what are the must do's

Ms. T

First real vacation in years and don't want to miss a thing. What are the must do's in Port Canaveral, Nassau & Freeport? Anyone been to the "straw market"? I would love to pick up a nice straw hat for my daughters.

in nassau u can take a dollar fairy to the alantis hotel which has an amazing aquarium . if u want to spend around 200 u can swim with the dolphins . the straw market has good deals on some stuff. remember dont buy anything at asking price. if they say 30 dollars you can get it for 20.

In Nassau, we will usually try and navigate a self-guided walking tour. We poached the one we use from Zydeco Cruiser's website.

We have done Atlantis once. I guess I am an extremely cheap old **** as I thought it was a waste of time and money. I enjoyed looking at the yachts parked outside the property much more.

Be advised that every bit of the straw goods in the Straw Market is made in China. Also, virtually all the "name brand" goods are counterfeit. We check out the island shirts and the junk jewelry. We do bargain and sometimes actually get one. We also keep an eye out for interesting toys for the grandkids.

Oh yes, in Freeport, we took a general tour of the city and environs. The driver/guide we had was great. He was worth the price of admission just for being so pleasant.

Doc

What do you like to do? That is the first question. You can very easily get off the ship, walk straight to the straw market and buy the hat, then go on an excursion. If you like the touristy thing, I have heard a lot of people love the walking tour, like someone else mentioned. If you like to swim and want to be in the water, I highly recommend Stuart Cove's ultimate snorkel excursion in Nassau. The water is beautiful and you get to see tons of marine life...I will do that again on another trip to Nassau.

I disagree that all the goods in the straw market are made in China...I sat and watched a lady put together the straw bag right in front of me...yes, the fake Coach, Gucci, Kate Spade bags are certainly shipped in, but some of the stuff is made there.

I went to Port Lucaya in Freeport but didn't find it all that impressive...same stuff you can buy at the straw market in Nassau, but you can get it cheaper in Nassau. It was very hot when we went in June, and it would have been nice to have a nice van with a driver to just take us around for a tour of the island.

If you are looking for rest and relaxation, I might actually suggest staying on board when you go to Port Canaveral...that's what we did on our cruise...the ship was virtually vacant, and we went to the spa for the port day specials, went to the pool, napped...it was great and very relaxing to be quite alone onboard. I know Port Canaveral can be very busy if you try to do Disney or something else in Orlando (which is also quite pricey)...but if you want to get out and about, a lot of people take the shuttles over to Cocoa Beach.

I hope you have a great time! It sounds like you are definitely due for a vacation!!!

First real vacation in years and don't want to miss a thing. What are the must do's in Port Canaveral, Nassau & Freeport? Anyone been to the "straw market"? I would love to pick up a nice straw hat for my daughters.

In Port Canaveral we had a wonderful day at Kennedy Space Center. In Nassau one time we did the Dolphin encounter (spectacular) and another time did the Atlantis Aquaventure..which I highly recommend. It was a real fun time on the water stuff & the aquarium is just gorgeous. The whole Atlantis property of outstanding.

Sorry, have never been to Freeport. Enjoy your cruise!

Port Canaveral: Great seafood places at the port, Rustys, Grills, the bar outside at Millican's Reef. Don't eat inside. Go to Coconuts on the beach in Cocoa Beach. Go to Ron Jon's surf shop. Eat at Florida Seafood Grill by Ron Jon's. Try the Gator. Go on a Airboat ride! Really fun. Go to Kennedy Space Center. Great beaches!

Well first off, I hope you have a great cruise. I have to agree with others - don't overwhelm yourself with plans & schedules. Just take it easy & day by day! :)

As far as ports go.. I've only sailed out of Port Canaveral, never visited it as a port. But since Cocoa Beach is relatively close, I'd recommend that. I think visiting Disney would be too much & you wouldn't have enough time to make the most of it. Staying on board the ship isn't a bad idea either. You'll be able to enjoy the ship's on board features without all the people.

Nassau.. I just visited Nassau this past June. We like to visit beaches since my little one cruises with us, so we went to Blue Lagoon. This excursion took up our whole day in Nassau, so if you want to do shopping, this probably wouldn't work for you. But it's a beautiful place, and includes lunch. You can pay extra to swim with dolphins or do a sea lion encounter. Either way, you can still see the animals for free. Atlantis is very nice & the resort offers a lot, you could walk around there, see their aquarium and then visit the Straw Market on the way back. Always negotiate. Never settle for asking price!

Freeport.. Never been here so I don't have any advice!

First thing...relax:D. Everything that you want to do will be at your fingertips. If you overplan, you may miss something. Check out the port talks. Sometimes they have great info.

You 'must' order breakfast from room service and enjoy it in bed on at least one day.

It's a Carnival rule.

In Port Canaveral you can visit Kennedy Space Center or take an airboat ride. Lots of fun. We are headed to Port Canaveral this afternoon to watch the Dream sail away.:D

Space Center is a must. I mean we just kissed goodbye to the shuttles, part of history, American History.

On board-tea! On any sea day there is a tea, wonderful sweets, a nice relaxing time.

Nassau, spent a week there years ago, have cruised there twice-going to do a fourth visit in a few months. Done Blue Lagoon, done the beach for a week, done Blackbeards Cay-visitied the cloisters-absolutely beautiful! Not an excursion.

I'm not a shopper, I am a buyer though. My souveniers are more like carved wooded bowls purchased on an island while snorkeling rather than got the knock off bag in Nassau:) Straw market-TOURIST TRAP, not an attraction if you know what I mean.

Freeport-Never been wish I have, there is an excursion through Carnival that takes you out to a Reserve, only open during low tide, would love to do that.

First cruise? Too much to do? No worries, you will be hooked and be cruising again in no time. You can't do it all. Just have fun!:)

It really depends on your interest -

On the ship - have a drink of the day, go and see a show at night (you'll be amazed) dress up for your formal night (doesn't have to be in gowns and tuxes), take a photo on the ship from the many photographers and buy one as a little token of your trip.

Nassau first time there, you need to walk to the straw market. You can either do that before your day begins or after. You can go to many beaches; we like to to the Sheraton and buy day pass - walk the beach and then hit the market before getting back on the ship. we have been so many times that this is our things to do - you may want to experience Atlantis since you have never been before.

Freeport - I would recommend Our Lucaya; when you first get into Freeport it is not attractive but take either a ship sponsored tour or a taxi over to Our Lucaya. You can do a bit of shopping and have lunch or walk across the street and relax on the beach. If you bring a beach towel there is no charge or they will rent you lounge chairs on the beach - there is a restaurant there for beverages.

Its really hard to recommend since we don't know your interest - enjoy your trip!

Archived