

It doesn't take up that much room

You obviously don't use Medco for your prescriptions. They ship all prescriptions in huge bottles, even if you want 30 tiny pills...(I assume that they use a common bottle for everything to cut costs). As far as I know, you can not request smaller bottles. It doesn't take too many pills for this to amount to "that much room" when you are trying to pack in smaller lighter bags.

I use the mini-bags too and have never had a problem. I put one days medicine in each bag and put all the mini-bags in a larger zip lock bag and keep that in my carry on. Maybe because they are in clear plastic bags, it's not a problem because I am not trying to hide them.

I would suggest you do whatever makes you feel comfortable.

You obviously don't use Medco for your prescriptions. They ship all prescriptions in huge bottles, even if you want 30 tiny pills...(I assume that they use a common bottle for everything to cut costs). As far as I know, you can not request smaller bottles. It doesn't take too many pills for this to amount to "that much room" when you are trying to pack in smaller lighter bags.

Good point, I have Medco and if I took all my prescription bottles, I would need a separate carryon. The bottles are BIG

We use medco too, wish we could request some small travel size bottles with the information on them!

Last trip I counted out the pills, plus a couple extra of each and put them all in the same pill bottle, this worked for me.

I am considering just packing them all this trip since I have read so many medication stories involving the TSA lately:eek:

We are flying SW so no issues with overpacked luggage:D

Bev

We use the mini zip bags as well and pack them all in a quart size zip lock bag. The extra precaution we take to pack a full cruise supply of meds in both the carry-on and the check baggage. This way if one is confiscated we would most likely have a back up supply. We also take 3 days extra over the cruise length as well.

I agree with CelebrityDave - you'd need an extra carry on for the 90 day supply bottles - they are about 5 inches high and about 1 1/2 or 2 " in diameter. I use the 7 day containers but I then take a list tracking the name of the medication, the script number, the doctor that wrote the scrip, how often & when I take it, and Cataylst (or Medco) 1-800-number, plus I list any vitamens. That way it is easy to count them up & match every compartment to the pills. TSA has been fine with that and that 1/2 sheet of paper takes up almost no room compared to the bottles. I also always keep that list in my purse - just in case of any emergency, EMS should always know what you take.

Intereesting for sure.I have never had a problem on any cruise. However yesterday in the paper a TSA agent in Denver would not let a woman thru security with her insulin, took it from her. She had the orginal pres and a note from her doctor but hr sdtsill took it said it could be dangerous. There is nothing in the tsa rules that allowed him to do it and they are now suing. It won't be any problem comming on the ship but airport tds are not all that friendly. I'm a atty and this is how they gov gets itself in problems. The rules stae clearly she should have been able to carry the insulin thue the check point.:)

Archived