Best spot to watch Oasis/Allure leave?

DonnaK

We will be arriving in Fort Lauderdale one day in advance of our cruise on Allure, and we'll be staying at the Embassy Suites.

We'd like to watch Oasis sail away. There seems to be a lot of parks and jetties at the entrance/exit to the port - While watching on the webcam, I see people standing there waving from the shore.

What would be a good spot for us to watch from, and how would we get there from the hotel? (Can we walk, or must we take public transportation?)

One area which would not be that bad of a walk from the Embassy Suites would be the observation area of the 17th street Causeway bridge. It overlooks the port. To get closer, you will have to make your way to the the beach area. Steve (bajathree) was down in that area a few weeks ago watching the Oasis sail. I'm sure that he will be able to give you a better idea of how to get there.

Here is a link to a map that gives some directions on viewing the ships leaving from the jetty. http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=209626176627258382837.00045806e178faccbc7ab&msa=0

I found it on here a few years ago so it's a bit outdated. A few weeks ago I went to Florida and watched the ships leave from the jetty using this map. The directions worked to get to the secret (not really secret just hidden and unadvertised) beach access spot. I went to the beach with my mom while my dad looked for parking. It took him forever to find a place and then we could only stay till 6pm and a cop will often wait their to ticket at 6 exactly if your still their. I'm not exactly sure where that was though because he had to leave to move the car and picked us up (that was the day the Oasis was an hour late leaving). Here's the kind of view you get here:

DSC02965.JPG

DSC02980.JPG

When we sailed on the Oasis in January 2010 we stayed at the Hyatt and visited the jetty the day before as well. For this trip we didn't have a car and while the 17th street causeway isn't far, it's not a short walk either, but the beach is a long distance. We took a bus down to south beach park (the closest bus stop) and walked down the beach to the jetty. It's not a short walk but it wasn't too bad. If you have no car I would recommend taking the bus and walking down the beach (even if you have a car parking is easier to find this way). Here is a picture from here where you get on the beach, the building in the shot is where the inlet is:

100_2463.JPG

On our trip a few weeks ago we also did John Lloyd Park (the popular park that RCCL used to welcome the ships) and watched the ships leave. This was really easy to access with a short walk from the parking lot to the spot but it is not even comparable to the experience on the beach jetty. Here's the view:

DSC03136.JPG

DSC03142.JPG

Check out these videos from my trip to see just how different they are. July 23rd was the day that I was on the beach Jetty and July 24th starts out on Carrie B Cruises and shows a shot through the 17th street causeway (to get an idea of the view) and the shows the ships departing from John Lloyd Park:

July 23, 2011: Ft. Lauderdale

-Part 1 - CCNI Valparaiso & Oasis of the Seas Departure:

-Part 2 - Oasis of the Seas Inlet Transit:

-Photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/dmpicone/FloridaJuly232011

July 24, 2011: Ft. Lauderdale

-Part 1 - Port Everglades & Carnival Freedom:

-Part 2 - Allure of the Seas:

-Photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/dmpicone/FloridaJuly242011

Here are my photos from the beach day when I went in January 2010: https://picasaweb.google.com/dmpicone/OasisOfTheSeasJanuary12010DayInFtLauderdale

One area which would not be that bad of a walk from the Embassy Suites would be the observation area of the 17th street Causeway bridge. It overlooks the port. To get closer, you will have to make your way to the the beach area. Steve (bajathree) was down in that area a few weeks ago watching the Oasis sail. I'm sure that he will be able to give you a better idea of how to get there.

I would go with Gordon's suggestion. I did watch Oasis depart from the jetty on the Fort Lauderdale Beach side and it was a great vantage point.....however it's a bit tricky to get to...you would have to take a taxi and the closest public entrance to that point...it is a bit hard to find...also you would not find any taxi's waiting there for the return....you would have to walk a few blocks to the closest hotel (Lago Mar Resort and Club) and have them call you a taxi.

I would go with Gordon's suggestion. I did watch Oasis depart from the jetty on the Fort Lauderdale Beach side and it was a great vantage point.....however it's a bit tricky to get to...you would have to take a taxi and the closest public entrance to that point...it is a bit hard to find...also you would not find any taxi's waiting there for the return....you would have to walk a few blocks to the closest hotel (Lago Mar Resort and Club) and have them call you a taxi.

Steve, how many Diamond Plus passengers on your last cruise on Allure?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=29883847&postcount=68

Jimbo:)

Archived