Does RCCL take black & white pictures?

On the Radiance last month, they took very casual B & W pictures. People were sitting on the floor and lying down or standing. You had a choice of Black or White background as well.

They came out very nice.

Sharonna

We were on the Jewel 3/6 and they did take black and white pictures. They did this on a non formal night. They used a little white couch. My daughter and her friends had it done. It came out great and we bought it. It is a nice idea because you don't often do pix in black and white.

Sue

Thanks for the replies. I didn't think I would like the black & white, but it looked so different. And hanging in my wall collage at home, everyone notices it & remarks on it. Mine was actually done on formal night, so a casual one is perfect!

They're black and white, only in color. What I mean by that is the photos are taken with a digital camera, in color, but printed in grayscale.

It is not the same effect as a true black and white picture.

Hucc -- Are you sure they were shooting with digital? It sounds like you're describing C41 film, which is B&W film that is designed to be printed on color processing paper. The result is a "softer" B&W picture with more grays. If you're shooting this type of film at home, the advantages are that any drug-store place can process it and it costs the same as color processed film. It can even be printed in one hour. You can even get this type of film in disposable cameras.

True B&W film costs $$$$, and is very trendy right now. It gives a much clearer, crisper image -- the blacks are black and the whites are white -- not much grey. Also, it's processed with different chemicals, and most drug-store type places can't do it in-house. They send it out, and it takes about a week to get back. It also costs about $20 to develop a roll. Most people, when they see the two types side by side, prefer the true B&W; though most people don't realize there's a difference unless they see them side by side. You can shoot this type of film in any camera (even a simple point-and-shoot), though you'll get best results with a good SLR camera and an orange or red filter. Good B&W photography is a bit different from color photography, and it takes a bit of practice. The best hint I have: be careful of your background -- keep it very simple, or it will compete with your subject. A cruise, with its ocean views and beach stops, would be ideal for shooting your own B&W.

Okay, this is getting long-winded . . . if the photographer was shooting digital, then the picture can be reprinted in color, B&W, sepia tones (browns, think old west), or anything else inbetween. You could choose to have the very same picture printed in color wallets and a large B&W for framing. It's very simple to retouch your digital pictures, or to print them in B&W and colorize just an accent here and there for a very old-fashioned look. This is pricey in the stores, but you can do it yourself with a $30 computer program. So, I suppose my long-winded point is this: Ask if the photographer is shooting digital; if so, ask your picture to be printed in whatever color-format you choose. If it's digital, you're not limited to what's placed in front of you. The more I learn about digital, the more I like! And the savings . . .

mrspete... you may be right. However, I see that you notice it is different.

True black & white printing is actually quite simple. It is a multi-step process ( I learned how to do it in a class ) . However, if you're into "true black & white", then setting up a home development lab is reasonably priced,,, and fun, too! :)

Just slightly OT . . . isn't it cool to read threads like these and realize that these people that you know only as "cruise experts" actually have remarkable expertise in other areas of life? Who knew that MrsPete was such an accomplished photographer?? It's kinda funny, actually, to think that we (or at least *I*) spend so much time reading what people write on these boards, but I only know the "real world expertise" of a handful of them. Wouldn't THAT make an interesting thread!! Or maybe it's just me. :o

Quick question about pictures...we're leaving in two weeks for our first cruise on the Navigator...

Can you purchase more than one print of the same picture? We are traveling with grandparents and it is likely that I will want to purchase at least one formal picture and the grandparents might want to purchase the same one.

Do the photographers print and post just the one picture, or is there some way to ask them to print multiple copies?

Thanks!

Hucc -- I'm interested in learning to develop pictures myself, but I have not yet taken that leap.

Thanks, la_croisiere_s'amuse, for your kind words. This is my third year teaching high school photography. It's really fun, and I have learned a tremendous amount along the way! I would love to be a ship's photographer someday after I retire; I don't think I'll actually do that, but it's a fun dream.

Riley13 -- You can certainly ask them to print another copy of a certain picture! They're in the busines of making money, and they want you to buy, buy, buy. One note: you'll find that the photography studio is terribly crowded at certain times of day (like around dinner). If you're going to make special requests, you should try to pop in during the slow morning hours. You'll get more attention and cooperation from the staff.

One more note for the general good: B&W Photography is great for family group shots. Why? It's classic, and you don't need to try to coordinate everyone's clothing into a color scheme!

I'm sure you can ask to have any picture printed in black and white. On our cruise on the Serenade they took pictures in black and white (digital camera) on one night (where you could dress-up in "old clothes" they provided). We opted not to "dress-up" and really liked how the pictures came out but wanted them in color. They were more than happy to oblige, the next night we were able to pick them up. So I'm sure if they can make "black and white" pictures into color pictures that they can go the other way and make color pictures black and white if you'd like.

Archived